Old 12-27-2008, 05:15 PM

Default automounting mp3 player
I've been looking and there are several close threads, however none that seem to work. I'm trying to get PCBSD to recognize my Sansa Fuze to transfer music. Am I missing something? This is my first try at BSD and don't know exactly what other information to provide. This is a fresh install yesterday.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 12-27-2008, 05:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Default Re: automounting mp3 player
information:

How does it connect to the computer? (USB, FireWire, custom cable / expansion card or USB dongle, etc)

How is the data stored on the player? (FAT file system, NTFS, Mac HFS+, proprietary to the device, etc)

I would expect it to connect to the computer via USB cable, and expose a FAT-based file system over the standard USB Mass Storage Device class - making it a fairly generic thing for any OS to copy music back & force and save it in the required way, irregardless of what it uses for internal storage of music: but I never put it past hardware vendors to screw people over with lock-ins.

If it is a USB mass storage/FAT file system based device, one should be able to plug it in, mount_msdosfs it as a da device.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:34 PM

My bad.......

I forgot the most basic things. Yes, I'm USB and the player is FAT. I do see the attempted connection in dmesg:

umass1: <SanDisk SanDisk Sansa Fuze, class 0/0, rev 2.00/46.8c, addr 2> on uhub4
umass1: at uhub4 port 6 (addr 2) disconnected
umass1: detached

Would I need to manually mount the device? What I'd eventually hope for is for the device to automatically mount.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
In my experience auto mounting with PC-BSD has always been very hit & miss; and PC-BSD 7.0 doesn't seem to be helping.

Manually, you should be able to mount it with the command:

Code:
$ mount_msdosfs /dev/daNsM ~/your/mount/point
where /dev/daNsM is the device, you can look in the /dev folder to find it; if you are lazy like me, use the 'ls /dev/da*' command in konsole to get a list. Probably it will be /dev/da0s1. And where ~/your/mount/point being where you want it mounted. I posted an updated mount_auto script in the Tips & Tricks forum; but it doesn't handle device detection, only file system.

If the system can't automount it, but can get it mounted manually -> you can always rig the system to attempt to mount the media player whenever you double click an icon.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:43 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get back tonight.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by TerryP
In my experience auto mounting with PC-BSD has always been very hit & miss; and PC-BSD 7.0 doesn't seem to be helping.
Has nothing to do with the HAL. UID for USB devices are randomly generated when
the device is hot plugged in. In order to auto mount MP3 player which is SCSI hard drive for all practical purposes he has to dick with usbd.conf also
besides the configuration files which are already edited for him by PCBSD developrer. He has to enter the vendor and product ID into /etc/usbd.conf. That can not be done by PCBSD developers for him. USB stuck on FreeBSD might be a mess but replacing a single manual command mount with pile of configuration files and huge peaces of software just to be able to auto mount is called messed up way of thinking.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Oko
Originally Posted by TerryP
USB stuck on FreeBSD might be a mess but replacing a single manual command mount with pile of configuration files and huge peaces of software just to be able to auto mount is called messed up way of thinking.
I'm inclined to agree ;-)
Old 02-09-2009, 02:32 AM

Hi i have the same problem, I really think it should be a fix/hack for this if PCBSD want to target "the masses", and ordinary PC-user doesnt know how to use "dmesg" and "mount"

I know ubuntu can do this - so why not BSD?