Thank you, sir, for your replies. I started the new thread with a different approach to the same problem, thinking the last thread would be "dead", or not noticed anymore. I still have a bit to learn about forum procedures and practices.
Allow me to explain:
I was evaluating different operating systems out there.
The documentation that was suggested did not seem to apply to my situation.
The Wine Wiki referred to "/dev/ttyS*", which I now learn is not correct for PC-BSD. Using the command "ls -al /dev/ttyS*" produced the response "no match".
Frustrated, I moved on to other systems. I like the PC-BSD interface, so I continue to pursue trying to get it to work for my situation. Learning from other systems, I am trying the "serial permissions" idea, not knowing if it evens applies here.
I see that "ln -al /dev/cuau*" gives a good response, whereas any other letter combination gives "no match".
I tried "ln -s /dev/cuau0 com1" and got no error messages, but no effect either.
I tried "chmod a+rw /dev/cuau0" and saw the expected effect in the response to "ln -al /dev/cuau*", but it too did not get the program to communicate with the serial device.
The same program works (in varying degrees) with the same device on the same computer when using Knoppix, Ubuntu and Fedora. Fedora gave me the "permissions" problem which was fixed with the chmod command.
I continue to try to get PC-BSD to work with my situation. Thanks for your help.