Old 11-11-2008, 07:02 PM

Default using PBI in FreeBSD
HHello,

I have question - why PBI is not available in FreeBSD for usage (not enough soft for using or for extract data from PBI)? I understanding the PBI is conservative archive+scripts binary file, who break FreeBSD-philosophy of location program file. However, to have the tools for manipulation PBI in FreeBSD was the very good. Any plan for porting PBI to FreeBSD ?
Old 11-15-2008, 07:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Default Re: using PBI in FreeBSD
Originally Posted by Ole
HHello,

I have question - why PBI is not available in FreeBSD for usage (not enough soft for using or for extract data from PBI)? I understanding the PBI is conservative archive+scripts binary file, who break FreeBSD-philosophy of location program file. However, to have the tools for manipulation PBI in FreeBSD was the very good. Any plan for porting PBI to FreeBSD ?
To use PBI on FreeBSD, you must checkout the needed code from PC-BSD Subversion repository, and figure out how to build & install it on FreeBSD, then setup a suitable system for installing PBI files.

FreeBSD does not want PBI.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:20 PM

i always thought PBI was for pc bsd installer...muaehaehaeh :twisted:
Old 06-30-2009, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ballans
PC-BSD really shines in its use of FreeBSD as the underlying operating system. This means that any software available on FreeBSD will work under PC-BSD.

PC-BSD also adds a new packaging system, the PBI file. PBI works much like MSI files in Windows, as a standard installation system. Installing a PBI is just as easy as using a standard Windows installation file.
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Nothing to add to the thread, just wants to display his signature links.
Ban Ballans.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:11 PM

Old thread! =) I found this while trying to figure out how to add packages to a FreeBSD server. I have to admit, with my understanding of the advantages of the PBI system, I was surprised to find out that FreeBSD doesn't want to use it.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Beginning with latest 9.1 snapshot, a PC-BSD server install includes all of the cli versions of the pc-bsd utilities (warden, update manager, appcafe, etc.). It is still a command line version of FreeBSD, so basically a base FreeBSD install with the addition of the PC-BSD utils.