Old 04-21-2012, 09:41 AM

Default Window maker support in future
I have tried using Window Maker on PCBSD9.0-RELEASE and it is good to see that some PCBSD features are implemented in this window manager (e.g. AppCafe). However there definitely are some more improvement that can be done in future. For example when minimize AppCafe the "docked" icon for AppCafe appears to be black and white with a very low resolution - at least this is how it looks like on my computer.

I wish in future Window Maker (and preferably Enlightenment too) can be fully supported in PCBSD like those other desktops (although Window Manager and enlightenment are not really Desktop environments). I would like to know what are the requirements to make these desktops to be fully supported by PCBSDso that when I have time I will see what I can do to make this happen in future.

Regards,
Sam
Old 04-21-2012, 07:56 PM

Enlightenment is one of my favorites, but I must admit I've rarely used Window Maker. I could try and tackle the Enlightenment side of it.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:25 PM

All major Window Managers should be supported. Personally use only Fluxbox.

For lighter support all WM is better to use ROX-Filler default to have Icons and others.

Then is for all WM light to use PC-BSD Tools, and only one program for all WM. ROX-Filler is now PBI and should be in base.

Idesk is too old and not works good.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:07 PM

Window Maker has been added as one of the unsupported desktop environments for PC-BSD 9.1.

As far as I know, Elightenment (E17) needs to be recompiled every time you want to change a configuration option. This does not make it a good choice for us to add a system-package for it, because everyone will probably need to recompile it to "get it right" anyway. If this ever does change for Enlightenment (needing to recompile to configure), please let me know and I can get that added as an additional DE as well. For now, you will have to add it in yourself using the FreeBSD ports tree.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:06 AM

I don't mean to be rude or anything of the sort, so I hope the following doesn't alienate developers.

But I just came from the irc.freenode.net #e and brought your case to them, where you said that you can't change configurations without recompiling, and one of the devs called you utterly incorrect in every aspect.

He also said that the PCBSD devs should check around the e_config.c file because that is the file that E reads changes from.

The dev also said that if bugs are discovered that they should be reported to them, because they'll fix it and they recommend building e17 from the svn.

...Again, I'm just writing what I was told and hope it didn't aggravate anyone.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:27 AM

Thank you for the clarification!
I just added an "Unsupported Desktop" meta-package set for the Enlightenment (currently e17) desktop environment. It should be available for the next testing release of PC-BSD 9.1 if you want to give it a shot.