There's this nice page for ubuntu that lists 10 things to do after installation:
http://www.dailygyan.com/2008/11/10-thi ... ately.html
How many of these (or rather, bsd-analogues of these) are part of the base install for pcbsd, and what should we do instead?
In brief, the ubuntu list is:
1. Add the Medibuntu Repository
Medibutu stands for Multimedia, Entertainment & Distractions In Ubuntu and is a repository of packages that cannot be included in Ubuntu due to legal reasons. We need to add this repository to enable MP3, DVD playback, install certain codecs etc.
2. Enable Playback of Encrypted DVDs
3. Playing MP3, WMA, Real and Apple QuickTime Files (install codecs)
4. Install Skype
5. Install Adobe Acrobat Reader
6. Install Google Earth
7. Install VLC Player
8. Installing OpenOffice 3.0
9. Install Flash Plugin for Firefox
10. Install Google Picasa