Old 12-29-2008, 05:50 AM

Default How can I use the PCBSD7.0.2-x86-USB.img file
how to use the img for USB booting,which tool or method could write the img file to the USB Driver,need help :?:
Old 12-29-2008, 06:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Default Re: How can I use the PCBSD7.0.2-x86-USB.img file
The idea tool would be dd, or something comparable.

Has to how to methods, searching the forum or reading the PC-BSD guide would be a good idea.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:34 AM

thanks , but I want to use some tools in the Win system, Can somebody who had used and give help or introduce!
Old 02-01-2009, 09:04 PM

Hi all,

I find a solution how to make bootable usb stick under WinXP by using image http://www.pcbsd.org/content/view/21/11/#USB

1. Start DRVLOAD.EXE. Download it from here: http://www.datafilehost.com/download-976761ec.html
2. Load dymmydisk.sys. It is in the archive in the link above.
3. Kill all present partition on the usb stick using disk manager (located in computer management). Now we can do this because after start DRVLOAD.EXE our usb stik is treated by WinXP like regular hdd.
4. Put dd and usb image we want to load on it in the same folder.
5. Start command prompt and navigate to that folder.
6. Type dd --list and precisely look where is your usb stick. It will NOT BE presented like removable media. This is the most critical moment. You may find which is your usb stick by its size.
7. Type dd if=1.img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 bs=1M --progress. Here 1.img is my image from here - http://www.pcbsd.org/content/view/21/11/#USB, and \\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 presented the path to my usb stick. If you made it wrong here you may DAMAGE valuable data on your hard drive.

This works for me. If you have any questions I'll glad to help.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:48 AM

As far as I know Windows shouldn't have a dd command in its default installation, maybe you are referring to this port?
http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

By the way, I already tried several dds, even from Linux but nothing, the only working dd I tried is from FreeBSD and DragonFly.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:50 PM

Hmmmm...I strangely noticed that there are some little differences between the bsd-dd and the gnu one

I copied the PC-BSD USB bootonly image from DragonFly then re-dd'ed it from Linux and now it works even from Windows, with the following dd tool:
http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

Try this, download the image from here:
http://dharma.homeunix.org/pub/PCBSD...winlin.img.zip
(mirror: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HJE4BM72)

open MyComputer and insert your USB pendrive, watch how Windows names it (be warned from choosing the wrong device, in this example we'll suppose that Windows names your USB pendrive as F:)

copy dd.exe and extract the PC-BSD image to the same folder, then open cmd.exe and go to that folder
Code:
cd <path-to-img>
now wipe out everything from you USB pen with
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=\\.\f: bs=512 count=1
(again watch out from entering the wrong letter for your pendrive)

finally copy the image to your pendrive with
Code:
dd if=PCBSD7.0.2-USB.img of=\\.\f: bs=1M --progress
now it should work.

Good luck!
Old 04-26-2009, 06:09 PM

ive tried both methods to no avail.

i can dd the img to usb but when i boot i get a black screen with a blinking cursor. ive even let it sit for 30mins but still nothing. it just doesnt appear to boot.

is there something im missing or something else that needs to be done? any suggestions?

better yet, has anyone using windows actually been able to dd the img to usb, boot, and install? not questioning whether its possible or not, just need some advice because its not working for me.

thanks
Old 04-26-2009, 07:40 PM

Apart from DD - might be best to use that from Linux (live CD should work) - have you tried unetbootin yet? http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ That works from Windows, and although it may not have PC-BSD in the dropdown list (FreeBSD is there) I think all you have to do is provide the ISO and it prepares a USB-stick for you.
Oh, and why do you want to install 7.0.2? 7.1 is better, at least for me it is.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by bakainu
i can dd the img to usb but when i boot i get a black screen with a blinking cursor. ive even let it sit for 30mins but still nothing. it just doesnt appear to boot.
LOL you just need 10 secs :P

Originally Posted by bakainu
is there something im missing or something else that needs to be done? any suggestions?

better yet, has anyone using windows actually been able to dd the img to usb, boot, and install? not questioning whether its possible or not, just need some advice because its not working for me.

thanks
Well, I tried my method from several laptops with non-bsd systems (linux or windows) with success.

Did you make use of the image that I provided in the post above?
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HJE4BM72

Make sure you use a USB drive of at least 1 GiB, verify it cause 1GB pendrives are for the most part a little less than that (e.g. my 1GB pendrive is in reality 953MB)

And have a look at dd output, it should say something like this:
Code:
952+0 records in
952+0 records out
the values on records in and records out (952+0 in this example) must be identical, if you get some values that are different then something went wrong.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:28 PM

Blackbox,

i realize i can probably use the livecd or a wubi install and do this from linux; however, im wondering how to do it from windows instead of going through all the hassle of installing linux. Also, Ive tried unetbootin or whatever, and that actually gave me the boot screen but when I tried to install it said it was missing files.

Sonic,

I have an 8gb corsair flash voyager. I tried your method and used the file you provided; however, all i get when I boot is a blinking cursor. Nothing happens. Am I missing something or doing something incorrectly? Just wondering exactly what you did to make it work and what happened when you booted?