I am managing to build an ESS (Emacs Speaks Statistics; /ports/math/ess) PBI module for PCBSD so that I can use a statistical package R (/ports/math/R) under emacs on my amd64 machine. However I have encountered several issues described below:
1. I first tried to use EasyPBI to build the module and then build the PBI, and the PBI size ended up with 230.9MB. As this is just an extension for emacs the file size should have bee much much smaller than this. Is there anyway that I can shrink the file to a more reasonable size?
2. The ess PBI created by using EasyPBI actually didn't work after trying to install on my machine, so I decided to look at the ess homepage (http://ess.r-project.org
) and tried to install manually. On the website it says to install ess from the source I have to:
(1) Extract all the files from ess-VERSION.tgz into the directory PREFIX/site-lisp where PREFIX is appropriate for GNU Emacs on your system; PREFIX will most likely be either /usr/share/emacs or /usr/local/share/emacs.
(2) Then, add the line
to ~/.emacs and restart Emacs.
(3) If you see a buffer named *ESS*, then the simple instructions were most likely successful.
Since PCBSD uses pbi system, I assume the PREFIX here should be /usr/pbi/emacs-amd64. Under this directory, however, there are two site-lisp directories:
So which site-lisp directory should I extract the source code ess-VERSION.tgz into?
3. Where is the init file for emacs in PCBSD? I have looked around in my PCBSD system but just couldn't find any init file under ~/.emacs.d directory? I couldn't even find any file like ~/.emacs nor ~/.emacs/init.el anywhere in my system even though the emacs was installed over AppCafe. If any of you have been using emacs for your work on PCBSD, where do you put your init file??