Old 02-13-2012, 01:54 PM

Default Cannot Get PCBSD 9 in Fullscreen Using VMware Player
This is my first time using BSD of any sort, mainly a windows guy with basic linux knowledge.

I wanted to test out PCBSD so I loaded it up in VMware Player and installed the VMware guest. The only problem I am having right now is that when I make PCBSD fullscreen it still only takes up 1/3 of the screen with the rest being blank. I even setup the correct resolution of my lcd screen with the same results. It is using the vmware driver for the video. My computer should be able to handle anything I throw at it.

Computer Specs as follows:
Intel 2600k i7, X68 chipset motherboard, 16GB 1666MHz DDR3, ATI 6790 Video Card, 60GB SSD SATA 3 OS Drive, 750GB WD Black Data Drive

Last edited by IceDigger; 02-13-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:40 PM

What happens if you change the PCBSD VM's screen resolution up?

On my Gnome install:
System->Preferences->Monitors
Old 02-22-2012, 08:58 PM

Absolutely nothing.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Default Cannot Get PCBSD 9 in Fullscreen Using VMware Player
On my vmware player here, I can run PC-BSD, and use krandrtray to adjust
the size to just about anything..
Old 07-06-2013, 05:35 PM

I'm having problems, too. Let me add that I'm new to virtualization. I downloaded and installed other ISO's and pre-made virtual machines for both vmware player and virtualbox and got them to work fine. First problem I got was with a pre-made fedora machine on vmware player. It wouldn't go full-screen. Problem was solved when I googled it and realized all I had to do was install vmware tools and it would solve itself.

PC-BSD 9.1 was the next machine I tried to install on vmware player and it gave me the same problem. I figured I'd just install vmware tools and it would be fine again. This time, it told me I couldn't even work with vmware tools until I installed some library. I googled how to do that and got the tools installed, but the display issues were not resolved.

I tried installing it on virtualbox and the display was fine, but the mouse cursor was very slow/laggy (also on vmware player, but not near as bad), so I'd love to know how to get it to work well with vmware player.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:42 PM

Default VMWare Guest Screen Resolution
I managed to get it to work from within the operating system under KDE. I went to Application-System Settings and changed the resolution under Display. The correct resolution didn't take effect when the screen settings wizard came up after the install though.