Old 04-15-2009, 04:58 PM

Default Adding a port without rebuilding all dependencies: Yakuake
I spent several hours last night to get Yakuake running under PCBSBD 7.1 without having to rebuild Qt, X11, etc. I think most people would agree that rebuilding these when they are already available in PCBSD is ridiculous.

While this sample concerns Yakuake in particular, it gives an idea how to proceed in the general case.

0. Make sure you have up-to-date ports

0.5 Add the following line to /etc/profile and reboot (so it takes effect for all users)

Quote:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/lib/compat:/usr/local/lib:/PCBSD/local/lib:/PCBSD/local/lib/compat/pkg:/PCBSD/local/kde4/lib:/PCBSD/local/kde4/lib/kde4:/PCBSD/local/lib/compat:/PCBSD/local/lib/kde3:/PCBSD/local/lib/mysql:/PCBSD/local/lib/pth:/PCBSD/local/lib/qt4
This variable adds the PCBSD dirs to the linker include path.

1. Install cmake (it does not seem to be present at all)
Code:
 cd /usr/ports/devel/cmake
 make install
2. Install libxml (required by gettext)
Code:
 cd /usr/ports/textproc/libxml
 make install
3. Install libiconv (the latest version of gettext does not seem to play nice with the iconv lib already present in PCBSD)
Code:
 cd /usr/ports/converters/libiconv
 make install
4. Install gettext with all dependencies (it seems to be already present but cmake can't find it for some reason? if anyone has a solution, let me know so I can update the article)
Code:
 cd /usr/ports/devel/gettext
 make install
5. Link /PCBSD/local/share/qt4/ to /usr/local/share/qt4/
Code:
 ln -s /PCBSD/local/share/qt4/ /usr/local/share/qt4
6. Install yakuake without dependencies
Code:
 cd /usr/ports/x11/yakuake-kde4/
 make install -D NO_DEPENDS
You should now be able to run Yakuake with Alt+F2.

Post any problems and suggestions below, so I can update the article.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to jnixon Send a message via Skype™ to jnixon
Default Re: Adding a port without rebuilding all dependencies: Yakuake
Running into annoyances like this are likely to occur, but there's ways of working around it.

On 7.1 Galileo, if you do a pkg_info it will say 'No packages installed' (unless you upgraded from a 7.0.x install). You will also notice there are no ports in /usr/local. This allows you to compile / run your own ports tree without messing with the PC-BSD base system.

Remember to use the runports command before trying to install any ports!

Now if you WANT to install ports to your base system and risk breaking PC-BSD, run the following:

Code:
# /PCBSD/Scripts/changeportdb.sh
Now do a pkg_info and you will see all the packages installed in the base system. Be careful!
Old 04-15-2009, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Adding a port without rebuilding all dependencies: Yakuake
Hey jnixon,

Thanks for your input I never knew about the "changeportdb.sh" script, and the possibility to use PCBSD's own ports tree. I still get an error about 'gettext' not being found by /PCBSD/local/kde4/share/apps/cmake/modules/FindGettext.cmake, but it is possible that this is due to some of my modifications.

Quote:
This allows you to compile / run your own ports tree without messing with the PC-BSD base system.
Yes! I would also prefer to have my own ports tree, which would not mess the PCBSD one. However, I still don't want to duplicate ports between the two trees. If I have Qt in the PCBSD ports tree, I would want to use that one, instead of building my own Qt. That's why my goal is to have my own ports tree discover all (OK, most) of the libraries added by PCBSD.