Old 09-10-2009, 02:52 AM

Default Troubles with HP Deskjet D1660
I've recently replaced my nine year-old printer with a very cheap new one. I'm no stranger to CUPS and general printer setup, but after putting my blood, sweat and tears (okay, mostly sweat and tears) into trying to get this piece of plastic to work, I'm asking for a bit of help. I've tried the HP device manager (uses HPLIP 1.* instead of the latest 3.*) that comes with PC-BSD and I've tried the latest HPLIP port to no avail. The HP device manager won't detect my printer, likely due to the old HPLIP base. I've installed HPLIP on an Ubuntu box yesterday and it worked without flaw with my printer.

The printer manager asks for a driver from the list or a PPD file from an installation disc. The printer isn't in the list. I've scoured and used the search tool to look for .ppd files on the disc. I've also looked on HP's site, and they don't have anything. If I had that PPD... Mac OS X apparently uses PPD files, but I can't see anything Mac related on the disc. Do PPD files use a different extension?

Does anyone have any ideas, or does anyone have a D1660 that's working in PC-BSD?

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2009, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Troubles with HP Deskjet D1660
It's up and running now. I had a feeling that PPDs were included in the HPLIP source. I had to download the HPLIP source, extract the hpijs PPD file from ppd and then install a new printer. I'll leave this up for others.

This thing prints beautifully for a $34 printer...