Old 11-03-2009, 10:25 AM

Default rm /etc/X11/Xorg.conf no such file or directory. cannot star
Dear ALL

I have tried installing PCBSD to my HDD. boot process hangs up with the following message

Starting X

rm /etc/X11/Xorg.conf no such file or directory

auto detected settings failed using VESA 1024 X 768 mode

cannot boot into PCBSD 7.1.1 I have read the installation documentation of PCBSD and tried the 7 option to load VESA and after that on start up the 6 option but it is not working. same problem exists I have a WINFAST PX 6200 TC PCI EXpress card . GPU NVIDIA GE FORCE 6200 I dont know what to do experince hands in PCBSD please help

regards

dalfish
Old 11-03-2009, 12:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Default Re: rm /etc/X11/Xorg.conf no such file or directory. cannot star
You would have to boot the system into text mode and configure X by hand. Last time I used a GF6200 it worked with both the generic nv drivers and the official nvidia drivers under PC-BSD 32-bit.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:31 PM

Thanks Terry I am absolute beginner in PCBSD.How can boot in to the text mode What is the command for configuring X. I am trying to download it again as i have a suspicious of downloaded PCBSD 7.1. The installer detected the card as VGA card generic.I have another card with 1MB RAM will the installer detect If i change the card.

regards

dalfish
Old 11-04-2009, 04:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Personally I would consider the error message you wrote, to be either Programmer error or a corrupt system; also note that if downloading a new image, 7.1.1 is the latest ;-).

If there's no data on the box that you need to keep, I would try installing PC-BSD 7.1.1 from a fresh disk; working with X by hand is not hard but it is far from easy your first time out.

As to doing it by hand...

Unless the loader options in PC-BSD have changed from what I remember, the easiest way to boot the box into text mode is to take the "Boot PC-BSD in single user mode" option at start up.

From there you'll eventually get a prompt asking you to enter the path to a shell with /bin/sh being the default; pressing enter will run the shell. In "Single User Mode" only the administrative (root) account is online and a minimal of resources have been started for you.

You'll then have to make the system mount all the standard hard disk drives used with these commands: (type a line at the prompt, then hit enter to run it)

Code:
mount -u -w /
mount -a
The FreeBSD handbook has a chapter on X configuration that might be worth looking at, although it is not intended to for beginners.

The jist of it, is you run this command to create a basic xorg.conf file:

Code:
Xorg -configure
and saves it as a file here: ${HOME}/xorg.conf.new

You should be able to test to see if that config file is suitable with this command:

Code:
Xorg -config ${HOME}/xorg.conf.new -retro
If there is an error about the -retro option, try it again without the -retro part. (PC-BSD 7.1.1 shipped with a new enough Xorg, but 7.1.0 may not have; the release notes are no longer on pcbsd.org in easy view.)

Assuming it doesn't pop a cork and you're able to move the X mouse cursor around without puking at background image, you should have a working config file. If it doesn't work and things crash, then it's back to the drawing board. If it works fine but the keyboard/mouse don't work, it shouldn't be to hard to fix.

If it didn't work properly: you'll have to edit the xorg.conf.new file in a console based text editor, unless you are familiar with any, I suggest using nano or ee.

Code:
nano ${HOME}/xorg.conf.new
both are very easy to use and explains itself on screen.

The manual page for xorg.conf is here, and can be accessed at the command prompt by this command:

Code:
man xorg.conf
use the arrows to scroll up/down or space to scroll lines at a time; press q to exit the manual.

It is no simple task until you've done it a few times; you can find xorg.conf examples online off any decent search engine, particularly of interest would be ones for xorg 7.

When you do have a working config file, save a backup copy of it and move it into the system file:

Code:
cp ${HOME}/xorg.conf.new /root/xorg.conf.working
mv ${HOME}/xorg.conf.new /etc/xorg.conf

You can reboot the machine with the

Code:
reboot
command.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:00 PM

I'm seeing exactly the same problem described by dalfish. I've had about 6 hours of experience with PCBSD, most of which consisted of downloading the PCBSD 7.1.1 ISO file and burning the boot disc. The rest of my installation was off the network, so file corruption due to a bad CD isn't the issue.

After the installation is supposedly complete and one tries to boot the machine for the first time, it gets stuck in an infinite loop, continuously repeating the following on the screen (as best I could scribble down with pencil on paper by hitting Ctrl-C and Pause repeatedly):

Code:
Determining monitor refresh rate capabilities...
X: not found
cat: /root/xorg.conf.new: No such file or directory
cat: /root/xorg.conf.new: No such file or directory
/usr/PCBSD/xorg-gui/scripts/monmodel.sh: cannot open /root/xorg.conf.new: No such file or directory
/usr/PCBSD/xorg-gui/scripts/monvendor.sh: cannot open /root/xorg.conf.new: No such file or directory
/usr/PCBSD/xorg-gui/scripts/cardboard.sh: cannot open /root/xorg.conf.new: No such file or directory
/usr/PCBSD/xorg-gui/scripts/cardbus.sh: cannot open /root/xorg.conf.new: No such file or directory
/usr/PCBSD/xorg-gui/scripts/cardvendor.sh: cannot open /root/xorg.conf.new: No such file or directory
Please wait... Starting X Configuration Utility
Using saved /usr/PCBSD/xorg-gui/conf/xorg.conf.basic from install...
Please wait... Starting X...
rm: /usr/PCBSD/xorg-gui/.xsettings.sh :  No such file or directory
Auto detected settings failed... Using failsafe VESA 1024x768 mode...
rm: /etc/X11/xorg.conf/:  No such file or directory
... and so on, in an endless loop.

Mind you, this was off the "CD BootOnly - Boot only CD for network & internet installs" disc that I burned. As far as I know, after the disc boots, it performs an integrity check to make sure it's good before proceeding with the installation of PCBSD. That being the case, if there was any corruption of files or the directory structure, it had to have been caused by the PCBSD 7.1.1 system installer. This is puzzling, because the installer program ran in graphics mode, at least in 640x480 resolution, perhaps higher, so why should it fail to run in at least the same mode once the system has been installed on the hard drive? If it was due to programmer error, it was the guy(s) who programmed the PCBSD 7.1.1 installer, because all I did was stick the bootable CD into the drive, turn on the machine and click a few checkboxes.

This is Not Good. This is a show-stopper, as far as I'm concerned. Moreover, Bill Gates, much maligned as he is, would never have considered asking a user to boot Windows 95 in "text mode" to tweak video driver settings by hand in a forlorn hope of eventually getting the GUI to start.

(By the way, the monitor is a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900u and the video card is a Voodoo 4500 AGP, neither of which are "bleeding edge" hardware, and have been handled just fine by a number of operating systems over the years.)