Old 05-01-2012, 05:24 AM

Default Soffice spreadsheet locked up computer
This machine all of a sudden locked up. Pkill locked up too. Reboot needed.

Here is the last part of /var/log/messages

Code:
Apr 30 21:57:17 TOP dbus[1564]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.UPower'
Apr 30 21:57:34 TOP gnome-keyring-daemon[2035]: couldn't allocate secure memory to keep passwords and or keys from being written to the disk
Apr 30 21:57:45 TOP pulseaudio[2242]: module.c: module-detect is deprecated: Please use module-udev-detect instead of module-detect!
Apr 30 21:57:45 TOP pulseaudio[2242]: oss-util.c: '/dev/dsp0' doesn't support full duplex
There is no audio running and it is not a laptop so I don't want any power saving features. After reboot and trying to open the sheet again, it just sat there for a long time. Finally it came up. However, saving causes Soffice to go crazy again. Any hints?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:34 AM

It looks like I solved the problem. Transfer the .ods file to a machine running an old version of open office. Open the document and save it under another name. This made the file size go from 881828 bytes to 105082 bytes. When transferred back to PC-BSD, the file can now be opened in Kspread.

If I click on the new file in Dolphin, then Soffice (the default) tries to open the old file nevertheless. It looks like it's stuck.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:24 PM

Better try to use LibreOffice PBI, works great. OpenOffice is too old and Koffice too, new is comming Caligra.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by nemysis View Post
Better try to use LibreOffice PBI, works great. OpenOffice is too old and Koffice too, new is comming Caligra.
I think you're right. It puzzles me that OO is included in distributions since it is generally used in an environment where flaws and delays can be catastrophic. In this case the spreadsheet needed to be ready for the next morning and before I came across the fix, I was contemplating using a word processor and a handheld calculator. Even writing it out by hand would have been a viable solution.

However, I don't think it is a problem with being old, because the older versions worked well. The alphabet and arithmetic hasn't changed so no upgrades should have been done.