Old 08-29-2009, 11:44 PM

Default No sound in flash 9 youtube
Just installed PCBSD Galileo and it's excellent. Sound works fine on VLC, but not getting any sound on youtube.

Is there a way to fix this?
Old 08-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: No sound in flash 9 youtube
Flash sucks. The best solution is to not use it because it's not open source, which means that unless Adobe ports it over to BSD you're likely to have issues with it. BSD actually has to use the Flash Player for Linux because Adobe hasn't made one for FreeBSD\BSD.
However, since you need the Flash Player to view videos on Youtube let me see if I can help. The following is from http://www.pcbsd.fr/content/view/39/30/

Quote:
Adobe Flash

The use of Adobe Flash is getting more and more prevalent on the web in ads, flash games, video sites etc.

Until now it has only been possible to play flash movies with proprietary software, but recently an interesting and much promising project, Gnash (GNU Flash) has emerged. Gnash is an open-source Flash player able to play Adobe Flash animations and movies.

The two architectures for Flash that are being supported by Adobe are Windows and Linux. With no native FreeBSD version available yet, the only way to see Flash web content on PC-BSD is by using Adobe's Flash Player for Linux.

Following the steps below, you should be able to set up Flash in the three mainstream browsers, Konqueror, Firefox and Opera.
a) Konqueror

The easiest way to set up Flash support in Konqueror is by downloading the Flash plugin for Konqueror from the PBI Directory. Running this PBI may take some time as it needs to download and install the plugin. Please be patient and wait until the installation is confirmed.

In order to have Konqueror know that you have installed flash, you need to search for the new plugin. Go to: "Settings > Configure Konqueror" and click the "Scan for New Plugins" button.

Note: It is recommended that you update your ports tree first (see Chapter 4.1: Installing Software using Ports). Restart now Konqueror and Flash should be working.
b) Firefox

Adobe Flash is currently not working with the Firefox PBI (FreeBSD Firefox version), even if the Flash PBI for Konqueror is installed. On many systems this Konqueror Flash PBI unfortunately makes the Firefox browser crash when it accesses a Flash containing web page. Crashing can be avoided if the Firefox Flashblock Extension is installed.

If you need Flash, love Firefox and you're not afraid to "get your hands dirty", you can install the Linux version of Firefox that can handle the native Flash plugin. To install Linux Firefox from the package repository, type as superuser in the command line:
# pkg_add -r firefox

You must have a Linux Compatiblity Layer installed on your system to install Firefox for Linux. (A Linux Compatibility layer is simplistically explained a sort of layer that translates Linux system language into code PC-BSD understands)

Now install the Flash Plugin, by typing as super user:
# portinstall linux-flashplugin

Note: It is recommended that you update your ports tree first (see Chapter 4.1: Installing Software using Ports). In case your Firefox font resolution is too big now, go to: "Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Display resolution" to decrease the resolution settings.
c) Opera

To have Flash working in Opera, it is recommended you install the Linux version of Opera from the Ports Tree. Type as super user:
# cd /usr/ports/www/linux-opera/ && make install clean
# cd /usr/ports/www/linux-flashplugin7/ && make install clean

Note: It is recommended that you update your ports tree first (see Chapter 4.1: Installing Software using Ports)
Old 08-30-2009, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the link, I'll play around with that some more. The thing is the flash works nicely on firefox and konquerer except that there is no sound.

However, one player (forgot which exactly) wasn't giving me any sound either when playing a movier or mp3. Only VLC had sound. Also during start up and shut down of the OS I'm getting sound.

So wondering if there is some deeper issue here with the OSS?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:26 PM

I don't think it's an OSS problem. I've seen this problem around the forums and I think it may just be Flash 9 and your browser not getting along. I'm using SeaMonkey and I haven't had any problems. You could try using SeaMonkey or Arora from pbidir.com and see if that fixes the Flash sound problem. You could also try using Gnash instead, but I don't think there's a user-friendly way of setting this up. Last time I tried Gnash, it was playing YouTube videos flawlessly.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Last time I played with linux flash9+bsd firefox3, attempting things like youtube would result in errors related to ALSAs ability to deal with my sound card.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:40 AM

Thanks for your postings, I will follow your guides