Old 12-31-2008, 10:54 PM

Default Samba share visible to windows but inaccessible
My samba share (well the host) is visible to my windows network. Also I can access windows shares from PCBSD. However if I try to access the PCBSD share from windows I get a message of "\\PCBSD is not accessible". (My pcbsd box has the hostname PCBSD). I have also been able to set up CUPS to allow me to print from PCBSD to the Windows attached printer - but Windows cannot see a PCBSD attached printer.

Can anyone give me some help - does anyone have a working configuration for a setup that enables easy access to pcbsd shares. Is it possible that the problem is not directly in pcbsd? Do I need to adjust any other files on pcbsd or windows? ie hosts files etc?

Below is a distillation of smb.conf, note that this is an output of testparm and that the comma in the "hosts allow" declaration was inserted by testparm but is not in smb.conf .

[global]
workgroup = DELNORTE
server string = PCBSD Samba Server
security = SHARE
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
dns proxy = No
hosts allow = 192.168.1., 127.

[graham]
path = /usr/home/gn
valid users = gn
read only = No

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = Yes
browseable = No

Thanks for any help, this is driving me spare!
Graham/
Old 01-01-2009, 04:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Default Re: Samba share visible to windows but inaccessible
What does the logfile say?
Old 01-02-2009, 12:00 AM

Hi Terry:

I suddenly realized that I need to thank you for other help that you have provided on past posts. - thank you.

Samba - there only appear to be the following and log.pcbsd is empty:
log.nmbd
log.smbd
log.pcbsd
There are no logfiles for the other machines which connect (which might make sense if they never connect... ie, if I read my smb.conf right the lines below:

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

would seem to indicate that if other machines such as "winnie" or "traveller" connect that there should be log files such as:

log.winnie, log.traveller ..?
Presumbably these machines are not connecting?

Here are some excerpts from log.nmbd and log.smbd - something troubling in log.smbd.

From log.nmbd:
[2008/12/31 01:07:15, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:main(723)
Netbios nameserver version 3.0.32 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2008
[2008/12/31 01:53:20, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(396)

Samba name server PCBSD is now a local master browser for workgroup DELNORTE on subnet 10.54.6.28

[2008/12/31 06:51:13, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:terminate(58)
Got SIGTERM: going down...

********* Break inserted by me...*******************

For log.smbd:
[2008/12/31 01:07:15, 0] smbd/server.c:main(944)
smbd version 3.0.32 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2008
[2008/12/31 01:07:15, 1] smbd/files.c:file_init(193)
file_init: Information only: requested 10000 open files, 6265 are available.

Do you have any idea what this request for 10,000 files is all about?

Thanks to any and all.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
smbd/files.c:file_init(193) I would expect, means line 193, in a file_init function, in file.c, in an smbd directory within the Samba source code; but I don't have the source code.

%m means the NetBIOS name afaik; depending on what you've adjusted since installing PC-BSD, log.pcbsd may be for be for 'this' machine so to speak, should be worth a look there too.

Don't have time to write more (family driving me fscking crazy!); will try to type more later.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:43 AM

I cannot help wonder if this isn't a firewall issue rather than Samba..? Perhaps I should examine them? "Once upon a time.." I had Samba file serving and print serving set up quite successfully on FreeBSD 4.11 - of course I cannot find my old config files, but my share is simple and configuraion shouldn't be complex..?
Are you well versed with the firewall rules that come default? Do you know why both pf and ipfw seem to be invoked? Cannot either fw do fine job alone?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Graham/
Old 01-03-2009, 11:51 PM

Sorry for the late reply....

In my experience, SMB/CIFS is a bit of a pain in the rear end on occasions but not as much as FTP/NFS. Setting up SMB shares with Samba is very easy, and usually can be customized 6 ways from Sunday.

PC-BSD runs PF on by default, no idea why IPFW would be on unless it's set to allow all traffic, and have PF sort it; maybe someone else might know, if not, I'd suggest asking the developers via email. I'm not well versed in the default rule set, and personally threw out PC-BSDs firewall configuration utility when I saw it manipulating the file (in fact, it nuked my rule set during testing; but I always have backups). The default rule set they ship is usually enough to use the machine as a client for several common services, but not so sure about server use. a look at /etc/pf.conf would help.

I believe for SMB/CIFS you'll need ports 137-139 TCP & UDP for NetBIOS stuff, and possibly TCP port 445 (MS stuff) open with default Samba settings -> but it's been awhile since I've set it up, so it would be best to check the docs (or google) for more reliable accuracy.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:58 AM

Send a message via MSN to mal.exe
Can you make your graham folder "public = yes" and remove the "valid users" statement.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:18 AM

I think Mal's solution is correct as your problem is a matter of having sufficient rights to connect. Mal always seems to be correct.

In case changing the public variable is not enough, the posts @ this topic may help too.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10362
Old 01-15-2009, 04:26 AM

Thank you all. Solved - sort of.
The problem was two-fold, one was user permissions and the other (I think) was allowing udp inflow for port 138 in firewall. My apologies for going of radar for a while - I printed out some pf documentation and turned off ipfw and wrote a new pf.conf and am using that without that second firewall. Samba now works fine and I tightened security to user again. It means logging in but that is fine by me once in a while.

Somehow though, I seem to have shut myself out of online updates. The update manager tells me that there are pbi updates but then get gnarly and croaks telling me that it cannot connect. Do pbi updates come through some some non-standard channel? I opened port 21 for ftp?
Graham/
Old 01-15-2009, 04:35 AM

Did the update manager work before you wrote the new pf.conf?

What are the differences between the "old" pf.conf and the "new" pf.conf?