Old 06-20-2009, 10:47 AM

Default Realtek RTL8187 USB Wireless LAN
hello everybody,

i was wondering if pc-bsd supports Realtek RTL8187 USB Wireless LAN, FreeBSD 7.2 doesn't support it.
i know that pc-bsd aims at desktop users, so i am hoping it already supports it or is willing to support it on the short run.

thanks.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Realtek RTL8187 USB Wireless LAN
PC-BSD does not support more than the FreeBSD. Actually less, because of Ports sometimes don't work. And some Ports are not for KDE4, like Synaptics Touchpad - they don't work at all.

But the point why I write this here and know is, that I always get here again by google.

For now, there is no USB-WLAN working with FreeBSD or PC-BSD. If you have the driver, it does not mean it's gonna work. First you have the load the driver manually in the loader.conf. And then you have it in the PC-BSD Network Manager, and you know, that PC-BSD just makes FreeBSD easier to use. That's all. But then I cannot scan. Just nothing happens. NDIS works not at all as good as ndiswrapper in Linux. I didn't make any of my USB-WLANs work with it.

It could be, that an Atheros USB-WLAN gonna work, but there are different ones and you need luck. Actually I saved the 8,90 Euro and took Mint 7.

And I found a German forum where the people are okay, here they are not. They don't wanna waste their time with Rookies, coming from Linux. I even ""threatend"" one of the admins with Remote Viewing :evil: :shock: :mrgreen: So like you see you don't get an answer. In German I use bsdforen.de, but it's for all the BSDs and PC-BSD specific things are a little a problem.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Realtek RTL8187 USB Wireless LAN
First of all,
Hi guys. I will reply both your thread but I need to follow an order.

Originally Posted by MatisseGroening
PC-BSD does not support more than the FreeBSD. Actually less, because of Ports sometimes don't work. And some Ports are not for KDE4, like Synaptics Touchpad - they don't work at all.

[...]

And I found a German forum where the people are okay, here they are not. They don't wanna waste their time with Rookies, coming from Linux. I even ""threatend"" one of the admins with Remote Viewing :evil: :shock: :mrgreen: So like you see you don't get an answer. In German I use bsdforen.de, but it's for all the BSDs and PC-BSD specific things are a little a problem.
Dear MatisseGroening, I am sorry but I do not know your name and the problem you had inside the forum but things you said do not reflect the truth. I think that we should use the forum as the last chance we have when we do not know how to solve a problem. Someone could say "Ask a question the smartest way". You do not know how many threads like "I have this device is it supported?" I replied during this two years, and let me tell you this is another case. You could check by yourself here http://www.google.com/search?client=ope ... 8&oe=utf-8 it took 0.18s only.

Besides I think that another important resource you have to check should be the freebsd handbook, but you have to spend time reading and I know that sometimes this could be a pain (this is not a sarcastic sententece I know this is it). If you do not get the answer to solve the problem following one of these two ways you surely need to use this forum, but let me say that it is easy to understand if someone used google or the handbook before posting a problem. Finally I would also like to say that this is a forum made by users like me, that do not always know the answer to a problem and this could be one of the reasons for you do not always get a correct solution for a problem or you do not get an answer at all.

Now for someting usefull.

Originally Posted by german77
hello everybody,

i was wondering if pc-bsd supports Realtek RTL8187 USB Wireless LAN, FreeBSD 7.2 doesn't support it.
i know that pc-bsd aims at desktop users, so i am hoping it already supports it or is willing to support it on the short run.

thanks.
Hi,
it seems that you have at least one choice. You should give a try to ndisgen (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/han ... TWORK-NDIS) to get your wireless card working. I am not 100% sure that this could solve your problem because this thread http://www.nabble.com/RTL8187-drivers-f ... lan-device)-td18981684.html is a little bit old.

I hope I clarified your problem.

Bye,
Daniele

P.S: to avoid an endless discussion about who is or who is not right I will not reply this thread anymore.