Trying to install to a 4g flash drive (I don't have any 8g on hand).
Minimal installation (as per my testing) with XFCE desktop, Samba, Web server, etc, takes ~3g of space.
Attempting to install to VMWare, works well (~10g hard drive). Install to Esxi, works well (10g & 20g tested). Install to flash drive? Installer locks up or is VERY slow. This is not when the installer is first launched, but rather on the "Installation" step. other configuration steps previous to this work normally and have no unusual delay, etc. It appears to first appear when the step for "Installing Meta-Package: Base System" appears (unable to confirm consumed space on drive).
Testing shows I can vary the hard drive size in VMWare to 8g but no lower, or I experience the issue.
(Potentially) Helpful information:
- Using normal 64bit DVD (not live)
- Using latest (MD5 hash verify) ISO
- No physical media used only locally sourced organic ISO
- Appears to effect both DVD and Internet sources for installation media (the options in the installer)
- Using ZFS root file system
- Using the entire drive
- Installer will respond (after several minutes) to attempting to use parts of the UI (e.g. pressing "help" or "abort", will show the normal prompts, just with excessive delay)
- Attempting to drop to console does work (slowly)
- An error appears on ttyv0: "ERROR: Failed to start GUI installer with detected driver... Trying VESA mode"
- Attempting to use other TTY's show a login prompt, entering information into the console is extremely delayed (several minutes to enter text in some circumstances)
- Tested RAM configurations: 512mb, 1g, 2g.
Similar issues appear here, but no resolution: 1
Honestly, it sound like the installation is starved of resources or thrashing.
Perhaps the installer in sub 4g installation profile's have their swap set too low or off?
I assume the install process mirrors that of FreeBSD and there are actually "make install"s going on in the background. Thus temporary files, thus more space than reported is being used if the cleanup process is not aggressive enough between builds. Fair assumption?
Downloading and attempting to use a "live" version to use this troubleshooting
, but won't be able to test until tomorrow.