Old 04-26-2012, 11:31 AM

Default Possible error in the documentation with Grub2?
After a first proposal (3 years ago!!!), I've finally convinced the redaction of a review on PCBSD in the French Linux Pratique Essentiel magazine, aimed for the beginners with FOSS.

So, on one of my installation (alongside LinuxMint & XP), I've followed to the letter the instructions of the handbook (ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/handbook/9.0...en_ver9.0.html -> Chapter 4.5.3.2 Adding PC-BSD to GRUB Version 2 ) to add an entry to Grub2 (as a beginner will do): it didn't work!

It seems it is because of mixed Grub 1 & 2 entries syntax in the handbook:

The last part about "installing ZFS on a GPT partition" seems right (menuentry, etc) but the 3 first have the old Grub 1 syntax (title, root, etc).

On my LinuxMint (Ubuntu derivated) laptop, using Grub 2 (V. 1.99~rc1), the (working) entry comes in the file /etc/grub.d/40_custom, who look then like this:

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.

menuentry "PCBSD 9.0" {
set root=(hd0,4)
chainloader +1
}

(In my configuration, the 4th partition of the 1st disk (/dev/sda4 in Linux) as Grub 2 doesn't count anymore from 0, but from 1.)

Then "sudo update-grub" and you're ready to roll

Greetings from France.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Would you mind updating those entries at: http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Dual...GRUB_Version_2. This will ensure that they are correct for the next version of the Handbook.

Please post the URL to the review once it is published :-)
Old 04-26-2012, 03:54 PM

Hi Dru,

I feel dumb that I didn't even thought about looking in the Wiki, I'm might really need more sleep

The first entry in the wiki (like my install) is correct (compared to the handbook) so there is nothing to edit.

The 2nd and 3rd still seems suspicious (because of the use of "title" and not the expected "menuentry" of Grub2) but I'm unable to test an installation on a second HDD, as I haven't enough space anymore and no GPT / EFI hardware, I'm really sorry

The 4th seems correct again, but I can't confirm it either...

Sure, I can post an URL, but I think it will be only a low-res preview (not even sure one can read it, without forgetting that will be in French) because it will be in a magazine being sold in kiosk and I can't publish it anywhere else. Anyway, I'll keep you informed.

By the way, are you aware of some of the issues I've described here http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.p...5730#post95730 and there http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.p...5731#post95731 ?

Greetings from France.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:31 AM

About the review: PC-BSD even get 2 articles from the same French editor !!!

The first is already out in Linux Pratique (for advanced users), the magazine I've proposed it (3 years ago as I already said it, but in France we say "better late than never" ) and can be seen here (pages 70 to 75 / I didn't wrote it):
http://www.ed-diamond.com/feuille_lpra71/index.html

I will post a link of my review in Linux Pratique Essentiel when it's out.

Please move this post if there's a more appropriate section in the forum, as this is going slowly but surely off-topic...

Greetings from France.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:40 AM

Hi Dru,

Because of this thread (http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=16816) I do have updated those entries at: http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Dual...GRUB_Version_2.

As it seems that every versions of Grub2 installed out there uses now an entry in the 40_custom file, I've changed this sentence:

"If you installed PC-BSD on the first hard drive, in the 3rd primary partition, the entry would look something like this:"

to that:

"If you installed PC-BSD on the first hard drive, in the 3rd primary partition, the entry in the file /etc/grub.d/40_custom would look something like this:"

and this one:

"After a GRUB2 configuration change you need to run update-grub as the superuser or sudo update-grub on a Debian-based system. If you are trying to dual-boot with GRUB2 under Fedora 16, run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg as the superuser."

to that:

"After a GRUB2 configuration change you need to run update-grub as the superuser or sudo update-grub on a Debian-based system. If you are trying to dual-boot with GRUB2 under Fedora 16 or Gentoo, run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg as the superuser (Please note that if using Sabayon, you need to use grub-mkconfig instead of grub2-mkconfig)."

As it is the first time I'm editing a wiki, is this OK like this?

I'm still thinking that the 2nd and 3rd entries from this section have to be modified, but still can't test it
Old 05-03-2012, 05:15 AM

Thumbs up
I noticed your edit before reading anything in this thread, so of course I was suspicious by habit (we get enough spammers/vandals to cause this reaction).

Looking it over, I can only assume it is accurate since I have not tested anything like it. So thanks for improving the wiki, it is definitely appreciated.

Now I can also add to the 'errata' page since something in the v9.0 Handbook was in error.

This also brings up a possible issue- If all installs include a Handbook file or a link to a published Handbook format, How do those people get told about the Errata(e)? I would suggest that a link to the Errata page be included in future published versions.

Update:

I have added the changes to the Errata page, and have included a link to the Errata page on the v9.1 Handbook's Preface page.

Last edited by Tigersharke; 05-03-2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: update
Old 05-03-2012, 09:15 AM

Hi Tigersharke,

Thanks for your thanks

It's a great thing you've done with the Errata page, as I almost forgot there was one...

But, as I already stated before, in the Grub2 section, the 2nd and 3rd still seems very very very suspicious (because of the use of "title" and not the expected "menuentry" of Grub2)...

Sadly I'm unable to test an installation on a second HDD, as I haven't enough space anymore and no GPT / EFI hardware.

Hopefully, somebody will have this kind of setup and post the correct entries, then this section will be checked and done for good...
Old 05-04-2012, 08:54 AM

Yes. When someone can verify, the corrections can be made and noted on the Errata page.

Mistakes are always possible.. they are not intentional, so if anyone discovers an error on the wiki somewhere, or in a published version of the handbook, please take action on it.

As for other documentation not within the handbook but available from the wiki.. The main page has some low-traffic topics that anyone is welcome to donate time to improve and enhance with their experiences:

Pkgsrc in PC-BSD Game Testing PBI Build Testing