Old 04-08-2012, 05:08 PM

Default Q: llano and freebsd and mythtv
OK. I am looking at building a MythTV HTPC. I want it to be quiet and cheap. I have a windoze PC for my kid which is really quiet and runs nice with a low end llano (AMD A4-3300). (A simple blu-ray player interface to hulu plus etc. is fine, but I really want to be able to go to the network websites to see any other content that is out there for free.)

Here's the problem -- I don't know the status of AMD drivers on freebsd. I read some vague hint that 9.1 will have AMD driver support, but don't see any sites explicitly discussing this. (Where is the development thread for 9.1?)

Another problem. I have no idea what is in appcafe and see no place on-line that lists the contents. (I would have thought a link to available applications would be right there on the main website home page! Isn't this a selling point?)

If I can do it, I might do the MythTV in the portjail or in a separate jail.

Is this a project that can be done at this time?

Any help is much appreciated.

PS: I may start with linux, but I really like PC-BSD.

PSS: Oops. Forgot to mention I have a Silicondust HDHomeRun appliance. This streams digital TV signals from antenna or cable to ethernet so you can watch on any PC. Works nicely.

Last edited by redshirt; 04-08-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-08-2012, 06:12 PM

I'd recommend using an NVIDIA card over an AMD. Better support and utilities. AMD has always lagged behind NVIDIA with Linux/*BSD support.

AppCafe is accessed from within the OS. I can tell you if an application is available in it if you give me the names. Even if the applications aren't available, you can install the package or port.

I can't see anything that would keep the project from being completed.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:57 PM

Default function and price
Ideally, the system would be low power, quiet, up-to-date I/O, and low price. I know I can get a cheap motherboard with on-board Nvidia graphics, but it's slim pickings. The graphics may be good enough, but not so sure, and I haven't found an inexpensive Nvidia based motherboard with both USB3 and SATA3.

Intel boards with built in Intel graphics are out there, and are cheap, but you need to hunt for the better I/O options and the processors are not cheap. (Assuming bottom of the line core i3 is >$110 and bottom Pentium >$70. I can get A4-3400 for $60.) And also not sure about the entry level Intel graphics solutions from a performance standpoint and freebsd driver standpoint.

If I give in on the I/O, I have some more choices.

Any idea on how well the Intel graphics run under freeBSD?

(Update... checked on the Intel graphics and I understand that it's a marginal solution. I could end up having to add a video card to get it to run well enough, although the CPUs would be more powerful and HD video supposedly runs OK.)

Last edited by redshirt; 04-08-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: intel maybe not so good
Old 04-08-2012, 09:39 PM

NorhTec has some interesting products: http://www.norhtec.com/products/mcsr/index.html

I'm having a hard time finding low-power machines with up-to-date specs. Even the newest Linutop only has USB 2.0
Old 04-08-2012, 11:22 PM

Default cool!
Whoa! Cool site.

I'll probably downgrade expectations to USB2 and SATA2. I really want to ditch cable TV and go all internet and antenna.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:42 PM

Default oh... mythtv was the main app..
If you have a chance to check, I was wondering if MythTV was in appcafe?
Old 04-09-2012, 04:18 AM

I can't see MythTV in AppCafe. You can install the packages in a terminal with:

su (hit enter and type password)
pkg_add -r mythtv
pkg_add -r mythtv-frontend

I think that you can use a comma to install both of the packages like:
pkg_add -r mythtv, mythtv-frontend
Old 04-10-2012, 01:21 AM

Default newegg sale...
This one is interesting:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856173027

I think it could do the trick, if I could get drivers for it :-)

It is clearly underpowered with regards to the CPU, but seems to work well for most people.

On the other hand, I think I can build an A4-3400 based system which would have better video, and more expansion, in a modestly larger case, for cheap. (case w/ PSU, CPU/GPU, 8GB DDR3 mem, A75 mATX MB for $220 and < $300 w/ 500GB SATAIII HD ... microcenter and newegg components, depending on sales)

Zotac apparently has a big selection of these mini media PCs. zotacusa.com
Old 04-10-2012, 01:40 AM

MythTV is a system package (under the Misc/ category) rather than a PBI since it requires much better integration into the base system.
You can select it when setting up the main PC-BSD installation, or add it later through the PC-BSD system manager.