Old 08-03-2009, 12:46 PM

Default Run TightVNC server before logging in to KDE - how?
Recently i got a rather new laptop with broken screen, and yesterday decided to play with it a little - using external monitor i installed a PC-BSD 7.1.1, VitualBox from PBIs and TightVNC from ports. It all worked, but i got naked X in my VNC session.

After 2 hours of studying a PC-BSD way of dealing with ports tree, i added all other things needed by TightVNC startup script from ports too, and a Fluxbox as a wm for it.

Now all works brilliant - i disconnected laptop from display and put it on the top of bookcase. But if ever need to restart it, or get a long power blockade i'll need to connect it back, login to KDE and start TightVNC manually - it is rather frustrating. Even if i add it to KDE Autostart folder, i'll still need to login from keyboard, it sux.

So, is there any way to start TightVNC from my user BEFORE i login to KDE?

Update: well, i made a detour: login to ssh, start vncserver, login to vnc. It works, but feels not very good. Roundabout way is roundabout after all, so primary question is still topical.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Run TightVNC server before logging in to KDE - how?
I might be missing something, but wouldn't autologin work for this situation? You could set the default environment to Fluxbox and go into its startup script (.fluxbox in home directory) to add your VNC server command. Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Default Re: Run TightVNC server before logging in to KDE - how?
just cram it in your rc.local file if there are no rc.d scripts for it. For details, read the rc man page.