Old 01-30-2013, 05:41 AM

Default Dual Boot - Grub 2 with Debian Linux
As a prelude .. the instructions for Grub 2 on the Wiki are incorrect. I have just gone through the pain of configuring a dual boot using Grub2 for PC-BSD 9.1. FWIW, here is my experience. (I've written this in the discussion on the wiki)

Computer HDD Setup

I have Debian Linux (wheezy) on the first primary partition, with PC-BSD on the second primary partition using the zfs filesystem (the alternative works too). When I installed PC-BSD, I installed its bootloader which overwrote Grub2 on the MBR.

Recovering Debian Grub2

To re-install Grub2 on the MBR in a Debian system, the installation cd/dvd have the tools specifically built in. Google on the Debian Wiki and it directs you to the appropriate section of the Debian installation guide.
  • Boot using the Debian Install Disk
  • Advanced Options
  • Recovery Mode
You will progress through various screens which are the first part of the Debian Installer - don't worry too much because none of the info will be written to the disk. Eventually ....
  • A screen will present the available partitions - select the one you want to be the root partition. (ie the root partition of your Debian install)
  • Select the menu entry to re-install Grub

Manual Menu Entries in Debian Grub2

Debian automatically builds the Grub2 config file " /boot/grub/grub.cfg" . There is no point editing it (and they warn you about this - it is a text file that you can read) because it is over-written the next time grub.cfg is created. Instead, if you look at the end of the file, you will see that they point you to a customisation file " /etc/grub.d/40_custom " . Open it in an editor (as superuser) and you can add your manual entries to the bottom. Save the file and then once again as superuser: " update-grub " This will incorporate your custimisations in a new grub.cfg file.

Adding PC-BSD to Grub2

The entry I eventually found was for me (after piecing things together) was:

menuentry "PC-BSD 9.1" {
set root='(hd0,2)'
chainloader +1
}

"hd0,2" -
  • 0 stands for the first hard disk, because you count your disks from zero.
  • 2 stands for the second partition because you count your partitions from one.

chainloader +1 allows grub to go to the bootloader for PC-BSD which I installed initially if you remember and which is loaded at the start of the PC-BSD partition.

Hope this helps someone stay sane.

Rgds

PS ...
Practical Example

This thread is a practical example of how:
* The installer puts the boot record on the disk it is installed to (even if this is disk 2)
* Grub2 can easily be configured to boot PC-BSD on, say, Disk 3

http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=19441

Last edited by GeoffShep; 02-27-2013 at 04:51 AM. Reason: clarification of meaning of "root partition" + practical example
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeoffShep For This Useful Post:
anika200 (09-30-2013), Micros (10-29-2013), Tiberius Duval (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 01:50 PM

Geoff's configuration also works with other debian related linux'es, tested with Ubuntu 10.04, 12.04, and Mint 13.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by GeoffShep View Post
As a prelude .. the instructions for Grub 2 on the Wiki are incorrect. I have just gone through the pain of configuring a dual boot using Grub2 for PC-BSD 9.1. FWIW, here is my experience. (I've written this in the discussion on the wiki)

Computer HDD Setup

I have Debian Linux (wheezy) on the first primary partition, with PC-BSD on the second primary partition using the zfs filesystem (the alternative works too). When I installed PC-BSD, I installed its bootloader which overwrote Grub2 on the MBR.

Recovering Debian Grub2

To re-install Grub2 on the MBR in a Debian system, the installation cd/dvd have the tools specifically built in. Google on the Debian Wiki and it directs you to the appropriate section of the Debian installation guide.
  • Boot using the Debian Install Disk
  • Advanced Options
  • Recovery Mode
You will progress through various screens which are the first part of the Debian Installer - don't worry too much because none of the info will be written to the disk. Eventually ....
  • A screen will present the available partitions - select the one you want to be the root partition. (ie the root partition of your Debian install)
  • Select the menu entry to re-install Grub

Manual Menu Entries in Debian Grub2

Debian automatically builds the Grub2 config file " /boot/grub/grub.cfg" . There is no point editing it (and they warn you about this - it is a text file that you can read) because it is over-written the next time grub.cfg is created. Instead, if you look at the end of the file, you will see that they point you to a customisation file " /etc/grub.d/40_custom " . Open it in an editor (as superuser) and you can add your manual entries to the bottom. Save the file and then once again as superuser: " update-grub " This will incorporate your custimisations in a new grub.cfg file.

Adding PC-BSD to Grub2

The entry I eventually found was for me (after piecing things together) was:

menuentry "PC-BSD 9.1" {
set root='(hd0,2)'
chainloader +1
}

"hd0,2" -
  • 0 stands for the first hard disk, because you count your disks from zero.
  • 2 stands for the second partition because you count your partitions from one.

chainloader +1 allows grub to go to the bootloader for PC-BSD which I installed initially if you remember and which is loaded at the start of the PC-BSD partition.

Hope this helps someone stay sane.

Rgds

PS ...
Practical Example

This thread is a practical example of how:
* The installer puts the boot record on the disk it is installed to (even if this is disk 2)
* Grub2 can easily be configured to boot PC-BSD on, say, Disk 3

http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=19441
GeoffShep,

Can your steps in debian grub2 be also automated on PC-BSD's grub2 installer? grub2 in PC-BSD 10 did not detect my Linux installation also
Old 02-24-2014, 09:36 PM

Sorry, I haven't looked at Grub in PC-BSD ... not sure I'm going to get the time for a bit either ....

Rgds