Old 07-30-2011, 10:54 PM

Default test of pcbsd 9.0 2011.07.01
Hi guys.
just feedback my test of the last pcbsd 9 with gnome (love )

first, i started pcbsd with virtualbox 4.1 :
50mo of Ram : very impressive , but some windows contain no text, so it is very difficult to know how to use some software....

I had this problem with my first test of pcbsd 3 years ago (but a "real" install was no problem), so i started to install on usb device (long time...), and the problem were identicals...
Edit : after test with english install, the text in windows is present. I don t know why in French (may be others language) windows are present but the texts disapeared. If it is a tranlsation problem (no translation in french), mail me in order i give words in french.

Ram consommed was 120 mo : good but 3* more than in vbox

impossible for me to update with graphical software....

an important element which is not here is a internet browser.

I have done a magical "pkg_add -r firefox" command line to start surfing but as far i am concerned, command line is not user friendly and it would be very nice if a browser could be present at first installed.
Edit : flash doesn t work on firefox. so sad...
(why not to create some questions before pcbsd install to ask the browser to install (multiple choice between opera, firefox, chromium), the video watch (vlc,...), the software to chat(pidgin,..), office (gnumeric,...), etc...). It is only a suggestion

I tried to install a pbi software but i had an error message (without text ...), so i don t know why it doesn t work (maybe because i need to install kde)
Edit : i discovered pbi software depends of bsd version ( 7, 8 or 9 ). So install a pbi for fbsd 8 in fbsd9 is logicaly incompatible.

An other point is i use with my sreen and a external monitor. If i start with the external monitor, x11 doesn't work (black screen ) (i have no found pbi software like Grandr in order to manage multiple screen)

After start with no external monitor, i test the 1024*800 resolution and it works on my pc (acer aspire one, core 2 duo su9400 with intel gma 4500mhd) (i had a warning message explain to me that this resolution was not tested. The test was concluant)

I can not test no more while graphical bugs are not resolved but i hope this will help .

I want to underline the fact that pcbsd will start with gnome is really important for me because kde take to much time with my pc , so thanks you mister devs !

Don't hesitate to send me a mail for precision or other questions.

Last edited by goraxmax; 07-31-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: second test included
Old 08-02-2011, 07:36 PM

Default Test of pc-bsd 9.0 beta1
First, i tried on virtualbox.
Install failed at the end of the installation (need time to look why)

So i installed on my usb key (real install, but very long time) :
wifi card recognised immediatly (good point)

I have installed chromium and firefox for flash test :
on youtube (and other websites with flash i suppose) :
With firefox (4.0)the window wich contains the videos still black and there is no video starting. However, the shockwave flash plugin is contained in firefox.
With chromium (11) the window wich contains the video still black and a message said : plugin missing.
My conclusion : Flash doesn't works for the moment on pcbsd (i'am sad because while flash doesn't work, it reduces the possibility for me of pcbsd)
(x86 version)

One other question for me : i have an external cd-rom drive wich is plugged in usb on my computer. If i plugg it on my pc with debian started, this one is automatically recognised and i can mount easely with double-clik on icon on pcman. But if i plugg it on my pc with pcbsd started, no event (no auto-mount, no icon on file manager, no messagebox which invites to auto-mount)... I don't know the equivalent command line "lsusb" on fbsd so i can't do nothing.
I recently found that pcbsd show me 2 monitor (i have an external monitor), but i don't know to how to configure clone display or extended desktop...

A good point is some news pbi for pcbsd 9 just arrived and i suppose the number of pbi will increase fast.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Browsers are available via the AppCafe icon on the desktop, so you can
grab FireFox, Chrome, etc

The intel video driver is still pretty flaky on BSD, but that may be
improved here in the near future.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:15 AM

I also could not get flash to work out of the box. I had to follow these steps in the handbook listed here http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...-browsers.html

# ln -s /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so \
/usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/

% nspluginwrapper -v -a -i

After that flash worked fine
Old 08-21-2011, 06:22 PM

Default Test of pc-bsd 9.0 beta1,5
First, i tried to update the version of pc-bsd beta 1 :
i had a problem in virtualbox and with the os version on my usb keys.
Doesn t matter, i have reinstalled pcbsd (beta 1.5) on vbox and on my usb keys.

I precise that the test is used with the cd version 32 bits.

Vbox : i have anderstood why i have no internet connection, pcbsd on vbox (4.0.12) has ipv6 started and no ipv4 (and my local network uses ipv4) (impossible to desactivate ipv6). So i winned to start ipv4, i can ping google, but no applications (appcafe, "pkg_add -r firefox" command line or update manager, i have this answer from the xterm "Service not available, closing control connection unable to fetch XXX bu URL"...). I hope in a few time i will be able to have internet with pcbsd in vbox in order to produce test mor quickly.

So i rebooted my pc and started pcbsd on my usbkey.
First impression : there is less lagu in using the 1,5 beta ( i suppose i lagu because i am using pcbsd installed on a usb keys)

First test, i installed firefox (v4, the v6 is not available for pcbsd 9) and chromium and started flash (tested on youtube). And the result was very satisfied for me : it works!!!
A little tear falled from my eye...
So i tried to fullscreen , exit full screen, and i found no any problem (just somes slow problem but i like to suppose that is because my usb key)
Very good job devellopers!thanksfull

So i tried to open a folder on a second usb keys insered : first i inserted it, and nothing passed (like a box which propose you to mount automatically the drive). So i go to the log in /var and found the driver is named da1s1
and i had be able to mount the drive with a mount command line.
I tried to found an option in "pc-bsd control panel" or "customize look and feel" in order to mount automatically drive but i not found. I opened the file manager and in the left part of the windows, no drive to mount is appeared, like my actual operating system (linux) ( this link ( a screenshot of my file manager) in order to be fully anderstood http://www.pixyup.com/uploads/212007444e5149705bde8.png )

=>I think an option to mount automatically drive "usb keys, external hdd,...." and a double-click on drive in file manager to mount it would be very appreciate by all of users and pcbsd could be more userfriendly.

Sound is ok. wifi too. The scroll option on my touchpad doesn't exist but it is not a critical problem.

Next, i tested wine : installed correctly. After the first started, wine explained to me it will install gecko , but the install has not finished. However, the wine-cfg works.

I tested pc-bsd during some few hours and no critical bugs
There is a lack of .pbi v9 so, there is a problem to test more applications, but there is more and more pbi v9 every days

About it, i have tried to contribute more in create .pbi. The concept is clear in my head, but i am not good as to create .pbi alone now and if some one could send me an example (like an "how to" create firefox.pbi v9 ), or a videos, i (and i suppose not just me) could help to create and maintain the .pbi versions.

The global result is the 1.5 beta gain good point as the 1.0 beta :
flash works, less lagu (lagus because my usb keys). I hope to install pcbsd on my internal hdd when pcbsd will be released.
Thanksfull again to the pcbsd devellopers.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Default Test of pc-bsd 9.0 beta1,5
Glad its working better for you!

After you insert a USB stick, can you send output of "dmesg" so we can
see what it shows up as?

If you want to learn how to build PBIs, take a look here:
http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/PBI_..._Builder_Guide

Also, "man pbi_makeport" is helpful
Old 08-22-2011, 08:58 PM

Hello, i am ready to do a dmesg, but how to export the result of the command in a file under fbsd???
Old 08-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Administrator

dmesg > filename
Old 08-23-2011, 08:01 PM

thanks for the command

just here the result of the command for usb :

ugen3.2: <vendor 0x1bcf> at usbus3 (disconnected)
ums0: at uhub3, port 2, addr 2 (disconnected)
ugen3.2: <vendor 0x10d6> at usbus3
umass1: <vendor 0x10d6 USB 2.0FS FLASH DISK, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2> on usbus3
umass1: 8070i (ATAPI) over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x0000
umass1:7:1:-1: Attached to scbus7
da1 at umass-sim1 bus 1 scbus7 target 0 lun 0
da1: <USB2.0 (FS) FLASH DISK 1.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da1: 1.000MB/s transfers
da1: 497MB (1019617 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 497C)
Old 08-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Administrator

I just glanced at the subject, is this the old PC-BSD snapshot? The
auto-mount stuff for USB sticks went into BETA1 / BETA1.5