Old 08-16-2009, 10:08 PM

Default PCBSD/Ubuntu 9.04 dual boot
Disclaimer: I am a BSD-newbie!

Hi!

I've just installed PCBSD on my selfbuilt desktop PC and I must say that I am mighty impressed by it (though it does not discover either of my wireless sticks... but I'm going to buy a new internal wireless card so never mind that).

One thing is not working though. I need to be able to boot ubuntu as well and I chose to install the PCBSD-bootloader over GRUB to the MBR since I assumed that it would discover Ubuntu, kind of like Grub does with windows and other linux-es. I don't get the alternative to boot any other operating system than PCBSD at start so I was wondering if there is any way to restore GRUB to MBR or to make the PCBSD bootloader discover ubuntu.

I can use the option (8) Exit to loader but that only gives me a command prompt with very basic commands and no way to find any form of GRUB or anything...

So help please :wink:
Old 08-17-2009, 03:18 AM

Send a message via MSN to Protagonist
Default Re: PCBSD/Ubuntu 9.04 dual boot
Originally Posted by zeryth
Disclaimer: I am a BSD-newbie!

Hi!

I've just installed PCBSD on my selfbuilt desktop PC and I must say that I am mighty impressed by it (though it does not discover either of my wireless sticks... but I'm going to buy a new internal wireless card so never mind that).

One thing is not working though. I need to be able to boot ubuntu as well and I chose to install the PCBSD-bootloader over GRUB to the MBR since I assumed that it would discover Ubuntu, kind of like Grub does with windows and other linux-es. I don't get the alternative to boot any other operating system than PCBSD at start so I was wondering if there is any way to restore GRUB to MBR or to make the PCBSD bootloader discover ubuntu.

I can use the option (8) Exit to loader but that only gives me a command prompt with very basic commands and no way to find any form of GRUB or anything...

So help please :wink:
A lot of people seem to prefer GAG for a bootloader. You might give that a try. I still prefer to use the BIOS boot method. On my system I just press F12 when the system starts to boot to bring up the BIOS boot menu. I can then select which of my three HDs to boot from. Of course this only works if you use one HD per installed OS.
There are alternatives
--------------------------------------
Old 08-17-2009, 04:30 AM

This method involves installing PC-BSD again, although if your drive is partitioned just right (separate partitions for /home, etc.), it's not that big of a deal:

Partition a chunk of your drive for PC-BSD, and leave your Ubuntu partition alone. Go through the steps until you get to Drive Selection. Tell it to install the PC-BSD bootloader. Finish the steps and install. This should detect Ubuntu and put it in the boot menu. This is what I'd do, anyway. Hope this helps.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:51 AM

Tried GAG to no avail...

I found an option saying linux on my second hard drive (which is absolutely correct, except the fact that it says that it is formatted as ext2 which it isn't... it's ext4) and I set that one up, but when I try to load it, it says "no/damaged boot record" or something like that. I have now restored the PCBSD boot loader to the master boot record.

I don't have the option to select hard drives from my BIOS. My brothers Eee PC has that option, but that doesn't help me very much.

EDIT: Oh, and Cobalt, what difference will your method make? I chose to install the bootloader at startup, so if I run the installer again, how will that discover Ubuntu? Or did I misunderstand what you wanted me to do?

Thanks!

EDIT2: I have not managed to do anything with the system and it was not exactly hard to install, so I don't mind installing it again. I have not made separate partitions for the system and home though. I went with the easy way all way through the installer (first install)

Can the GRUB shipped with Ubuntu detect PSBSD perhaps? If so, I could run a super grub disc and rescue GRUB and make GRUB detect PCBSD somehow
Old 08-17-2009, 06:41 PM

ZERYTH: It all actually depends on which OS you install first and which one you install last. From experience, I'd say that any linux derivative (Ubuntu, Fedora, etc)would not be able to read bsd because of the totally different FS altogether. If you install Ubuntu first, and bsd last, the btx bootloader should be able to override Ubuntu's GRUB which is in the MBR. Anyways' GRUB is fairly easy to edit because it's some text file somewhere in /boot but the initial loader (F Key types)installs itself in the BIOS which then passes the command to the BTX in the MBR. Anyway, do your best to tinker, tinker, tinker
Old 08-17-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by krakatoa
ZERYTH: It all actually depends on which OS you install first and which one you install last. From experience, I'd say that any linux derivative (Ubuntu, Fedora, etc)would not be able to read bsd because of the totally different FS altogether. If you install Ubuntu first, and bsd last, the btx bootloader should be able to override Ubuntu's GRUB which is in the MBR. Anyways' GRUB is fairly easy to edit because it's some text file somewhere in /boot but the initial loader (F Key types)installs itself in the BIOS which then passes the command to the BTX in the MBR. Anyway, do your best to tinker, tinker, tinker
The boot menu list is located in /boot/grub/menu.lst in Ubuntu. From the terminal you can run the following to pull it up with rights that will allow you to edit it....

Code:
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
The boot manager in PC-BSD is is problematic in my opinion. I tried to setting a up a box to dual boot XP and PC-BSD. XP was installed first. I never could get PC-BSD to boot. Although, XP would boot if selected. I finally gave up and just installed PC-BSD only.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:24 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
The standard means of booting Linux is through chain loading, then again that is the standard means of starting any OS, and in fact the whole computer. BSDs boot loader expects to chain load a boot loader out of the partition it is to 'boot" an OS from; that's how it starts BSD, that's how it starts Windows, that's how it starts Linux. If you want to use BSDs boot loader with Linux, you will need to install a loader into the Linux / partition; GRUB and LILO work well, in fact the 'advanced' options at the end of a Ubuntu install will allow you to do that. (i.e. install GRUB to its / rather then MBR)

If one can get the system booting, GRUB can also be installed into PC-BSD and used as normal; run a Google for installing GRUB on FreeBSD. I'm not sure how the *BSDs react to ext4, but ext2/ext3 file systems can be accessed in order to bring over the menu.lst file.

Originally Posted by ebozzz
[The boot manager in PC-BSD is is problematic in my opinion. I tried to setting a up a box to dual boot XP and PC-BSD. XP was installed first. I never could get PC-BSD to boot. Although, XP would boot if selected. I finally gave up and just installed PC-BSD only.

In my experience problems with the boot loader generally mean one of 3 things: 0/ you're doing it wrong (and likely forgot how to read before ye write), 1/ the installer fouled up and is causing problems with the startup procedures (I've had this with both Ubuntu and PC-BSD), 2/ there is an edge case or something funky involved (only one I've experienced is VirtualBox+BSD causing a 'crash' of sorts from the boot loader!)

Problems with PC-BSD failing to load and go multi-user are usually more common then problems with the boot loader.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:51 AM

Terry,

Thanks for the reply. I actually followed the instructions in the Quick Guide. I also looked at information on the Wiki and searched the Knowledge Database prior to attempting the install.

http://docs.pcbsd.org/

No luck for me so I opted to just set up a PC-BSD box. It's not a big deal with me as I have other machines with XP & Linux on my network. It's strange but after my installs failed, I searched Google and found that there were others having similar problems with getting the OS to dual-boot. Here's a recent one from the Ubuntu forum......

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1198937

Now, I do not have all of the details regarding the problems others are having. I also feel positive that if I had pursued the issue longer, I would have found a solution. Unfortunately, I did not have a lot of time to get this install completed. Maybe I will revisit the matter later?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by ebozzz
The boot manager in PC-BSD is is problematic in my opinion. I tried to setting a up a box to dual boot XP and PC-BSD. XP was installed first. I never could get PC-BSD to boot. Although, XP would boot if selected. I finally gave up and just installed PC-BSD only.
The thing with pc-bsd is that it needs to be installed in "unallocated" disk space and not in a partition created using fdisk, for example. By default, pc-bsd makes its own partitions using its own FS. My dual-boot xp and pc-bsd box works seamlessly. BTW, I use gparted in deleting, formatting, and resizing (if required) partitions.

Now, with Ubuntu and pc-bsd, the same principle should work. Good luck, Zeryth !
Old 08-18-2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by krakatoa
The thing with pc-bsd is that it needs to be installed in "unallocated" disk space and not in a partition created using fdisk, for example. By default, pc-bsd makes its own partitions using its own FS. My dual-boot xp and pc-bsd box works seamlessly. BTW, I use gparted in deleting, formatting, and resizing (if required) partitions.
My situation was a clean install of XP and PC-BSD on a 320 GB drive. Using the Windows partitioner, I created an 80 GB space that was intended for XP. I then formatted that 80 GB as NTFS. The remaining 200+ GB was left unallocated (free space) and I told the PC-BSD installer to use that with the box checked to include the BSD boot loader. It didn't work with that method. Are you saying that I need to use an app like GParted to create my Windows partition?

I tried several times unsuccessfully but I was not able to get PC-BSD to load. As I mentioned in my previous post, I may revisit it at some point in the future. For right now I plan to run it as is so that I can get a better understanding of how to manage this OS.