Old 08-16-2008, 09:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to sqlpython
Default Ports??
Anyone using Ports with PCBSD?
I have considered doing just that but not wanting to deviate from the Original PCBSD design intent by dealing with a cvsup server.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Default Re: Ports??
ports work fine on PC-BSD, aside from how outdated PC-BSD v1.5.1 is....
Old 08-17-2008, 01:59 AM

I've been using the ports just fine here, but only for userland stuff, sound and music apps and utils. I'm not sure I'd try to sync my entire setup with it though - but the apps seem fine. I use pkg_add -r where possible in case I end up with another multi hour compile just to test out some software I decided I didn't like though

PC-BSD is FreeBSD with added goodness, not a fork or seperate branch, so it is fully intended to stay compatible with the ports/packages system.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:56 AM

Quote:
PC-BSD is FreeBSD with added goodness, not a fork or seperate branch, so it is fully intended to stay compatible with the ports/packages system.
Thank You, I believe I had read that once before. What worried me is just what Terry had to say:
Quote:
ports work fine on PC-BSD, aside from how outdated PC-BSD v1.5.1 is....
Being that PCBSD is a bit outdated compared with FreeBSD I was afraid as I updated or added an item with port that I would drag in something that would break another pkg/port in PCBSD.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:48 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
PC-BSD traditionally has minimal maintenance updates for it's base packages, no idea how it compares to stuff like RHEL... Generally it's safe to update the installed software and manage it as normal (for FreeBSD).

Except where an update is expected (e.g. 1.5.0 -> 1.5.1), the rare maintenance update, or what you need to change would break binary compatibility with the libraries used by PC-BSD-specfic binaries (e.g. koncrol centre applets, pbi subsystem, custom traylets).

It is usually safe, when one of the above is probable ^^^, you risk either wasting your time (e.g. updating just before the next big patch is released) or breaking things (fragging compat with certain binaries).
Old 08-19-2008, 03:26 AM

Thanks All
Terry you made up my mind. I will just wait for Updated snapshots.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:57 AM

and how do ports, pkg_add and pbi mix together?

For example if I can't find a package in pbi, and I install it with pkg_add, if it appears later in pbi and I try to install it again, what will happen?
Old 08-31-2008, 04:07 PM

Ports and Packages are fully integrated, PBI do not integrate by design.

If you install emacs via ports, you are free to pkg_add an ELisp package that 'depends' on GNU Emacs or XEmacs. If you however installed an Emacs PBI, then went to install something from ports that depended on Emacs, you would wind up with two versions of emacs installed.

This is problematic because PBI often need to create symbolic links under /usr/local (e.g. /usr/local/share/appname/:/usr/local/share/man/man1/appname.1:/usr/local/bin/appname) (The big question being if the PBI dev remembers to REMOVE them on uninstall of PBI, so it doesn't screw up the port), Which means they won't be able to coexist and trying to remove one, while the other is installed, will likely break both.

So don't mix PBI and port/pkg, unless the PBI is what depends on the port/pkg (e.g. java jre/jdk), and even then it may fail, if the PBI's install script looks for a java PBI in /usr/Programs:/Programs:/usr/local/MyPrograms instead of the path; or checks for a PBI, but not for a pkg being installed. When they should just inform the user that Java is needed, and not bother checking for it....

The design of PBI's that are fed into the system really are realitive in terms of quality, imho. Because there is no real concept of what is right and wrong to do aside from breaking the rules (which were oft'ignored in the past). Basically, you get what ever they make, that the community doesn't bitch at until it gets removed.... Which thankfully has not happened in a quite a while.

DISCLAIMER: I've been here a long time, seen much, and prefer to be blunt and to the point rather then polite. But I do give honest replies.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:07 AM

You basically have the same problem with Mac Ports (aka Darwin Ports) on the MAC. If you have an installed Mac application like EMACs, then go install the port version, you can have conflicts.

I would recommend treating the PBI and ports separately - don't mix and match. I wouldn't also try not to mix ports with pre-installed PC-BSD software. (For example kde, which is very complicated in terms of port package dependencies). i think you would be asking for trouble.

I raised the issue before regarding this, but everyone thinks that PBI's were one of the nice things about PC-BSD. I think DesktopBSD tries to integrate with ports more seamlessly, but I have not tried it.

I realize this is going to be problematic for people who want to be on the very latest and greatest of all of the packages via CVSUP, but my experience with this is that if you want to do this, you end up being a full-time system administrator for your system :-)
Old 09-01-2008, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by 964racer
I realize this is going to be problematic for people who want to be on the very latest and greatest of all of the packages via CVSUP, but my experience with this is that if you want to do this, you end up being a full-time system administrator for your system :-)
I've said this before, if that's the case, then PCBSD is not for that kind of users.

I did got down that road using vanilla freebsd, updating and recompiling every single weekend. A worthless effort in a desktop system, you get a broken chain of ports once in a while, depending on the ports-mgmt tools you use to achieve the updates.

Unless there's some extremely critical update adviced in /usr/ports/UPDATE, I pretty much keep updating to a minimum. This is not windows land, where you need to update antimalaware and av software every other day.

For example, my local file server is still running PCBSD 1.4.1.1 and PAMP, haven't started X in months there. My workstation was running 1.5 with lots of ports installed from scratch until a couple of weeks ago. RIght now I'm still using Opera 9.23 with that installation. I fail to see a reason to fix what isn't broken.

Anyway, if anyone wants to get involved with ports, I suggest three approaches:

0. Install just the bare minimum ports you require, such as cli utilities, grab the rest from PBI.

1. Use PCBSD as a quick installation, then disregard PBIs completely. Admin your ports responsibly, and try to avoid messing with the ports present in the base installation.

2. Mix and match PBI and ports. Beware PBIs are rulebreakers by default. I recommend this only for seasoned FreeBSD users, and even then, it would be a better idea to customize a vanilla FreeBSD from scratch, less overhead IMHO.