Old 04-29-2012, 11:55 AM

Default Performance issues
Tried PC-BSD some weeks ago, would much like to try it sometime again, but there were slight problems with it. Ok my computer is certainly not an high end machine, Intel Core2Duo E214 1.5 ghz, two gigs of ram, Nvidia GT210, Pata drive as system drive and so on. But still, it runs smoothly Kubuntu 12.04 64-bit, it replays HD-videos smoothly, it can view large pdf files smoothly and so on. At least under Kubuntu, or Vista. Also desktop effects are in use under the Kubuntu.

But under PC-BSD 9 and KDE4? It boots reasonably fast, some operations like using Firefox are about as smooth is with Kubuntu, but then performance drops dramatically. Viewing pdf's with Okular? Very sluggish. Hd-Videos? No luck either. And it seems that system hogs memory very fast when compared to Kubuntu?

So is there any way to address those little problems? I would very much like to give PC-BSD another try.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:16 PM

"Hogging" memory is a good thing. What it's doing is actually using your RAM instead of virtual disk ram. You really want close to 100% RAM usage as it's much faster than your harddrive. I haven't had any real performance issues except for a super slow and worn out harddrive that I'm currently testing on. Have you installed the nvidia drivers? A little more system information might help us to help you. Also are you running PC-BSD 9 64bit?
Old 05-03-2012, 02:55 AM

Default slow machine
You can try installing the linux version of Adobe's reader in /linux & see if that is faster. +2 on getting the Nvidia drivers !! Also see if you can get more RAM and/or faster clock speed RAM which relates to what your motherboard can support. This is especially important if you don't use a swap file or rarely use it. If your graphics shares RAM with the rest of the computer, experiment with changing that. Of course, if you can get a faster CPU, go for it.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:31 PM

Thanks for answers, yes I installed and used closed Nvidia drivers (main reason was that open source drivers don't have fan speed controll, and fan noise is really irritating).

All I can say that under PC-BSD system just was not as respensive as with Kubuntu, especially Okular (KDE's own pdf viewer I do not like Adobe's own product.) Going to try it again sometime in future though.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:32 AM

Talking Desktops matter
For PC-BSD, consider using Isotope 9 if you aren't already doing so. There are light weight desktops like fluxbox, LXDE or xfce that will blow the doors off of Gnome 3 Unity in Ubuntu or Kubuntu's KDE desktop. I'm not sure if Open Box is supported or not, but if it is, use it. It is spartan to say the least, but it doesn't require that much in the way of system resources.

Open box on PC-BSD (or any other operating system) can run just as fast as puppy Linux. So can fluxbox. My install of PC-BSD lives on an external USB hard drive instead of a SATA drive. Needless to say, this is a lot slower then an internal hard drive. Typically I use LXDE and the performance is perfectly adequate. KDE and Gnome are much slower. With fluxbox or Open box, you would never guess that you weren't using an internal drive at all !! Of course, you have to live with fewer options and GUI tools.

The nice thing about any type of BSD is that you don't have to trade speed for stability. Reliability matters too.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:41 PM

Used Isotope 9 version. I'm very reluctant to use other desktop environments than KDE, because I simply like KDE quite much, and it suites for my needs.

Btw. installing to external usb-harddrive, did you have any problems, because I'm quite interested about that option. I have 1 tb external drive and its partitioning is much easier (and faster) to change than partitioning of my system drive, so installing Isotope 9 to it is quite much more convenient to me.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:04 AM

Default install
Installing to the external drive was no problem, just had to make sure the boot loader was also put there and no swap partition is installed.

Its slow, but it works well. Its a good substitute if my hard drive fails. Just make sure NOT to use a swap file or the machine will be unusable. It runs more like a Pentium 3 then a regular machine. Bandwidth and data transfer are bottle necked by using USB.

I'm thinking of putting that external drive into an external Sata cage + an external PCM-CIA card for Sata. I have a laptop.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:11 PM

I gave PC-BSD another chance installed it as third os, to main system drive. Everything seems to work fine
Old 05-05-2012, 09:54 PM

Tried LXDE, was very surpised of its performance, wow this is fast, some rough edges though, but like you need to use external drives from /media folder, rather than from filemanagers sidepanel
Old 05-06-2012, 12:53 AM

Default LXDE file manager
LXDE can run dolphin, which is KDE's file manager. Just make an icon. You can also probably run Konqueror as well. It is a different desktop, and has its quirks. Xfce is also light weight and quick. It has some issues with the taskbars. You have to right click the desktop. It can sometimes be a bit more buggy then LXDE, but some folks just love it. It might be worth trying it out to see which you like better. It is a little quicker then LXDE, but still fairly full featured.