Old 10-10-2008, 01:52 PM

Default question: relationship btwn loader.conf, rc.conf, kernel
I am trying to understand the relationship between kernel, /boot/defaults/loader.conf, /boot/loader.conf, /etc/defaults/rc.conf, and /etc/rc.conf.

If a module loads from kernel, but the setting for that module in /boot/defaults/loader.conf is set to "NO", is the module loaded at boot or not? Is it necessary to overide /boot/defaults/loader.conf by setting it to "YES" in /boot/loader.conf in order to load the module? What about /etc/rc.conf? Do I need to enable a module if it is loaded from the kernel?

For example, NFSCLIENT is loaded from kernel, yet it is set to nfssclient_load="NO" in /boot/defaults/loader.conf. Is it necessary to set fnsclient_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf to keep the kernel module loaded?

After that, do I then need to enable it in /etc/rc.conf? Does a module need to be loaded AND enabled?

So then, which of the following would be correct to load and enable nfsclient:

kernel:
options NFSCLIENT

/boot/defaults/loader.conf
nfsclient_load="NO"

/boot/loader.conf
nothing

/etc/defaults/rc.conf
nfs_client_enable="NO"

(notice the difference in the name of the module in /etc/defaults/rc.conf as opposed to the module name in /boot/defaults/loader.conf)

/etc/rc.conf
nfs_client_enable="YES"

I understand that /boot/loader.conf and /etc/rc.conf override settings in /boot/defaults/loader.conf and /boot/defaults/rc.conf (respectively).

My questions are these:

1) Does /boot/defaults/loader.conf override kernel settings?
2) Must a module be loaded from kernel or /boot/loader.conf AND enabled in /etc/defaults/rc.conf or /etc/rc.conf?
3) If a module is not loaded from kernel or loader.conf, will simply enabling it in rc.conf load and enable it?

A side question: Why is the nfsclient module named "nfsclient" in kernel and boot/defaults/loader.conf and "nfs_client" in /etc/defaults/rc.conf?

Keep in mind the above questions are not specific to the nfsclient module. I am trying to understand the relationship between the various conf files and the modules.

Thanks in advance for taking time.
Tony
Old 10-10-2008, 08:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Default Re: question: relationship btwn loader.conf, rc.conf, kernel
/boot/loader.conf -- configuration file for /boot/loader (e.g. that thing that says press 1 to boot pc-bsd, 2 to boot pcbsd with acpi disabled, and so on), settings placed here will override their values in /boot/defaults/loader.conf

/boot/defaults/loader.conf -- default values for /boot/loader.conf options

/etc/rc.conf -- configuration file for the resource configuration system. Settings here will override[ any corrisponding setting in /etc/defaults/rc.conf

/etc/defaults/rc.conf -- default values for /etc/rc.conf options

/etc/rc.conf.local -- site local version of /etc/rc.conf, will override values of /etc/rc.conf; usually unused on FreeBSD but very wise to use it under PC-BSD.

Use loader when you need a kernel module loaded before boot, use rc.conf for enabling services through the rc.d directories. If a program says to add a line (or lines) to /etc/rc.conf, doing that should be *enough* unless documented over wish.

For NFS, see the handbook, essentially you only have to edit rc.conf (or rc.conf.local) for an NFS client.

And also (just for the warning, since some people try it!), it's generally unwise to edit things under an /etc/defaults, /boot/defaults, or comparable directory.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:07 AM

Now the followup question.

If I have, say,

options NFSCLIENT

set in the kernel, and

nfsclient_load="NO"

is set in /boot/defaults/loader.conf, is the module loaded once the os is booted up or not? If yes, then setting

nfsclient_load="YES"

in boot/loader.conf would be unnecessary. Right?

All I would need to do is set

nfsclient="YES"

in /etc/rc.conf to enable the module. Yes?

On the other hand, if /boot/defaults/loader.conf overrides the kernel setting, then I have to reload the module by setting "YES" in /boot/loader.conf (to override "defaults" which overrode "kernel") and then enable it in /etc/rc.conf. So the question is whether /boot/defaults/loader.conf overrides the options settings in the kernel. This makes my head hurt. :twisted:

??

Tony
Old 10-17-2008, 12:04 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
if you have the option in your kernel configuration, the code should be a part of any kernel built with that configuration, unless it only supports being used as a module.

But yes, in general, recompiling your kernel with the necessary options (as outlined in the man page, e.g. man 4 ath for the ath wireless driver) removes the need to load it via /boot/loader.conf

Which would free you to add nfs_client_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf.

Under FreeBSD 7.0-Release, the only thing that was necessary for basic NFS capabilities on my machines was enabling nfs_client_enable="YES" in rc.conf
Old 10-24-2008, 08:47 PM

I think I am getting this. Little by little. My line of questioning was not specific to nfs, I was just using that as an example. My confusion came after reviewing my kernel and comparing that to /boot/DEFAULTS/loader.conf. It seemed a lot of things were loaded as options in the kernel, but set to "NO" in DEFAULTS/loader.conf. I didn't know whether the module would be loaded or not. It seemed like conflicting commands telling the kernel to load it, but then telling the boot loader not to load it, so then, who wins? Is it loaded at boot?

If it is loaded, then all I should need to do is enable it in rc.conf. If not, then I need to change the setting in /boot/loader.conf to [modulename]_load="YES" to load it, then enable it in rc.conf.

It appears from my experimentation that the kernel wins and all I need to do is enable the module in rc.conf if it is in the kernel, despite the "NO" setting in /boot/DEFAULTS/loader.conf. If I change the setting in /boot/loader.conf to "YES" I get an error message during boot indicating the module is already loaded.

It's coming.

TH
Old 10-25-2008, 07:29 PM

the relationship of kernel / modules is more or less something a C/C++ programmer would deal with, the FreeBSD kernel is mostly in C and some assembly.

Essentially, a program is made up of 'parts' of information. Often some of these parts are used by many other programs, if you've ever used Windows this is what a .dll file is; commonly called a 'shared library' under unix systems and else wheres. When you run the program, the operating system 'sees' that part of the program is missing, and then links the programs executable with the necessary part (shared library files) in order for it to run properly.

So simply put, either the parts are inside the program (options in the kernel) or need to be found and added into it later (lines in loader.conf). What I've said is not 100% accurate to how loadable kernel modules work, but conceptually, it is from a users point of view.

So when you have a line in loader.conf that says to load a module, you are telling the system that a required part of the kernel is missing from /boot/kernel/kernel, and must be loaded in order for the system to work correctly. When you place an option or device entry in your kernel configuration and 'make' a new kernel, you are telling the make program to include those parts in /boot/kernel/kernel, so the module is not needed, because it's no longer 'missing' from the kernels program file, having been inserted into the kernel when it was made.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:40 PM

Ok. That helped. Just to make sure I understand correctly, if a module is included in the kernel build, a setting of [modulename]_load="NO" in /boot/DEFAULTS/loader.conf or /boot/loader.conf will not unload it. Correct? If I want to unload a module, either after it is loaded as part of the kernel build or after loading it via /boot/loader.conf, I must kldunload it. Right?

This has been a very helpful thread for me. Thanks for taking the time.

Tony
Old 11-01-2008, 09:55 PM

Right

Except if it is built into the kernel, I don't think you can't unload it. So say, your kernel has 'device ath' in the configuration, kldunload ath would likely fail, because 'device ath' in the kernel configuration built it directly into the kernel itself, rather then as a module to be loaded via /boot/loader.conf /or kldload.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:08 PM

OK, that makes sense. Thanks again.

Tony :idea: