Old 09-11-2009, 05:44 PM

Default Is it possible to resize my partition?
Ok guys, I installed PC-BSD Galileo as a test on a 25gb partition (250gb drive). The rest of the drive is currently blank. I ended up liking it so much that I now want to keep it, problem is I've spent many hours setting it up exactly like I want it and installing software. I don't want to completely reinstall, so is there any way I can just expand my partition to take up the rest of the free space? Thanks.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Is it possible to resize my partition?
I've done this using GPARTED in Puppy Linux to adjust the size of my partitions, whether WinXP, which I shrunk, Linux ext2, which I also shrunk, and BSD, which I expanded. This was done after all four operating systmes were installed on their seperate partitions. I believe the BSD version should be able to accomplish the same thing without any problems. Of course, you might want to get some more opinions before commiting a drastic action. Safety in a multitude of councils, ya' know! I've done a few things that some others still don't believe could be done, just because nobody told me I couldn't. Sometimes we amaze ourselves. Other times we re-install.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:56 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
depends on what kind of file system you used, if it was the standard UFS stuff -> look at growfs

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?quer ... ormat=html

The various programs working though GNU Parted may understand how to work with growfs as an external project, but GNU parted itself doesn't look to useful for UFS: http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/features.shtml
Old 09-13-2009, 08:46 AM

Gparted just understands NTFS, FAT and XFS, so it would be useless.

Check the growfs manual. Growfs is the way to expand your partition. It has some quirks, so you might be unsuccesful. I used to make the following procedure to 'resize' my partitions:

Have an external UFS drive (mine was usb2)
Using tar with the - -C flag (in order to facsimile copy all the files).
Using a vanilla freebsd system, made a minimal install of the corresponding system (in this case is 7.2-STABLE).
Restore with tar.

BTW, If you used UFS or XFS, YOU CAN NOT SHRINK YOUR PARTITION, PERIOD.