Old 09-12-2008, 03:37 PM

Default Recommend a motherboard for FreeBSD?
Hi,
this seems to be the most appropriate subforum (and most lively BSD forum in general).

I'm looking for an "ideal" motherboard for use with FreeBSD, but I'm so out of touch that the current market options are overwhelming. :twisted: I've been spending the last few weeks(!) on this now and am quite frankly beginning to get very frustrated by my lack of desicion-making.

It's for a system that is:
  • Workstation - programming, email, web browsing, very light 3D gaming.[/*:m:2nzmw32e]
  • File server - I plan to run this 24/7 as it will act as my file and media server, so both storage connectivity and power consumption are important issues.[/*:m:2nzmw32e]
  • Silent - ties in with the above, I want it to run as (passively) cool as possible.[/*:m:2nzmw32e]
  • Dual monitors would be very nice but, strictly speaking, optional. I currently have two nice LCD's that unfortunately are VGA-only, not DVI; so any dual-output card should be able to connect dual VGA cables.[/*:m:2nzmw32e]

Things I'm looking for in a motherboard:
  • ATX/mATX form factor (for an Antec P182 case, or possibly a Mini P180 or P150/Solo).[/*:m:2nzmw32e]
  • Intel 3GHz dual core compatible -- or whatever the AMD equivalent may be,
    really make up for it),[/*:m:2nzmw32e]
  • 4x SATA connectors (one system drive, one optical drive, two mirrored data drives),[/*:m:2nzmw32e]
  • Low power consumption since this will be an always-on system.[/*:m:2nzmw32e]
  • Barely decent 3D-performance, it just needs to be good enough for BZFlag. I don't care if it's onboard or a plug-in card -- but power consumption is important.[/*:m:2nzmw32e]
  • All onboard hardware supported by FreeBSD (no sense in paying for stuff I can't use unless other features [/*:m:2nzmw32e]

Things I'm not looking for in a motherboard:
  • I don't plan to use any home-theatre features such as HDMI or surround sound (if they're present they better not interfere).[/*:m:2nzmw32e]
  • I don't plan to do any overclocking whatsoever.[/*:m:2nzmw32e]
  • I have no brand loyalty or colour/style preference; whatever works well is fine by me.[/*:m:2nzmw32e]
  • Windows or Linux compatibility; I only run FreeBSD and its derivatives.[/*:m:2nzmw32e]

Disclaimer: In this other thread I've been trying to find a good graphics card; with this thread I intend to find a good mobo+graphics combo. As far as I can tell, that means nVidia, but even with that limitation there are dozens of different chipsets I can't tell the difference between.

Help! :?

Best Regards,
Klay
Old 09-12-2008, 06:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to vermaden
Default Re: Recommend a motherboard for FreeBSD?
Quote:
[*]Dual monitors would be very nice but, strictly speaking, optional. I currently have two nice LCD's that unfortunately are VGA-only, not DVI; so any dual-output card should be able to connect dual VGA cables.
I see here nVidia card with binary blog or Intel Q33/Q35 motherboard which supports dual DVI, it works under Linux (dualhead), but I dunno if it works at FreeBSD.

I would also admit buying AMD's 780G/790GX motherboards, along with Tri Core Phenom X3, or older Energy Eggicent Athlon X2 Brisbane like 4050e.

Here are some howtos for xorg.conf setup:
http://intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=772463
http://linux.com/forums/topic/2536

You may also ask a question about dual link on lists.freebsd.org on Intel Q33/Q35.

Quote:
[*]ATX/mATX form factor
Q33/Q35 fits here, same for AMD's 7x0G.

Quote:
[*]4x SATA connectors
4 or more is standart on these motherboards, many offer 8+

Quote:
[*]Low power consumption
AMD wins here but Intel is generally ok here.

Quote:
[*]Barely decent 3D-performance
Here is a problem with AMD's 7x0G since RadeonHD only dupports 2D currently.

Quote:
[*]All onboard hardware supported by FreeBSD
Get a mobo with Realtek or Intel NIC and all the rest will be working.

Quote:
[*]I don't plan to do any overclocking whatsoever.
AMD's integrated GFX (Radeon HD3200) card can be O/C 500MHz --> 1000MHz without cooling change, yes it is as that good

Regards
vermaden
Old 09-14-2008, 10:10 PM

To put a knot on this thread: I have ordered a a passively cooled Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3R. It'll probably take me a few weeks to receive the parts, put them together, and see how it works out.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:41 AM

Default Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3R: BSD does not detect the 8100C chip
I've been prodded for an update, and I'm a little embarrassed that I haven't posted by experiences earlier.

I have had a great deal of problems with this Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3R. It works, mostly, but the one thing I didn't have any luck with was the Realtek 8100C-based ethernet ports. Without ethernet, a new install is about as crippled and lonely as my old Mac. :cry: Otherwise, this machine is working great.

I've tried installing DesktopBSD, PC-BSD, and FreeBSD, but none of them could recognize the 8100 chip. Although, oddly, the DesktopBSD installer did recognize it, but once installed and booted I had no such luck. I tried fiddling with dmesg, boot configuration, and driver files, but I'm just not that good so it never yielded any success.

Now, I'm ashamed to say, I'm typing this from a very smoothly-running Ubuntu install. Everything just worked right out of the box, even Java, Flash, and 3D). And really, the Debian-style package manager (in its Ubuntu wrapping) is not all that inferior to the ports system, so I think I'm "staying here" for a while.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:24 PM

In a german Forum this was discussed:
https://www.bsdforen.de/showthread.php?p=137857
Content:
RTL8139* same Chip as RTL8100*.
Chips got different Device-IDs and Pinout.
Should (probably) run with rl(4) in PIO Mode.
hth
Old 01-25-2009, 01:37 PM

Thanks,
I'll try that sometime. It would be nice to add BSD as a dual-boot option.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:31 AM

How do you find a motherboard with more USB power? I need to find a motherboard with USB ports that provide more than the standard 500ma of power - I don't even know where to look for this info in a motherboard spec. How would I search for these?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by carischila
How do you find a motherboard with more USB power?
I didn't, at least not purposefully. I have no idea how you'd find such a thing; I don't expect any manufacturer to go above&beyond on the USB power specs. I would probably go ask every manufacturer separately (and be prepared to downgrade other simultaneous requirements).

I don't know what it is you need powered, but you could --maybe-- use a USB charger? AFAIK, they too deliver only 100 or 500mA, but if you're careful I'm sure you could hack an adjustable transformer onto a USB charger (just be careful that you don't send power upstream, and fry the pc).
Old 07-02-2009, 02:11 PM

For USB, getting a powered USB hub should provide some more power.

For a list of what's officially supported, I'd go and check

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/...BILITY-GENERAL

and

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.2R...-detailed.html for updates in the latest release, 7.2 so far.

Looks like you've already run into a few of the hardware related problems already so here's just a list of very general tips.

- Passively cooled motherboard without any dinky fans and with solid state capacitors (gray aluminum cans) for any system that will be running 24/7. Regular electrolytics are really crappy and might blow in less than a year of use.

- Nvidia graphics hardware (32 bit only so far) for 3D acceleration. There is support for other cards but it seems to be hit and miss and I haven't done much testing with them.

- Avoid devices made by realtek, including NICs and onboard sound or expect problems if they're present. Realtek seems to have built upon the winmodem devolution of the late 90s with a lot of their hardware :evil:

- Common BIOSes have buggy ACPI support so you might have to tweak the settings to get something that doesn't crash the system. They seem to declare it working as long as it compiles and allows windows to boot.

- One of the best quality/well supported sound DSPs is the Envy24 family and it's supported both with the built-in drivers and with the latest OSS 4.1 stack which also seems to support internal mixing.

Can't think of any others right now but the above should be a good starting point.