Old 01-19-2009, 12:01 AM

Default How do I format my hard drive
Hi:
I had an unsuccessful installation. From the root, how do I format the hard drive?

Sincerely:

Josh
Old 01-19-2009, 12:36 PM

Default Re: How do I format my hard drive
I am sorry, your question is too vague to give you the help you need.

Will you be formatting with a BSD operating system? From a root terminal, you type sysinstall. Once in sysinstall, select "Configure" then choose "Fdisk" and when finished with that, choose "Label." Please see the FreeBSD Handbook for specific information. Are you formatting because you want to install a second hard disk? Same commands -- but pick the right disk.

But if you are formatting to assist in the install of PCBSD, you need to ask for help about the PCBSD install. We can help you if we had more information:

Did the installer see the hard disk and the target partition?
Are you installing to a primary partition and not an extended partition?
What file system did you choose (UFS or other)?
Did the install fail after the first reboot?
Did you get the video configuration dialogue but installed failed after that?

Are you formatting in order to install Linux or Windows -- Use the Linux or Windows CD.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:14 AM

I like the 'bootable parted cd' (look that up in your funk & wagnals), but it won't make bsd ufs filesystems. it will make undefined primary partitions that the pcbsd and freebsd installers can see and use to create the bsd ufs (or zfs) partitions. and it will move and/or resize ntfs, dos, and linux partitions.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:42 AM

Ian:
Your ideas did get me to the configure section, but I was unable to format the hard drive; there is no "format" command. How, exactly, do I format the hard drive from the label menu?

And, yes, I am reinstalling Windows, but I am getting a blue screen at the beginning of the install.

Sincerely:

Josh
Old 01-21-2009, 05:36 AM

Josh --

1 -- How do I format a hard disk.

fdisk lets you define the main slices (Windows calls them "partitions"), their locations (which disk or which part of the disk), their sizes, their type (use a numeric code to identify FAT32, NTFS, UFS, etc.), and, when you leave fdisk, whether or not you will use a boot manager (to dual boot). BSD fdisk is not identical to DOS's fdisk but it accomplishes the same thing.

BSD does not have a "format" command like you are used to. Your best bet is to use the label utility. The label utility lets you allocate the previously defined slices into one or more BSD partitions, set the size of each partition, and select the mount point. BSD formats the disk when you commit to "write" the changes.

The operation are not hard, and they are much faster than DOS, but if you do not understand the "vocabulary," it can seem hard (or dangerous to your beloved data that you want to keep).

Please see this section of the FreeBSD handbook for more information and some screen shots:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/han ... steps.html

The handbook reference is explaining how to partition and format a hard disk in the context of a fresh installation of FreeBSD, but you can see the screen illustrations to help you through it.

I also posted a very detailed instruction within this post:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10427&hilit=+format

================================================== ===================

2. What is the plan?

It's not clear what you intend to do. Yes, you are installing Windows. Are you removing PCBSD and its UFS file system so you can have an exclusive windows computer? Are you trying to have a dual boot installation with both PCBSD and Windows?

If just Windows, doesn't the installer wipe out whatever "old" partition it encounters? Or, doesn't the stand-alone fdisk utility let you delete non-dos partitions?

If it won't, BSD can format almost anything. You use fdisk as directed above to set a partition identifier. Instead of type 165 (UFS), you can use type 7 (NTFS). For other types, see here:

http://www.paultastic.com/showpage/Free ... itionTypes

If you want to dual boot, install Windows first into a primary partition, but leave adequate "unused" space on the disk. Do not turn the empty space into any of Windows "logical" or "extended" partitions. Then, install PCBSD into the empty space not occupied by Windows. The way I have explained this process, the "empty" space will also be on a primary partition. You will not need to deal with fdisk or label as PCBSD will set up the file system for you.

Also, while on the install-to-disk screen, check the box labeled something like "use PCBSD boot manager." That will set up the dual booting.

Frankly, I do not understand why PCBSD did not install for you, and saying you had an unsuccessful install leaves me or others unable to help you further.

================================================

3. Windows Blue Screen.

Windows uses a blue screen during its install routine and for its Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) message. If you are getting the BSOD, can you explain why (by writing the code numbers into a search engine to identify the nature of the problem).

This forum is not dedicated to Windows problems, but if you feel the PCBSD installation borked your Windows partition, or you think you need to rescue data from a Windows partition that will not start, I will be happy to help you if you can provide sufficient information to identify the problem.

================================================

Post back if you need more help.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:52 AM

try "kill disk". it is a hard drive eraser that boots from a CD. (killdisk.com) been using it for years. but the old free version has problems with sata drives. "which the version im using is about 4 years old"...time 2 upgrade. ..it is a "low level" formating tool. they have a free version, which is the one I use!(well the old free version any ways).

Hope this helps!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:11 AM

I use:
http://www.dban.org/