Old 04-07-2012, 03:26 AM

Default KDE apps
What is the minimal that I need to install in order to run the basic KDE apps such as Konq and Kate? I've looked at packages and see several likely ones but the pkg-descr is not clear about what is included. Note that I'm talking about apps not the DE.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:24 AM

It looks like Kate has a port of its own [1]. It is listed as requiring kdelibs4, but I did not see any of the other KDE runtime dependencies. That would actually be a good candidate for a PBI if you want to post a request for it....

Konqeror is included in the kde4-baseapps port [2]. This one requires a lot more dependancies (such as editors/kate), but I think we have a PBI in the works for it anyway.

Both of these two programs should be included in the main KDE system package (I.E. just the base package, the optional KDE sub-packages are not needed)

[1] http://www.freshports.org/editors/kate/
[2] http://www.freshports.org/x11/kde4-baseapps/
Old 04-10-2012, 01:36 AM

Thanks Ken. I'll keep that in mind.

In the meanwhile I had intended to install the kde4-baseapps port (as you suggest) but made a little error and learnt quite a few things about PC-BSD. I accidentally did this:
Code:
# portmanager -u
Everything runs now, but I will have to do more work to keep it going that way because using upgrade manager now breaks it. I am now doing my homework and getting a grip on the differences in management of ports packages and pbi's. I was making some incorrect assumptions before.