Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 AM

Thumbs up [solved] Wireless Network Manager woes
Hello.
I've recently installed PC-BSD 9.0 on a presario C500 laptop.
Initially I was planning to have a dual boot with Linux Mint Debian, and everything was going well, untill I got to the wireless network configuration. In the Wireless manager, I could see networks available, but somehow I could not connect to any of them, so I tryied restarting the network (right click option) and... nothing: System freeze. I couldn't even get out of X to a console via Alt+F[x], so I had to turn it off and reboot, but the system never came up functional again.
I decided then to just wipe the drive and reinstall PC-BSD again but now as single OS. I got the system up and running, and now I decided to update the wireless drivers before doing anything else with the Wireless manager. This time, thing actually worked and I was able to connect to wireless networks without a problem until I needed to make some changes to a previously saved profile (change in security settings). The system froze completely again, leaving me no option but to hard shutdown and reboot.
Now, the system booted, but it left me on the console login (no X). I went single user mode, ran fsck to fix filesytem inconsistencies, and rebooted.
But no change. I can login at the console, and tryied starting X, but all I got was a black screen.
I'd really appreciate any hints.
Regards
JF

Last edited by Jumaf; 04-15-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Thread tittle correction (Monitor -> Manager)
Old 04-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Looking further into my issue, I just noticed my system is running "Amnesiac", so I went to check /etc/rc.conf, and I found it is empty, which I guess it shouldn't be.
In my search for answers I remember having read Network Manager to incorrectly writing rc.conf (no newline at the end), so maybe this is a similar issue, but in my case rc.conf's contents being completely erased (just a guess).
If this was the case and I wanted to rebuild rc.conf, how could I do so? or is this not the case?
JF
Old 04-15-2012, 09:29 AM

Well, this issue has been brought up before in this thread:
http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=15146.
Indeed, it seems Network Manager destroyed my rc.conf

Current location of default rc.conf is http://trac.pcbsd.org/browser/pcbsd/...conf?rev=16083, in case anyone else needs it.

Last edited by Jumaf; 04-15-2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: update rc.conf location
Old 04-15-2012, 09:45 AM

I wonder if this is the same network manager that KDE used to have. It was broken. On the Kubuntu forum, we always used to suggest uninstalling that and using something else, or setting up the network manually. Anyway, I see that there is a copy of the default rc.conf here.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:12 AM

Yup, restoring rc.conf did the trick. Now, how do I mark this thread as solved?
Old 04-15-2012, 10:18 AM

Congratulations on getting it fixed. As for "solved", I don't think you can edit the title, or add that otherwise, but check the edit button on the original post to make sure.