Old 06-12-2012, 09:53 PM

Default Laptop does not sleep / hibernate
Hello All,

This past week I install PC-BSD on a Lenovo X220T to study about Unix command line. So far I had it triple boots with Windows 8 RP, Ubuntu, and PC-BSD 9.1 Snapshot 05-25-2012.

Pc-BSD is running great but it had problem with sleep and hibernation. when I put it to sleep, it would not wake back up. It just freeze. My guess it would have to be the Intel HD 3000 video driver / or ACPI issue.

Nay help is appreciate.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to ktux Send a message via Skype™ to ktux
Same issue here with my Nvidia GTX 465.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:15 PM

I doubt that sleep/hibernation works in FreeBSD/PC-BSD!
In the german www.bsdforen.de it's known that it don't work. And yes, on my Athlon64 X2 Tower with Radion X1550 video card it don't work too. So its not a special problem of your Thinkpad!

You should try Stand-by, that consumes some energy but it works most time.
On my Athlon64 X2 the wake up from stand-by makes my USB-mouse not work. I must plug-out my mouse an plug-in again to work. But my USB-keyboard (in USB-keyboard) works always after wake-up.

But better than full reboot.

Last edited by Artchi; 06-16-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:54 PM

I just wish that PC-BSD could resolve the these sleep / wake up issues. For most, I think least of compatible drivers for hardware is keeping new and experiences users from using PC-BSD as the main OS. Once there is enough users base, developers will eventually port / create applications for PC-BSD.

I think my laptop is missing the necessary video driver to resume from wake-up properly. It goes to sleep and hibernate correctly. I had seem this quite often that PC can not wake up due to improper video driver. Eventually the sleep / wake up issue resolve itself when the proper driver is release.

Last edited by minhgi; 06-17-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Default Sleep mode not working
Hey everyone we are aware of this problem, and I have submitted this enhancement suggestion to our ticket tracking system. I spoke with Kris and he's going to take a look at it here soon and see what we can do. I'll let you all know if we have any updates as they happen.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:07 PM

hi all --

i wanted to mention that there has been some recent work on trying to improve the suspend/resume capabilities of (some? all?) laptops. i'm following (but not contributing -- i know when to say 'no') to several discussions on the freebsd-acpi list. hopefully patches will be integrated into the FreeBSD system base and we'll be able to enjoy functional suspend/resume.

just an FYI.
cheers!