Old 03-25-2012, 12:30 AM

Exclamation [Solved] Amazon Instant streaming does not work
Hi, just came from another distro, sabayon , a gentoo fork and thought I would try pc-bsd out curiosity, and so far I am liking it, every thing loads faster and is 10X better,
BUT!

Amazon's video streaming service does not work, with the error simply stating "there was an error updating your player"

this service used not to not work on sabayon , either, only debian, after you installed HAL

But I think sabayon fixed it some how by updating the flash player to most recent version that was released not to long ago, (I think one week ago, at the most?)

But Also, If I understood correctly from adobe's help article,(http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/929/cpsid_92948.html) the "protected" streams I am trying to watch use HAL with flash to do the decryption of the stream(don't know the technical process of it)

I see something resembling HAL at the loader screen, but maybe since this is not a linux distro of any sort, but unix, things maybe are ALOT different, in a few ways?

I know this is not supposed to be a home user's distro as it is unix, but what would I need to do to get this fixed?

Thanks!

Have a good and happy day!

Last edited by jdx; 05-07-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Compiling chromium from ports (Source) resolved issue
Old 03-25-2012, 12:32 AM

Also forgot to mention, you get the same error, that I just described , where ever it is unable to decode the video , linux or unix

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2012, 07:15 PM
Administrator

This service is serving swf files. Can you try adding the swfdec flash plugin to see if it fixes the error? If so, we'll add it to the base system. See section 7.2.4 for installation instructions:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/...-browsers.html
Old 04-15-2012, 10:29 AM

drulavigne:
Hi, sorry I did not get back to you sooner, but there is a more urgent matter pending no terminals work to install swfdec since a week ago, but I've been busy with offline stuff , so I could not post here

Xterm simply says can not execute nonexistent, no such file or directory

I am using LXDE

How do I fix this? reinstall everything or what would you suggest?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Administrator

It's strange for that error to occur after a month. Have you been installing stuff using ports or packages outside of ports jail?
Old 04-19-2012, 03:56 PM

Question
Originally Posted by drulavigne View Post
It's strange for that error to occur after a month. Have you been installing stuff using ports or packages outside of ports jail?

Sorry for the late reply again, been busy...

No I have not, been only using PBI's from appcafe
in another thread,(http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=16731) some one said it was from incorrect permissions
Is this a valid assumption?

I re-installed PC-BSD with everything at it's defaults,with one exception, I chose LXDE , and I also installed ports and ports(source)

Also by the way, all the smiley-face selection buttons are broken from here , with the google-chrome web-browser from the app cafe'

Update:
If I login via the lxdm as root, the xterm works just fine, so the dude in the other thread was correct, how do I change permissions, to get it and amazon prime working?

Last edited by jdx; 04-19-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:26 PM

Default Update on getting amazon streaming to work
Originally Posted by drulavigne View Post
This service is serving swf files. Can you try adding the swfdec flash plugin to see if it fixes the error? If so, we'll add it to the base system. See section 7.2.4 for installation instructions:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/...-browsers.html
update:
just installed swfdec, still does not work

But the un-encrypted videos work fine

But there are some that use DRM , such as these: http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Jobs-One...4870374&sr=1-2

Since there is no way that I can if the video uses drm or not, you would not know until you try to play it

If you need an account with amazon to test the videos or something I can provide one

Thanks, Alot!

Have a good day!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:58 PM

Cool Update
Hello, here's an update to the amazon streaming problem
somehow, compiling chrome from ports (source) and enabling h264 in compilation configuration flags fixed this issue

Don't know what else could have fixed it , that was included in the software compilation, but I am pretty sure and confident that much more was at work than just the H264 c-flag, but then again,
not many people use amazon prime's video streaming service that use PC-BSD, if any, but it could be worth looking into, If any one in the future needs /wants this service to function on this wonderfully pleasant, small and efficient distro!

Thanks for your help! , drulavigne
It Was dearly and kindly appreciated!

Have a Great Day!

Last edited by jdx; 05-07-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:43 PM

Default Update
I have also found the lastest flash plugin helps(11.01-r102), as well!