Old 12-28-2009, 11:55 PM

Default Display resolution problem
I just installed PC-BSD on my desktop (already have it installed on my laptop), and I have a real problem with the display resolution. The monitor is a Dell 22" with a native resolution of 1920x1080. I indicated that in the final setup but the screen, while sharp, displays skewed images (wide). I have tried to change the resolution using system settings, but this REALLY messes up the display. I have also tried to change the settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, with no luck. I need to fix this or the setup is really unusable for me. Any help much appreciated.

Rem
Old 12-31-2009, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Display resolution problem
It's possible that there is an update for your graphics driver (taskbar tray lower right, icon should be a purple or yellow triangle or Start button ? System Settings ? Software & Updates). If it gets too out of whack try the installation again but chose the "System Update / Repair" option instead of "Fresh install" and then start all over with refreshed xorg settings. Most of your changes in any user files will still be there when it's done.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:53 PM

I wonder if the monitor is coming up correctly as the Dell 22" in the configuration wizard. /etc/X11/xorg.conf will tell all, so you should post it here. Also please post the model number of that Dell 22".

Additionally, it might be helpful to specify the horizontal and vertical settings for your specific monitor.

Finally, it is possible to locate and set some specific modelines for your monitor in xorg.conf.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:42 AM

Probably your monitor has nothing to do with this, but your graphics card and the driver used by pc-bsd. What version of pc-bsd are you using ? 7.1.1 or the 8-beta ? I have a similar problem with my desktop : i cannot get a higher resolution than 1024 and i am stuck with the vga driver because the (radeonhd) driver that comes with pc-bsd 7 does not recognize my card. But the new (hopelfully soon to be released) version 8 will.
So I would check my graphics card, see with x.org what driver it needs and then see what version comes with your installed pc-bsd version.
Hope this helps,
Beni.