Old 06-22-2009, 12:32 AM

Default WiFi card Intel/PRO Wireless 4965AGN how to
Please, would somebody give step by step instructions on setting up the INTEL/PRO Wireless 4965agn on a T61 Laptop running PS-BSD 7.1 ? Card is not seen by OS :cry:

When I say step by step I mean include all code as needed to do the process. Leave nothing out so that someone who has never used PC-BSD or Linux can make this card work. ops:

Thank you
lfever
Old 06-22-2009, 07:52 PM

Default Re: WiFi card Intel/PRO Wireless 4965AGN how to
Originally Posted by lfever
Please, would somebody give step by step instructions on setting up the INTEL/PRO Wireless 4965agn on a T61 Laptop running PS-BSD 7.1 ? Card is not seen by OS :cry:

When I say step by step I mean include all code as needed to do the process. Leave nothing out so that someone who has never used PC-BSD or Linux can make this card work. ops:

Thank you
lfever
I'm having the same problem with my Intel Wireless 5000 AGN. Apparently the iwn driver is/has being/been updated and has been placed into CURRENT. Also, you may want to try "ndisgen" ) if you need steps let me know)...

Although, when I tried it on my Intel/Pro 5000 AGN my system froze. Apparently that is or has been fixed as well. I spent all day yesterday CVSup'ing my SRC tree last night to compile a new kernel with the updated drivers... never got around to it though =P
Old 06-22-2009, 11:14 PM

Step by step instructions won't guarantee success on your particular system.

Very comprehensive instructions on ndisgen are on this link here.

Extraction of sys files is very particular for each vendor (vendor <> chipset maker) And I can't possibly guess what cab/zip/autoextractable file is the one, or what .sys or .inf files, in what folder, what version (98/xp/vista), etc, or if you need an extra binary file. Because step by step implies that, and there isn't a foolproof way. You need to think a bit and figure it out using common sense, as we all do. Some of us here don't even have a winbox available anymore.

Spoonfeeding is not well seen around here. Help yourself a bit.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:24 PM

Yeah....

Well lfever. give that link above a try and feel free to drop me a PM if you have any questions!

Good Luck!

Tzun
Old 06-23-2009, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by graedus
Step by step instructions won't guarantee success on your particular system.

Very comprehensive instructions on ndisgen are on this link here.

Extraction of sys files is very particular for each vendor (vendor <> chipset maker) And I can't possibly guess what cab/zip/autoextractable file is the one, or what .sys or .inf files, in what folder, what version (98/xp/vista), etc, or if you need an extra binary file. Because step by step implies that, and there isn't a foolproof way. You need to think a bit and figure it out using common sense, as we all do. Some of us here don't even have a winbox available anymore.

Spoonfeeding is not well seen around here. Help yourself a bit.
Ouch! If I am reading you correctly I would say you are saying SHAME ON ME for not thinking, using some common sense and asking to be spoon-fed. I will make no attempt to justify my actions but, not to worry, I won't trouble the FRIENDLY PC-BSD FORUM again.

Thank you for your help.
lfever
Old 07-14-2009, 08:53 PM

More than 1800 clicks on this and the other thread about intel 4695 make me believe there are many people with the same problem.

The PC-BSD Guide says: PC-BSD is
Quote:
"an easy-to-use FreeBSD-based operating system for the desktop, with very little configuration necessary. A polished, full-featured, free-of-charge, open-source operating system with a BSD license, based on FreeBSD, that anybody could use, from the beginner to the advanced user alike, was a dream slowly being realised."
and further
Quote:
make software installation as painless as possible and as easy as clicking a mouse button. To install software you simply double-click on a ready-to-use pre-built software package and the software will be installed without you having to worry about dependencies and other technical details. PBIs can be downloaded for free from http://www.pbidir.com.
and still
Quote:
PC-BSD has been designed with the "casual" computer user in mind. Installing the system is simply a matter of a few mouse clicks and a few minutes for the installation process to finish. Hardware such as video, sound, network and other devices are auto-detected and available at the first system startup. Home users will immediately feel comfortable with PC-BSD's KDE desktop interface.
I understand that nobody has any obligations to post any tutorials for beginners. But, I would wish that the beginners, for whome pc-bsd is said to be made, too, were not abused for their requests for help.

Amen
Old 07-14-2009, 09:05 PM

Which is why I said "feel free to drop me a PM if you have any questions!"

How about we don't let one bad apple ruin the party

Back on topic please...

So I updated my src tree to 7-stable on my laptop.

Lan (msk0) worked nicely.

wLan (iwn0) nothing. ndis0 didnt freeze this time. However I wasn't able to acquire a wireless signal via wpa_supplicant... eh, it's progress!

Who's working on the iwn0 Intel Wireless driver anyhow?
Old 07-14-2009, 09:26 PM

I refer to this

I was in the middle of writing a detailed guide when the system froze... damn.

Quote:
Here is the short version abut getting Intel 4965agn running on PCBSD 7.0.2:
- get the FreeBSD source if you don't have it
- download the drivers from http://sites.google.com/site/bsdgooch/files
- apply the diff file in /usr and copy the src/ folder from the archive to /usr as well
- compile the iwn and iwnfw modules
- copy the 2 .ko files (iwnfw.ko and if_iwn.ko) to /boot/kernel
- add the following line to /boot/loader.conf:
Zitat:
legal.intel_iwn.license_ack=1
if_iwn_load="YES"
iwnfw_load="YES"

Reboot your system. If everything is fine, you should see the iwn0 interface. You can configure it with the network configuration "wizard" in KDE.
Did you try this? I don't know if it is about the right driver for your card.

I would like to try it, but for me the "how-to" is too short to understand and use it.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:52 PM

Sweet! I'll give it a try a bit later today! I have the Intel/Pro Wireless 5000ANG btw.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:46 AM

Followed the instructions.

Put if_iwn_load="YES" & iwnfw_load="YES" into loader.conf and crashed the system during boot.

Couldn't even get into single user mode!

I'm back in 7-Stable w/ XFCE4... Eh, working to many hours to deal with it right now! lol!

Waiting or 8.0!