Old 08-24-2009, 09:54 AM

Default Cannot get the Lexmark x6170 working with CUPS
I found instruction how to get the x6170 working on Ubuntu with CUPS:
http://blog.k33bz.com/how-i-got-my-l...on-ubuntu-804/

It uses the driver from a Lexmark Z55. I managed to extract the PPD with 7-zip on Wine and used the PPD as a driver in the Add a new printer wizard. Even when I used the PPD it still couldn't print. So I guess it needs additional configuring like in the blog post, but I have no idea how as I couldn't find Alien for PCBSD.

I have basic Linux knowledge and I'm new to FreeBSD. If I don't get the printer working I'll probably switch back to Windows or a Linux because my parents use the PC for work and It's important they can print.

Some help pleas
Old 08-24-2009, 03:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Default Re: Cannot get the Lexmark x6170 working with CUPS
Alien is a tool that converts between Linux package formats, details are on wikipedia. You can use rpm and dpkg to manually set things up within the Linux ABI (the FreeBSD handbook covers rpm I believe), getting that to play with a BSD version of CUPS may be a different story if there are any execuitble files involved rather then CUPS data files like PPD. One could also extract a deb and pick apart whats needed, then put them where they need to be for CUPS to work.

The Z55 is marked as a paper weight on openprinting.org and your printer is marked partially working. Odds are the printer is like most home user Z* printers from Lexmark if a tweaked Z55 driver works for it, which means it likely sucks for Unix and Linux systems. If you're going to be using the x6170, I would suggest Windows. If you're going to use a unix or linux based system, I would suggest a decent printer that understands PostScript natively. Some not so good printers also offer Linux only drivers.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Cannot get the Lexmark x6170 working with CUPS
I will install Windows XP as a multi-boot for printing and gaming then.
Maybe I'll also install the Z55 driver for printing a simple document. But I'll into that another time.

Thank you for your answer, it was very clear and understandable.