Old 12-20-2008, 06:57 PM

Default Canon PIXMA ip1800
Hi all!
Please, help me with installing my USB-printer Canon PIXMA ip1800.
There is no auto-detecting my printer and I can't find drivers at official web-site(
CUPS also can't detect it. When I manualy select port and driver (using ip2000, there is no ip1800 one in the list) and I try to print smthing - no any actions of my printer (((

There is only windows, mac and linux drivers at the official site
Old 12-20-2008, 07:24 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Default Re: Canon PIXMA ip1800
Looking at openprinting/linuxprinting dot org, looks like a mixed bag].

Quote:
Recommended driver:

IJ Printer Driver Ver. 2.70 for Linux
Canon provides un partial PPD, but the cngpij -P IP1800 command line allows to print perfectly any PostScript file. You can download this driver on the canon.com.au website
The PPD file might be of use, but any binaries from Cannon for Linux will probably be not very helpful.

Otherwise it looks like a PJL based printer (not nice), but supports us-ascii directly. Just for the hell of it, depending on file permissions you may be able to send data to it directly as your user or root, from the konsole. You've said nothing about how it's hooked up, but taking a guess (first usb printer), you might try this in a root shell while the printer is online:

Code:
# echo 'printer test' > /dev/ulpt0

Beyond that, I'm not sure how much use it will be :\
Old 12-20-2008, 08:01 PM

root@pcbsd# echo 'printer test' > /dev/ulpt0
printer keeps quiet :\
Old 12-20-2008, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by MASTER-UA
root@pcbsd# echo 'printer test' > /dev/ulpt0
printer keeps quiet :\
I checked the printer on line. It is cheap crappy win printer not suitable for use on Unix. If you really have lots of time on your hands you can try to play with Linux compatibility layer and Linux driver provided by manufacturer if there is one (Note Canon almost exclusively support Windows not even Mac is supported). You might learn a lot about kernel hacking if that is the goal but if the goal is to use printer only go and get yourself a printer which speaks Post Script language.

My recommendation Brother HL-5240 for a monochromatic Laser Printer.
I have seen those selling for little bit over $100 in my local Office Max
as open box items.

Note most cheaper laser printers sold in U.S. are made by HP, Brother, and Sumsung/DeLL.

Cheap laser HP printers need firmware and speak some proprietary Zj Stream protocol. The driver foo2zjs is obtained by reverse engineering and YMMV.
They are solid printers for money but if you are Unix nOOb I would stay away from them.

Sumsun/DeLL printers speak Samsung Printer Language and they need splix driver. Their color laser printers are cheapest printers of the kind on the
market so they are attractive. I personally had troubles compiling Splix
on OpenBSD which means that is low quality Linux only code. There is FreeBSD port but I have not used it.

Brother laser printers are mostly well supported by Ghostscript and quite a few speak PostScript as the one I suggested so they are probably best option for home user. Be careful though. Some of their cheap laser printers are paper
weight.

For more serious users anything HP which is sold for over $300 speaks Post Script out of box. The same goes with Lexmark, Brother, Xerox, and almost
any other manufacturer.

I personally just installed Xerox Phaser 6130N (color laser) as our work group work printerat the University I work for. It speaks full PostScript and has built in server which speaks LPD and IPP. I just edited my printcap with IP address, started LPD daemon and prints like a crazy. This is printcap file :wink:
Code:
rp|remote line printer:\
       :lp=:rm=192.168.1.101:\
       :rp=lp:sd=/var/spool/output:\
       :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
The cost to university $400

I would stay a way from inkjets since they are extremely costly to run (Expensive ink) For special purposes like photo printing I really like
Epson's printers and all in one devices but the ink for them is like a gold.
HP all-in-one inkjets and laser alike are well supported by HPLIP.

Lexmark, Brother, and Canon have no working inkjet printers.

Cheers,
OKO

P.S. You can also try a cheap hardware solution. Get a PostScript module
for $10 from Ebay and try to rewire your Canon Pixma so that you can put that
module inside.

Suddenly your printer will start speaking PostScript :idea: and you will be happy camper 8) .
Old 12-21-2008, 08:22 AM

Yes, it is realy cheap printer, but 1,5 year ago it costed as 2 my college's grants

Okey, I can't install PC-BSD on my desktop, where I need my printer, it is too slower for KDE4 ))) I wanted try to setup printer on my laptop with PC-BSD, but as I see, I haven't got enough knowledges and time to do it )