Old 04-12-2012, 02:48 PM

Default USB Mode Switch
Although I am not fully versed on this PCBSD yet, I can see the overall need for the installation process to take into consideration "poor thinking" of some device manufacturers

As network installations are of great importance to this OS it also presents a problem though. So how to get the system to distinguish between a usb adapter that has a "Windoze executable(Executioner)" and installation from the network is one tough problem.

Since PCBSD install is very aggressive towards finding network installation, I can only presume to someway, work out a 2 way option of yes or no for network installations. How to accomplish this task, along with also installing the USB Mode Switch would be an incredible feat.

Although most hardware manufacturers are coming around to the fact of all Operating systems, still some remain to disregard that fact leaving us stranded with devices that are very difficult to configure. Software writers are left with disasters on their hands, to accomplish these fixes.

Thanks to many of these software writers that have found the solutions. I strongly believe in the USB Mode Switch(libusb). The program is well written and configured. Works well with previous versions of this current OS and other OS's requiring it. As it is something invaluable to all OS's, I personally want to plead that it becomes part of the PCBSD installation process.

Currently, I have changed to a different Wireless Adapter, but I can still understand the need for this switch to be implemented. Currently, installation of the USB Mode Switch on PCBSD 9.0 seems to fail. The file is made, but when applied is met with an answer that it does not understand how to implement.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:47 PM

To go with my above statement, I have formulated a plan that can prove to solve many issues with installation.

As stated, I am not fully versed as of yet. If the sysinstall option is available during boot there can be a way to cure many problems. If this program were to successfully access CD drives, one can install drivers. If an option were created to use ndisgen at this point, would also be of invaluable assistance.

Upon use of sysinstall a program devised to scan for hardware issues to allow users to either abort installation or create thru ndisgen. Although, I lack expertise in this system, I am prone to believe it also relies on an information file for drivers to work precisely. Ndisgen seems to work well, but am not 100% sure on its effectiveness of providing this information file. This can be trouble for inexperienced users to fully resolve hardware issues(as myself).

Pertaining to modeswitch, the sysinstall option would be the best place to put it. The option whether a user needs it, or doesn't would be very effective. Currently, sysinstall seems to have trouble accessing CD/DVD drives so this is also an issue that needs correction.

I do question the option of floppy disks, but also understand some drivers are small files. I have a more firm belief that most users would need to install drivers from a CD. Any statements I have made are not made to "insult" anyone. I am just hoping some of these ideas could go to use, as to assist everyone to avoid many issues. If these issues were resolved, it would then allow these brilliant developers to progress further.

I sincerely wish I did not lack the knowledge on this system, as I would thoroughly enjoy devising the options I have stated. I have a sincere belief this is the OS that sends MS packing, and revolutionizes the way everyone looks at computers. If I am able to assist in any manner I will gladly devote as much time as possible. Bob