Old 08-23-2011, 09:22 AM

Default How outdated is the book?
I see the book came out in 2010. Since 9.0 has changed some things since Hubble, how relevant is the book for Isotope? Is there really a need for a next version yet?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Default How outdated is the book?
If you use KDE as the desktop, the book is still very relevant and contains a lot of previously undocumented usage. It is still a good reference for PC-BSD in general, with the PC-BSD 9.0 Handbook filling in the gaps for things that have changed or been added.

Cheers,

Dru
Old 10-25-2011, 07:51 PM

Default Dru Lavigne's book
Hello from Guelph. If I may add to this thread, I am currently reading Dru Lavigne's excellent book The Definitive Guide to PC-BSD and it is very relevant to version 9. It covers the KDE environment beautifully as well as the ports system and I have filled in some gaps with the version 9 handbook. I have even learned some new KDE configuration tips from the book that I have applied to openSUSE Linux KDE! I highly recommend the book.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:16 AM

There are also comments on Amazon about the book.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:12 PM

Watch the command lines they aren't so good need to be updated big time!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Do you have some examples?
Old 04-07-2012, 10:01 PM

First want to thank you drulavigne as you helped me get out of that lousy command mesg|grup usb by informing me of usbconfig which is by far a better and simpler command, than the book gives. I have been through quite a few lines and I can't remember all the ones that have been replaced. Saw a few on another website also. When I remember them believe me I will share, and please share your expertise and continue helping others and greatly as you helped me! For now am out of ideas but will try to regroup. Also poor grammar above should be "Watch the command lines, some might have been replaced!" Sorry my use of grammar is going downhill these days!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:40 PM

I really made a big mistake when I entered my first reply. I was under the impression it was about the book(epub) that appears on the desktop after installation.

As you can see in my above statement if drulavigne does not know the command, I personally think it does not exist. If I could afford the book, believe me I would buy ASAP!

Maybe, one day we will all be super lucky and drulavigne will put some of his "Know How" into the included epub. Til that day, I guess we just have to ask him or other members that purchased his book, commands that are needed in extreme situations.

If anyone has any doubts about how brilliant drulavigne is, I challenge them to ask him a few questions on the IRC chat. I guarantee he comes up with the answer within a few minutes, he is incredible. So please take my apology drulavigne as I wrote before I read.

Take care and best wishes, and godspeed to do the great work you do! Bob
Old 04-17-2012, 02:14 AM

Dru is she: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/73
Old 04-17-2012, 01:42 PM

Yeah my bad! Get so used to all the ones that seem to do this stuff are guys. She is very knowledgeable and good at what she does. So is another apology I owe. Very sorry Dru! Bob