Old 04-14-2012, 06:52 AM

Default locating network shares within a program
Hello everyone
I'm very new to PC-BSD having recently installed it on my pc as a trial, so far i've ran into a few brick walls that I'm hoping someone can help me with, I won't mention them all on this post but I'll start with the one that's bothering me most, which is how do I locate a network share within a program ie I use keepassx to store passwords and the database in on my freenas server but when I browse for the network location where the database is stored I cant find it I can only browse through local files even though I can access the shares through the file manager. in my linux installation I would locate the network shares in a folder called gvfs but I cant find that folder or any alternative anywhere in PC-BSD, any help anyone can give me would be much appreciated

Many thanks
Graeme
Old 04-16-2012, 01:10 AM

I must say I'm surprised that no one has ventured a suggestion yet. Unfortunately I'm an old fashioned guy and have never used "shares" - preferring to just use FTP and SSH/Telnet between all my computers.

Anyway, just giving this a "bump" here Graeme.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:18 AM

Smile
Thanks Ole
Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 PM

Presumably no one has a suggestion to offer, but can anyone please tell me if the problem could be with the firewall, i say that because everytime I boot into BSD I have to switch the firewall off to access my network shares (unticking the box to enable firewall at start up does nothing), I've looked through the list to see if there is a service I can add as an exception in the firewall but I don't see anything that seems relevant, I know I maybe clutching at straws but I can't believe what I want to do is not possible and to be honest if I can't get over this simple problem this operating system is absolutely no use to me

Many thanks

Graeme
Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 PM

Further to my last post I've noticed that If I try to share a folder I get a message telling me I don't have samba or NFS installed yet when I check in system manager samba is installed ( I dont know about NFS as I dont see it anywhere) is there something obvious I'm missing here ?

Many thanks
Graeme
Old 04-18-2012, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Emegra View Post
I've looked through the list to see if there is a service I can add as an exception in the firewall but I don't see anything that seems relevant, I know I maybe clutching at straws but I can't believe what I want to do is not possible and to be honest if I can't get over this simple problem this operating system is absolutely no use to me

Many thanks

Graeme
Unfortunately I've never used Samba either and can't resolve your issue but you should be able to enter the port number in the firewall manager GUI and make a generic rule. I'm not a fan of it and would rather make my own rules though the /etc/pf.conf file but the GUI seems to be overriding that for some reason, which is more the fault of the firewall manager than the OS itself.

Please don't get discouraged and let it put you off using PC-BSD. Hopefully your situation will be resolved before long and you can out it behind you.

Edit: I tried makng a generic rule by choosing the last service listed, zip, and entering 0 as the port and it added the rule to the list. I can't test it but you might give it a try. Just enter the port you're using, protocol, device and direction and it should work no matter what it's calling it, zip or otherwise.

Last edited by Weixiong; 04-18-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:38 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Alvin Send a message via Skype™ to Alvin
I'm also a KeePassX user. The file selector dialog does not support KIO, nor does it contain shortcuts to mount points, but you can navigate the tree, so it is possible to select files on mounted drives.

Your FreeNAS supports NFSv4(4). PC-BSD does too. Why not try that? No change in the default firewall rules is needed.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
I must say I'm surprised that no one has ventured a suggestion yet.
No need to emphasize this kind of delay by a non-thread-author.

Originally Posted by Emegra View Post
Presumably no one has a suggestion to offer, but can anyone please tell me if the problem could be with the firewall, i say that because everytime I boot into BSD I have to switch the firewall off to access my network shares (unticking the box to enable firewall at start up does nothing), I've looked through the list to see if there is a service I can add as an exception in the firewall but I don't see anything that seems relevant, I know I maybe clutching at straws but I can't believe what I want to do is not possible and to be honest if I can't get over this simple problem this operating system is absolutely no use to me

Many thanks

Graeme

It is not clear what is the real problem. You mentioned you can only browse local filesystems, so my first guess is that you don't know how to use Dolphin or whatever file manager you are using to browse to a samba share. In such case, and assuming you are using KDE and Dolphin, right click on the address bar and choose edit from the context menu; the address to go to should be in the form of smb://freenasMachine/share. However, as pointed out by Alvin, probably this is not what you need since your programs will not support share redirection (thru KIOSlaves). Therefore I guess you need to mount the FreeNAS share (.e.g, at boot) via command line
Code:
mount_smbfs //freenasMachine/share /mnt/localShareName
Please note that in this case you need a ~/.nmbrc file to avoid password prompt.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by fluca1978 View Post
No need to emphasize this kind of delay by a non-thread-author.
I will assume that you are not being deliberately rude. I had suggested that the OP post here, which he did, and then there was no answer. That made me feel somewhat guilty so I was trying to do the right thing by at-least acknowledging the situation. It was exactly the right thing to do.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:33 AM

Hi again everyone, thanks for all the replies, as I said in an earlier post I'm really not too computer literate especially when it cones to command line syntax etc so I'm gonna need some time to study the suggestions you've all made before I try to implement them. from reading the replies it seems the assumption is that I'm using KDE I should have pointed out that I'm using the Gnome DE if that makes any difference. Anyway work commitments are quite heavy at the moment and I don't have a lot of time but the first chance I get i'll try whats been suggested ant let you all know how I get on.

Many thanks

Graeme