Old 04-10-2012, 06:05 PM

I just found out that my ASUSTek adapter is using the RT2870 chipset. This is the same adapter that worked out-of-the-box with PC-BSD. Pretty weird.

Maybe I'm confused, but shouldn't your adapter be detected as something other than 'umass'? That's short for USB mass storage, I think. What was it detected as before you used usb_modeswitch?

Here's what we're trying to get to:
Now, check dmesg(8) to see if there were any errors loading. If all went well, you should get output resembling the following:

ndis0: <Wireless-G PCI Adapter> mem 0xf4100000-0xf4101fff irq 3 at device 8.0 on pci1
ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.0
ndis0: Ethernet address: 0a:b1:2c:d3:4e:f5
ndis0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
ndis0: 11g rates: 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps

From here you can treat the ndis0 device like any other network interface (e.g., dc0).
Old 04-10-2012, 10:16 PM

Well, once again HAL had us all fooled. Here is his message:

[Bob@pcbsd-4726] /home/Bob# make
make: don't know how to make Desktop/usb-modeswitch-1.2.3/jim/make-load-static-exts.tcl. Stop

Apparently, as I have mentioned before some commands that are in the handbook are for previous systems. I read another post and decided to give it a try as it seemed to me I didn't get the appropriate response first time.

I mean if you look at the post, where I copy pasted it sure looks like everything was loading up, but nope HAL can't seem to understand what should be understood. Not sure where to go from here.

I did dmesg and a long list came up with zero listings as yours showed. ndis0 is not listed at all, which made me suspicious HAL was funin' me. I guess I am going to have to study up more on this mode switch deal, but for now have some studying and homework.

Of course, that above copied message is absolutely true and hope to die! I mean I hope you don't die laughing from that one! To me I almost fell over when I read it! Honestly, I am still laughing as has to be one of the most hilarious things I have seen in a while!

So if by chance you haven't died laughing at that response and come up with anything, will be awesome. Also please let me know if just plain kldload rt2870sys.ko is proper command. Seemed like it and does list, but as I say some commands have turned out not so well. Anyway thanks again for your help. Bob
Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 PM

You have to point kldload to where the module is. In my case it was kldload /home/Cobalt/rt2870_sys.ko

You'll need to load the module at startup, too. Use the instructions below, but replace W32DRIVE_SYS_load with rt2870_sys_load="YES" or whatever file ndisgen creates. From the FreeBSD handbook:

You can configure the system to load the NDIS modules at boot time in the same way as with any other module. First, copy the generated module, W32DRIVER_SYS.ko, to the /boot/modules directory. Then, add the following line to /boot/loader.conf:
W32DRIVER_SYS_load="YES"
Old 04-11-2012, 03:32 AM

I tried once again in vain to move the file rt2870.sys.ko to the boot modules folder by command line, but unfortunately HAL refuses to obey me! HAL can be very vicious at times(LOL) and am unsure what he wants to hear?

On the serious side, seems the handbook does not have a command line for me to use to move the file to the boot/modules directory. All commands I have ever learned are very poor attempts with this system. Sure is why I want it so badly. I am so tired of being manipulated on Explorer or Google in Windows. So, will really appreciate the proper command as to give this a shot.

I think you are very swift and is great to work with someone that thinks as fast and efficiently! Thanks for your continued help. Am really looking forward to the day when I am no longer flamboozled on the internet when I am hot on the trail to learn information of new technology. Anyway will really appreciate the command cause I am betting you got this solved 100%. Once again I also thank you for spending the time to help me. Bob
Old 04-11-2012, 05:20 AM

Don't try to move them with a terminal, it will be too clunky for you. Instead, use the command kdesu dolphin

This will run Dolphin as superuser. You can replace dolphin with your file manager of choice, such as thunar or nautilus. Then you can move the file to /boot/modules
Old 04-11-2012, 12:21 PM

Kdesu Dolphin worked perfectly, unfortunately I typed rt2870_sys_load="YES" in the load. config file and am done now. Went to reboot and it told me invalid format. Unsure how to fix that one presently. Is like so close and then boom out the window I went!

Will look it up when I have time which doesn't seem possible til tomorrow. Blast it. I was really excited to tell some of my junior counterparts at school, that you helped me whip this problem! Guess, will have to wait til Monday then. Have some people at school that are just as fascinated with PCBSD as I am.

Of course I envy them greatly as they are already using and connected. Seems this adapter I was once so fascinated about is nothing but a thorn in my side. Anyway will once again be real grateful if you have a way out of reloading system. Other than that would have to take each step on at a time. Since it would take a bit to get back to square one(before I fowled up loader.conf) would be great to avoid that and be back on track.

Will also add, I did a little more study on that modeswitch libusb. At first I thought I did not download the current version, but I found out I did. So as I said a few posts ago I am not 100% sure it actually loaded or what it did. I followed directions, which said to install by config file under su so I did and it all looked good. I don't know is a little confusing at times and am glad you are there to set me straight on things. Bob
Old 04-11-2012, 07:28 PM

If you can access a terminal, you can become superuser and edit the file with nano /file/you/want/to/edit

I think that you can also use the edit command.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
I think that you can also use the edit command.
If it lets you open a commandline use EasyEditor to open and edit your file as root:

Code:
#ee /boot/loader.conf
If it won't let you open a terminal insert the FreeBSD install disk you tried using before and use the repair option, or whatever it's called, to open a terminal.
Originally Posted by BBOSAK2143 View Post
...unfortunately I typed rt2870_sys_load="YES" in the load. config file and am done now. Went to reboot and it told me invalid format. Unsure how to fix that one presently. Is like so close and then boom out the window I went!
If that's the file you need to edit.

Last edited by Weixiong; 04-11-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:12 AM

I had to reload since I believe I copied the loader.conf since I did not have such a great response. Anyway, as to get the loader.conf worded properly so I don't have to reload again would appreciate help.

I have the module loaded in two folders in boot kernel and pcbsd something like that. Is hard for me to remember exact folder. This time I was a bit paranoid about entering wrong commands, since am getting a little tired of reloading.

Would really appreciate help in the loader.conf. Location of rc.conf and wpa_supplicant. conf. I learned those from FreeBSD forum, but I also learned the input(wording, the way the computer takes configs) from them and is apparently not the same. I found that out last reload.

So this is 2 reloads due to not knowing what to write in these files. I mean, I thought my Business Writing class was hard!(LOL) got to have some kind of fun huh? Actually, the Statistics class is much worse. Darned if I could keep all those formulas straight. Have the invnorm, normal cdf and pdf. Not sure how these mathematicians or statistical people do it?

Anyway, will be grateful to get the proper wording and sequence. Have to find all my proper settings also to input. Once that is all done should be hooked up, at least wouldn't understand why not? From the last words of ndisgen "Be seeing You" (LOL, remember it well from "The Prisoner" tv series) take care. Bob
Old 04-12-2012, 03:30 AM

I forgot to mention I accidently edited in kwrite instead of mousepad. I was a little tired this morning(up til 11pm doing homework) so yes I blew it. Also, thought I came into some real luck as I found $5 today, on my way out of a store.

I put the $5 towards another USB Adapter. Of course loaded it and didn't show up. As I said above, I successfully generated a new driver for it and have copy/pasted to both boot folders. Can't think of the names as both have identical drivers anyway. This one has the Atheros driver(yeah another tricky devil!) but least it doesn't need the modeswitch. Is called arusb_lhx.sys.

Is not so good where I live as far as options for these adapters. I was lucky to get it for $15 out of pocket cause of the $5 I found. Otherwise, is too hard to buy with what little cash I have. I kept hoping would just install, but nope zipidy do on that one too! Other ones around here are all linksys(Cisco) and believe me I am tired of pulling that thing out all the time.

The Belkin one that is in the ole lady's never showed up and also sounded like a project. I know no matter what I tried with that driver would not make in ndisgen. So I gave up on that one. The AM10 has a setup file on it that triggers this OS to stop loading(reason for modeswitch, I presume) so I figured I could get something simple and be done with it. Oh well such is life.

Thanks for all the help and please when you can give me advice with what I also have listed above(previous post). I really think I could get there(online) tomorrow with a little guidance. Take care. Bob