Old 06-01-2008, 03:13 PM

Default Dual-boot PC-BSD and SimplyMEPIS Linux
I'm typing this on a PC-BSD laptop that I never expected to have another OS installed. So, PC-BSD takes up the whole disk, calls it ad0s1.

Now I'm taking an online Linux class and for that I need SimplyMEPIS. Tried to work off a live CD but it just won't do -- I want to be able to make it do everything my PC-BSD does -- like going online with its own wpa_supplicant.conf, printing, all that.

So, I'm not sure of one thing: can I simply assume that SimplyMEPIS will take residence as a second OS using a newly-created partition of my choosing, notice that there's already an OS present, and just add it to the GRUB menu? That's what Ubuntu did when I installed it on my wife's Win XP laptop and it works beautifully. SimplyMEPIS, like Ubuntu, comes with GRUB.

I tried finding some info on similar dual OS setups where both are Unix-like, and I had some success -- here: http://synfulpacket.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... entos.html -- but couldn't quite bring myself to take a chance without bringing it up here first. I have backups of all my data, but I'd rather not have to re-install PC-BSD if I can help it.

Thank you,

Gabi
Old 06-01-2008, 03:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Default Re: Dual-boot PC-BSD and SimplyMEPIS Linux
To the best of my knowledge, UFS2 partitions can only be enlargd but not shrunk so you'll need to work out a way to get a working partition (slice in unix terms) in order to install SimplyMEPIS Linux into.

Once there's a place to i nstall it, there's no problem and GRUB can boot PC-BSD easy.

If you have to, due to lack of disk space available for another OS... You could probably boot into single user mode or off a freebsd livecd /or pc-bsd/freebsd install cd, take a full dump of the disk to an external hard drive. Then format two partitions via Live CD (or if possible, SimplyMePIS'es installer), one for PC-BSD, one for SimplyMEPIS.

Install both (who will format the partitions as needed and directed), connect the USB drive, boot PC-BSD into single user mode, mount the drive, and use restore to restore all of the files in PC-BSD.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:06 PM

Before I can do any of that, I need to reformat the WD MyBook. See I took their (WD) advice and formatted the whole thing as NTFS when I bought it.

So just I used WinXP to get rid of the biggest partition after I moved whatever I had on it to the WinXP box. Now I need to format that partition in some system that's BSD-friendly. WinXP only offers NTFS as a choice.

I hooked the MyBook to my wife's Ubuntu machine, downloaded gparted, and now I'm stumped. My choices are ext2, ext3, fat16 and fat32. What do I pick?

Gabi
Old 06-02-2008, 01:14 AM

I put an ext3 partition on half the empty space on MyBook for whatever future Linux needs I may have, and thought I'd use the rest for a slice to be used for dumping the PC-BSD there, as TerryP suggested earlier.

I went into sysinstall and followed the instructions in the Creating Slices section of Absolute FreeBSD by Lucas (p.240). Then I moved on to the next section, Create Partitions. The first attempt was unsuccessful. Sysinstall instructed me to sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16. I did that, and tried sysinstall->configure->fdisk->label again. Still no luck. The message was "Error mounting /dev/da0s3d/ on /mnt: No such file or directory"

So how do you prepare a home for the PC-BSD dump?

Gabi
Old 06-02-2008, 01:26 AM

There's another thing. When I hook up the MyBook to my PC-BSD machine, the said machine is taking its sweet time to notice. KDE will eventually tell me that it found a new device, and offer to open it in a new window, but man it takes a long time. Any reason for that? Any way to speed it up?

Be that as it may, after this sysinstall+fdisk+label debacle, plus the sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16, whatever that means, the MyBook got unmounted. I can't mount it in Konsole either.

dmesg is now telling me this:

umass0: Western Digital External HDD, rev 2.00/1.08, addr 2
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <WD 1600JB External 0108> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
da0: 152627MB (312581808 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 19457C)
mount option <data> is unknown
g_vfs_done():da0s1[READ(offset=3221230592, length=1024)]error = 6
ntfs_loadntnode: BREAD FAILED
ntfs_vget: CAN'T LOAD ATTRIBUTES FOR INO: 5
ntfs_root: VFS_VGET failed: 6
g_vfs_done():da0s1[READ(offset=3221230592, length=1024)]error = 6
ntfs_loadntnode: BREAD FAILED
ntfs_vget: CAN'T LOAD ATTRIBUTES FOR INO: 5
ntfs_root: VFS_VGET failed: 6

I can't mount it by hand either. Look:

pcbsd# mount /dev/da0 /mnt
mount: /dev/da0 on /mnt: incorrect super block
pcbsd# mount /dev/da0s1 /mnt
mount: /dev/da0s1: No such file or directory
pcbsd#

So what do I do? Where can I dump PC-BSD in order to turn this laptop into a dual-boot pc-bsd and mepis box?

Thank you,

Gabi
Old 06-02-2008, 05:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Originally Posted by gabi
"Error mounting /dev/da0s3d/ on /mnt: No such file or directory"
I've sometimes gotten taht when I've pluggedin a mass storage device that hadn't been detected yet, I usually try to mount the devices upper format so it re-scans whats there and then mount the device.

I don't have Absolute FreeBSD, so what did you do to setup the slices?
Old 06-02-2008, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Dual-boot PC-BSD and SimplyMEPIS Linux (solved)
As usual, this particular problem brought up all sorts of things I thought I needed to know, but got off without having to. Still, ignorance is scary.

The USB external drive is still out of commission. I'll get to it later.

The PC-BSD install disk recognizes Linux on the other partition. The Mepis install disk sees two partitions as well, but has no idea what's on the other. In fairness, the install instructions do say that Win XP will be detected and left alone, but another Unix will not be noticed.

Whatever. All I need is for one of the two to recognize the other, and offer to boot it. PC-BSD obliged, so I installed with its own boot loader. All is well now. I get this black screen that says F1 PC-BSD, F2 Linux. Grub would have been prettier, but who's complaining? I'm in business.

And now about making slices, Absolute FreeBSD recipe:

# sysinstall

Then Configure, then Fdisk. Make a slice by pressing C. Pick a size, etc. Confirm by pressing W. Answer "Yes" to the "Are you absolutely sure" blurb. The next screen will offer you three boot manager choices. You don't need one for an external drive, so scroll down to Standard. You're done. Hit Q, then Esc until you're out of sysinstall altogether.

That's all I did. Thanks for your help, Terry.

Gabi