Old 11-21-2008, 04:39 AM

Default Open Office 3.0 PBI issue or Base System issue
No Java environment in the default install of PC-BSD 7.01 ?

root@pcbsd# soffice &
[1] 85416
root@pcbsd# grep: /root/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals: No such file or directory
javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!

Thanks in advance,

Sean Patzer, MCSE.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Open Office 3.0 PBI issue or Base System issue
Without Java installed OpenOffice does not run appropriately. You may want to consider moving Java into the default image due to the fact that OpenOffice is part of the image.

Thanks,

Sean Patzer, MCSE.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:44 PM

First of all, you're trying to run as root, from the command line interface, openoffice. If you already have an xsession started as a normal user, then you can't start openoffice because, as root, you attempt to start a second xsession, which is a nono. (That's regarding the first error line, kdeglobals)

Secondly, if you run soffice from the 'run' window, or from the kmenu, it will start correctly (not from the cli as the logged user though). This is because the PBI has an isolated a java installation for its exclusive use as a dependency in its own directory.(That's for the second error line, java)

You need to understand how pbi actually work before making suggestions based on wrong assumptions (I see no problem suggesting a separate java installation, just not for that particular reason).
Old 11-21-2008, 05:55 PM

Graedus,

Thanks for the reply.

The issue was that I did attempt to run OpenOffice through the menu as the default install takes, but was not able to launch. I got a bouncing cursor and then nothing, notta, zero. No error message, no OpenOffice launch.

The issue of me understanding or not understanding the PBI is not at issue. In essence, the application is a static link to a particular lib published as a blob or the libs it needs are published in a search order with the application (for the sake of this discussion, it does not matter which, but it provides the same end result. The second one can be implemented in that environs which will not be named.), rather than a dynamic link to a particular set of libs. This has implications on both sides of the house. It means that when a security patch for a particular lib comes out, that application must be updated. OTOH, it provides for a simplified install process and maintenance.

Next, I needed to know what was going on with the launch so I launched from the command line and got relatively little information. From past experience, I understand that sometimes it is a matter of permissions. So launching as root provided a check on permissions only. When I got similar errors with the launch from root, I knew that something else was going on. Readying through the error message that I got, the next step was to install the Java machine and see if that took care of the issue, which it did. Hence the issue is with the way that OpenOffice is packaged.

If you will note, I had the same issue with Evolution and Gnome. However, it is my understanding that I should have been able to install Evolution without the Gnome infrastructure in place (okay, I understand that I have run Evolution on KDE in Linux, and things are not the same here as there. But if it can be done in one place, it should be able to be done in another.Okay I had Gnome installed besides KDE in Linux, but isn't the PBI methodology suppose to prevent this ? Right?) due to what the PBI is trying to accomplish. No chance there. After I installed Gnome, Evolution came up in KDE. Go figure (and I was happy). But this shows that the issue I am addressing is in other PBIs as well and the PBI does NOT, in some cases, encompass all of the files that it needs to in order to run the given application.

Perhaps I should have stated the problem thusly:

The OpenOffice.PBI still has (for whatever the reason) a link back to the java machine and if it is not installed along side OpenOffice, you have an error when launching OpenOffice where OpenOffice does not launch and does not report back the error condition in a manner that an end user could figure out.

But you are right. I should have included where I attempted to launch OpenOffice as my normal user and got notta on the CLI and no OpenOffice launch.

And as far as a solution was concerned, installing the Java Package from the PBIDir solved the issue for both the root user and the normal user I use. Ergo, the problem is as I have stated.

Thanks,

Sean Patzer, MCSE.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Disclaimer: If anyone finds me insulting, I've seen the actions of the PC-BSD project and those associated with PBIDir.com over the years to all to closely, that I can speak no other way, without out sugar coating things.

==================

If you ever try to launch a PBI installed program form the CLI, open the application menu and run the same commands in your shell that it uses -> other wise it's a waste of time.

Reason being, PBI does require support for CLI invocation of things by the user, unlike what we would expect.... PBI assume no CLI exists from the user PoV (whenever possible). Most PBI are started via a wrapper script on their binaries that setup the environment so they see the necessary software - hence the problem, since many PBI are not created to be flexible beyond the developers own machine. Links to places within $PATH may be done manually via symlinking the (wrong) file to it in the PBI install script, or by the PBi Creator (PBC), depending on what is done - in my experience, this usually just results in a fuck up on the PBI Developers / PC-BSD developers part, and no body documents a single <snip> thing.

Under FreeBSD, KDE3 and Gnome2 are installed into /usr/local; KDE4 into /usr/local/kde4. PBI's like the Gnome2 PBI will likely have enough symlinks into /usr/local to kick Gnome into working semi-properly, that it would choke a horse (personally, I think if I examined the gnome PBI, I would start filing a law suite if I could make it stick).

PBI are supposed to be totally self contained, but often are built incorrectly or with a set of assumptions, depending on who makes the damn thing.

Install and use OO.o on PC-BSD via PBI in any way other then that proscribed by the developers, and you will never know what goes wrong unless you track it down and fix it yourself, if your lucky you might even get it fixed in the main PBI; since OO is an 'offical' PBI.

Install OO.o and Java correctly on FreeBSD as most FreeBSD users do, and you will have no more problems then every other OO.o user would have on FreeBSD. Things would work more or less as expected, and you would be free to adjust where necessary.

FreeBSD system -> developed by competent people, for people that know the difference between a USB cable and a phone jack.

PC-BSD system -> may GOD have mercy on your soul, if you dare expect a sane job in a situation like this.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:02 PM

TerryP,

You were fine. I found no reason to be insulted by your post.

Although I think you have exceeded your expectations, as the system is very usable by non-technical users (Phone Jack? Ethernet Port? They are both copper...they both have a bendy thingy on top...). I call this the wife/gf/so/kid factor. Since the wife and kids can use it to do what they normally do without being too frustrated...success. Web surfing, e mail and music.No problems. Light office work problem until I figured out what was the issue. Then no problem. Evolution is my issue, as I need it for Exchange connectivity although I see that Exchange 2007 is going to be relegated to a future version of Evolution. Grumble, Grumble. It means that I am relegated to the OWA. Ugh.

To be honest, I do not have the spare system at the moment (see posting about graveyarding a nforce2 system) to learn how to package OpenOffice otherwise I would have done it, so I posted my issue here. Now, if I was insulting with the post, I apologize and I do admit my first one was a little bit sparse on details. Although the second one did include more showing that I tried to use the product according to the defaults and met with failure.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:59 PM

Default Mea Culpa.
I ran the install on a different system and had no problems with the new PC-BSD installer. Since the initial hardware I ran it on was the same one I was going to throw out, I am thinking my issue is hardware based. Although it seems strange, I am now 1 for 2 on a completely working PC-BSD install from the install disks. Open Office ran fine on the second system. Meh.