Old 02-24-2011, 10:45 PM

Unhappy PC-BSD 8.2 (Problems)
Hi there,

I have some problems to solve.

I am running PC-BSD 8.2 AMD64 on a ZOTAC GeForce 9300-ITX Board with 4GB RAM and a C2Q Q9550 CPU.

First question: Is PC-BSD 8.2 officially, I could not find an announcement on pcbsd.org. I have seen on DistroWatch that the ISOs are downloadable.

After installing and selecting German as my Language, Germany as my timezone and a German keyboard-layout I still only got a German keyboard.

1. ) I had to set timezone with `tzsetup`. (Thanks again for helping me with that in my last thread)

2. ) I had to install a second time because I lost the Kickoff-Button and the whole control bar after deleting a file on the desktop with the context-menue. I know it sounds weird. But that is what happend...

3. ) I had to set the Firefox and Thunderbird to german. The little flag in the lower right corner still insist that en-US is the standard. It shouldn't. My standard language is german.

4. ) Firefox is freezing for some 30 seconds each time I close a page with some flash items on it. When I abort FF I get an error which say something like:
Quote:
kdialog(14388)/kdeui (KIconLoader) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Failed to establish shared memory mapping, will fallback to private memory -- memory usage will increase
:1: error: unexpected character `\17', expected keyword - e.g. `style'

(process:15060): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.
*** NSPlugin Viewer *** WARNING: unhandled variable 18 (<unknown variable>) in NPN_GetValue()

(npviewer.bin:15060): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtcurve",
:1: error: unexpected character `\17', expected keyword - e.g. `style'
*** NSPlugin Viewer *** WARNING: unhandled variable 18 (<unknown variable>) in NPN_GetValue()

(npviewer.bin:15060): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
*** NSPlu......[snip]
5. ) the first choice of Virtual Box is WinXP and not FreeBSD/PC-BSD :-(.

6. ) For FreeBSD Virtual Box defaults to 128MB RAM and 2GB disk and not >512 MB RAM and more than 12/16/20 GB disk (can't remember the correct value) which PC-BSD needs to run or even is installable.

I had have Aptosid linux running for the last 2 years. Aptosid also has KDE as the primary desktop environment. I want to have an integration of KDE on FreeBSD which is nearly as perfect as that off aptosid.

I will try to get more spare time to get this resolved....

/gT/