Old 11-21-2008, 02:08 AM

Default wireless setup how to?
i have a supported pcmcia card (siemens ss1021), now how do i get it to actually work, ive looked at the wireless handbook and all it does is say to add some lines to the boot.conf file but that didn't work for me... i'm looking for a step by step guide so i dont have to spend the rest of my life searching for the answer to this...

answers should be posted in complete and exact format and itemized (1. do this, 2. do this, 3. do this)...
Old 11-22-2008, 02:57 PM

Default Re: wireless setup how to?
Originally Posted by webhostingdesign
i have a supported pcmcia card (siemens ss1021), now how do i get it to actually work, ive looked at the wireless handbook and all it does is say to add some lines to the boot.conf file but that didn't work for me...
WiFi network might be the least of your problems. Let start working on your reading skills first:roll:

i'm looking for a step by step guide so i dont have to spend the rest of my life searching for the answer to this...

answers should be posted in complete and exact format and itemized (1. do this, 2. do this, 3. do this)...
Please send money order of $150 to my address and I will be more than happy to write the tutorial you requested.
You got OS for free. You have no right to demand anything. When you pay for your OS and for tech support than we can talk.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:30 PM

i have a supported pcmcia card (siemens ss1021), now how do i get it to actually work, ive looked at the wireless handbook and all it does is say to add some lines to the boot.conf file but that didn't work for me... i'm looking for a step by step guide so i dont have to spend the rest of my life searching for the answer to this...
1. What have you actually done?

Quote:
2. There is no 3.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to Protagonist
Originally Posted by Oko
i have a supported pcmcia card (siemens ss1021), now how do i get it to actually work, ive looked at the wireless handbook and all it does is say to add some lines to the boot.conf file but that didn't work for me...
WiFi network might be the least of your problems. Lets start working on your reading skills :roll:

i'm looking for a step by step guide so i dont have to spend the rest of my life searching for the answer to this...

Please send money order of $150 to my address and I will be more than happy to write the tutorial you requested.
You got OS for free. You have no right to demand anything. When you pay for your OS and for tech support than we can talk.
Let's cut the guy some slack. Documentation is one place that could stand some improvement. :-)
There are alternatives
--------------------------------------
Old 11-22-2008, 06:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
The Siemens SpeedStream SS1021 appears to be a Prism-II based PCMCIA card, that means you need the wi driver, and your card when detected should appear as 'wi0' in ifconfig's output. By searching this forum or reaidng the docs, you shouldn't have any problem setting up the card.

If the card requires firmware to be loaded, that I wouldn't know off the top of my head.

Originally Posted by Oko
I knew there was something I liked about you Oko, lol.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by TerryP
The Siemens SpeedStream SS1021 appears to be a Prism-II based PCMCIA card, that means you need the wi driver, and your card when detected should appear as 'wi0' in ifconfig's output. By searching this forum or reaidng the docs, you shouldn't have any problem setting up the card.

If the card requires firmware to be loaded, that I wouldn't know off the top of my head.
If you read man pages for any WiFi driver it should tell you beside other things if the device needs firmware and give you the link to the page where the firmware can be downloaded. That how man pages are written for OpenBSD. I have not used FreeBSD for a while but I have a fun memories of man pages for FreeBSD.

Let me give you even the answer to your clearly posted question about the wi driver
and firmware. No you do not need the firmware. The driver on the another hand is very baggy and YMMW with it. That is actually explicitly stated in the man pages on OpenBSD. The driver on FreeBSD is I think ported from OpenBSD as I know for the fact that
Wi did support my USB WiFi adapter made by U.S. Robotics on OpenBSD but the same USB
adapter didn't work on FreeBSD.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by OpenBSD, wi manual page
HISTORY
The wi device driver first appeared in FreeBSD 3.0. OpenBSD support was
added in OpenBSD 2.6.

AUTHORS
The wi driver was written by Bill Paul and port-
ed to OpenBSD by Niklas Hallqvist
Perhaps, Oko's reading skills needs some improvements

upgt(4) on other side is ported to FreeBSD from OpenBSD.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by richardpl

Perhaps, Oko's reading skills needs some improvements
I am working on it :wink: