Old 04-07-2012, 02:03 PM

Smile PCBSD Install problem
Hi,everybody!

First,I would like ask for pardon because my wrong english!OK,I have a very interesting install problem.I using the pcbsd,I was started with Free BSD after the 8.2,9 RC3 and now the 9 (I would like but I can not)I have an Acer Aspire laptop and the BSD perfect knows all hardware in this laptop ,because many times I was installed on this till the last week.
Usually I used together with windows 7, I was made the boot menu with Easy BCD,nothing problem. But on the last week I have to gave more place to the PCBSD,Ok no problem I partitioned again the HDD with Partition Wizard Pro 5.2,I started with the first driver (win 7) and continoused with the others.
Before I started the new partitioning I was knew that the PCBSD will fly and that I must install again because the different file system and it was happend so,the W7 was good and worked.After when that I started install again the PCBSD, the problems was started.
So:When I am starting the laptop from the PCBSD istall DVD (that from external or from inside DVD drive all the same) or USB the problem is same.Sometimes the computer freeze under the boot (if I am waiting then nothing happens) sometimes the back and white boot menu can appears,but if I am not choose the 7th menu then the machine everytime restart.If I am choose the 7th menu and type the following ,so I was read:
"unload
disable-module vesa
set module_path=/boot/kernel;/boot/modules;CONSOLE
boot"
to try change the monitor resolution (my monitor is 17",somebody gave this advice,but earlyer this was not problem with this laptop)
than the laptop restart and the situation is same.
I downloaded few times again the PCBSD 9 and 9RC3 and 8.2 and burned again for same DVD or for a new one,naturally with the most slower burning speed,and I tried again install,but the problem is.I tried install Ubuntu and it worked fine.Ok,no problem yesterday I formatted the HDD,I gave new partitions,first I was installed the W7 and after I started install the BSD but.....the problem is same...sometimes freeze or sometimes endless booting.Sometimes appears an error message:"elf 64_lookup_symbol:corrupt symbol table"
Has somebody an idea?

Last edited by Larry Hagman; 04-08-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:37 PM

First off hope no one else thinks am beating a dead horse, but since I have been messing with this OS a bit, never know could be right! Do you have any USB device hooked to laptop? If so remove, cause this OS immediately searches for flash drives and ulterior ways to load! Everyone loves the usability of loading OS's through networks these days! Unfortunately, for us solo loaders it can cause a problem! P.S Love the screen name. He is one of the best actors of all times and totally amazes me with his ability to quickly adapt from comedy to drama!!! He is a total asset to all who work with him!
Old 04-07-2012, 06:11 PM

Unhappy
Sorry,but I forgot to write that I unplugged everything what I was able to(USB externals,modem,sd card reader etc)from the laptop.I was read a lot of thread from this (for example in this forum)Most interesting that it was worked on this computer,I was istalled many times!

Here is the contents of the screeen before it stop:
CD loader 1.2

Building the boot loader arguments
Looking up /BOOT/LOADER... Found
Relocating the boot loader and the BTX
Starting the BTX loader

BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.02
Consoles: internal video/keyboard
BIOS CD is cd0
BIOS drive C: is disk0
BIOS 631kB/784448kB available memory
malloc area: 0x2fc06000 - 0x2ff06000

FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
(root@build9x64.pcbsd.org, Tue Dec 27 13:09:45 PST 2011)
Loading /boot/defaults/loader.conf
/boot/kernel/kernel data=0xb8de90 data=0x138810+0115ad0 syms=[0x8+0x1043b8+0x8+
0xedc86]

....and here is stop the machine,sometimes can go away but very very rarely and write "elf 64 corrupt symbol table"

Idea?

The md5 value of my last downloaded file is: b51fcb47dfbb2ff7a94f0aec74304fec

Last edited by Larry Hagman; 04-12-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:45 PM

Unhappy
This is a real problem, not a joke.
Yesterday I had a new idea,once in the Ubuntu the missing battery caused problem, I tried....but nothing.Other:I formatted whole HDD with the most slower speed (with the help of an old XP installer CD)before I installed again,It was almost "virgin".
Old 04-17-2012, 07:52 PM

Have you tried using a 32-bit install image rather than a 64-bit image? The "elf 64 corrupt symbol table" error makes me think that your CPU is only 32-bit and does not support 64-bit installations (although I am not an expert on that...).
Old 04-19-2012, 06:53 PM

Unhappy
Hi!
Naturally I tried install the 32 bit system and the error message was same(the different was that the elf 64 was elf 32),my processor is AMD turion 64 x2,I am not a proffessional,but not a beginner (I HOPE).I wrote the image for single writable,rewritable (2x 4x speed) for DVD Ram media,I wrote with Nero Expressz,Burning Room,Xfburn (Ubuntu) K3B (same Ubuntu),I downloaded the image with other computer across a proxy etc.I tried install the PCBSD 8.2 (not firstly)it was interesting because when the PS menu appeared after a sort time the screen is falled to pieces.I do not understand,these systems correctly worked on this machine!In this time I am using W7 and Ubuntu 11.10 i386 (because the 64bit version is not run perfectly)together without problems (only one thing caused problem for the Ubuntu the missing battery,when chacked the battery state),nothing more.
Maybe this machine is wrong,few weeks ago I changed the cooler fun,but nothing more,after this action the PCBSD worked good.I disassambled this machine ( and a lot of laptops)a lot of times yet.

Last edited by Larry Hagman; 04-19-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:42 PM

Default Hi!My problem is solved!
A BIOS reset solved my problem!I do not understand why.After the first solved case,I was made again the problem (sortlyn same HDD together win 7 and PC BSD by dual boot,after reseize the W7 partition with Partition wizard,becausa I gave too little place for the PC BSD,I could not install again the PC BSD etc) and after the BIOS reset I could again install the PC BSD perfectly on same notebook.