Old 03-22-2012, 05:44 PM

Default Ram
I'd get a 2nd stick of 256 RAM. You can never have to much RAM. If it is the kind where one stick is behind the keyboard, that might be too annoying to install. Be sure to get the fastest speed that is supported, not just what physically fits.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:12 PM

It's got a bay with 2 slots in back of the keyboard like you're talking about. It only had one 128MB RAM card when I got it 10-12 years ago and Gateway charged me around $100 for the other one I put in.

I don't know where I'd get memory for it other than ebay and I don't use credit cards so that's not an option. The guy who's sending me the 256MB card is someone from another board I didn't even know that is doing it out of the kindness of his heart.

What I'd really like to do is get my old Gateway PC going. It's got a 500MHz PIII, 256MB RAM, 80GB HD, GeForce2MX, DVD burner and a PC-BSD 1.5.1 build that ran like a top. I've even got a wireless card for it.

I think the power supply has gone out and saw one for about $40 at Staples the other day, I'd almost take a chance on buying one cold and seeing if that wouldn't fix it. It will power up the lights on the keyboard but not cycle through to boot.

Last edited by Weixiong; 03-22-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:54 AM

Default upgrades are possible
Originally Posted by Weixiong View Post
It's got a bay with 2 slots in back of the keyboard like you're talking about. It only had one 128MB RAM card when I got it 10-12 years ago and Gateway charged me around $100 for the other one I put in.

I don't know where I'd get memory for it other than ebay and I don't use credit cards so that's not an option. The guy who's sending me the 256MB card is someone from another board I didn't even know that is doing it out of the kindness of his heart.

What I'd really like to do is get my old Gateway PC going. It's got a 500MHz PIII, 256MB RAM, 80GB HD, GeForce2MX, DVD burner and a PC-BSD 1.5.1 build that ran like a top. I've even got a wireless card for it.

I think the power supply has gone out and saw one for about $40 at Staples the other day, I'd almost take a chance on buying one cold and seeing if that wouldn't fix it. It will power up the lights on the keyboard but not cycle through to boot.
Tigerdirect and Newegg should have the memory for it. You don't need a credit card for tigerdirect, just a checking account. PNY and Kingston RAM websites should also have what you need. This website might help. There are others like it. Http://www.mobile.pcadvisor.co.uk/advisor/upgrade/ For the laptop, upgrading the CPU might not be a good idea. For the desktop, its straightforward. Don't forget about the fan and thermal paste. With the power supply, take the old one out and compare it to the new one physically. Microcenter or Best Buy are your friend. Be sure to get the exact serial number and model for both. A set of computer tools is also a good investment. I'm A+ certified fully.
The Following User Says Thank You to whitelightning777 For This Useful Post:
sg1efc (09-27-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by whitelightning777 View Post
Don't forget about the fan and thermal paste. With the power supply, take the old one out and compare it to the new one physically. Microcenter or Best Buy are your friend. Be sure to get the exact serial number and model for both. A set of computer tools is also a good investment. I'm A+ certified fully.
Thanks for the advise. What exactly am I supposed to be watching for regarding the fan?

I've never changed the power supply but that's about the only thing. It had 128MB RAM, Voodoo3, WinModem and a humongous 13.6GB HD when I got it in '98. I installed the DVD burner and the rest of the stuff. It's a full sized tower and is easy to work in.

It was pretty sweet in the day, though I realize that day was 14 years ago.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:26 PM

Lightbulb Fan
Originally Posted by Weixiong View Post
Thanks for the advise. What exactly am I supposed to be watching for regarding the fan?

I've never changed the power supply but that's about the only thing. It had 128MB RAM, Voodoo3, WinModem and a humongous 13.6GB HD when I got it in '98. I installed the DVD burner and the rest of the stuff. It's a full sized tower and is easy to work in.

It was pretty sweet in the day, though I realize that day was 14 years ago.
When you install a newer CPU into a desktop, even on the same motherboard, it will create more heat then the original one does. A side effect of greater processing power is more heat. Therefore, a new fan and a new CPU together with thermal paste should always be purchased together and treated as a unit. Don't just get the cheapest fan either. :mrgreen:
Old 04-01-2012, 01:18 AM

I finally got the Gateway 1450 Solo laptop with a 1.2 GHz Celeron and 256 RAM I've been messing with the last month set up like I wanted. It's running FreeBSD 7.4, WindowLab as the WM, Opera for a browser, MC for a filemanager and handling the rest with X and the terminal:

X-box

WindowLab takes some getting used to. You can drag an active window behind an inactive one and the toolbar only becomes visible if you right-click on the desktop, but it's using less resources than xclock and I've grown to love it.

There was no way I was going to put XP Home back on it, and I don't care for Linux, but wasn't going to give up till got it running.

Last edited by Weixiong; 04-01-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:47 AM

Hi Weixiong,

I haven't had opportunity to really follow what you're doing, nor comment, but I just wanted to congratulate you on your endeavour. Keeping older machines going is the way to go.

I'm personally a fan of minimalistic computing. In addition to this (now ageing) machine with 3GB ram, I also run, and use all the time, a pure DOS computer. It is networked with this one and I use it for the things that it does much better than BSD or Linux. (That's for another time, hehe.)

Cheers,
Ole
Old 04-03-2012, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
Hi Weixiong,

I haven't had opportunity to really follow what you're doing, nor comment, but I just wanted to congratulate you on your endeavour. Keeping older machines going is the way to go.

I'm personally a fan of minimalistic computing. In addition to this (now ageing) machine with 3GB ram, I also run, and use all the time, a pure DOS computer. It is networked with this one and I use it for the things that it does much better than BSD or Linux. (That's for another time, hehe.)

Cheers,
Ole
Thanks, Ole.

The first computer I used was an old Apple with a real floppy disk and always thought "real computing" was done through the terminal. I don't care if this one runs X or not as long as it's running, I've been having a blast with it.

Edit: The letter I'd been waiting for containing a 256MB stick of RAM arrived today after a small postal snafu. It was the right size, is being recognized and the box seems to be running a lot cooler too.

Last edited by Weixiong; 04-03-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: you got mail
Old 04-16-2012, 11:36 PM

My BIL gave me 2 old Dell PC's today, a Dimension 2400 and a 4600, so I've got some new toys. Neither of them has a HD but that's not an issue.

The 4600 has a 2.80 GHz P4 with 512 RAM and I've already fired it up with a Live USB stick till I can make it to BestBuy for a HD and more RAM.

I haven't messed with the 2600 yet but it looks to be of the same vintage as my old GateWay PC. They both use P133 SDRAM and BestBuy doesn't carry it. The Gateway has a full sized tower and the Dell is a mid sized so I'll see what I can swap out. It's got an 80BG HD with what should be a working PC-BSD 1.5.1 build on it too.

Last edited by Weixiong; 04-18-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:59 PM

Eighty GB isn't such a small amount in practice. Of course with the price of 500GB drives these days, an upgrade isn't such a big deal and you can always re purpose drives in the future.

I put together a server out of scraps a couple of years ago. It was mostly just for educational purposes so I could see how Apache was used on the server end, and to have a dedicated ALSA box. So I learnt how to set up multiple sites and associated databases. That's on an 8GB drive which turned out to be plenty. I did end up adding another 10GB drive which I mounted on /var/www. All in all it's been a very useful addition to the local network. Check it out here.