Old 10-09-2010, 07:56 PM

Default good read
Well worth the money. For me it filled in some missing gaps as far as how to build a PBI. It also exploits some interesting features which make KDE very useful.

I'm still finding a few questions left unanswered which maybe I will post to requests later on. Though I would definitely recommend this book for those learning how to use BSD as a home desktop or workstation OS.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:05 PM

Thumbs down keyboard layout
There's nothing in there about how to correct the US keyboard to UK. Although it's possible to correct it without Xorg (using the command line only) Chapter 6 is silent on the important issue of overcoming wrong keyboard layouts.

Last edited by embien; 12-26-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Did the Regional and Language section on page 151 not work? KDE also needs to know what your layout is, not just X.

If you're curious as to what files the installer edits when you choose your locale during installation, read through /PCBSD/pc-sysinstall/backend/functions-localize.sh.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:48 AM

Seems to be quite an informative book on how to build a PBI and it’s great to hear reviews about good books here as there are so many in the market these days that you really have no idea about which the good ones are!! Will definitely look this one up – sure it’ll come in useful for my project work!!

Last edited by fase; 07-16-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:16 PM

Smile Thank you.
Originally Posted by drulavigne View Post
Did the Regional and Language section on page 151 not work? KDE also needs to know what your layout is, not just X.

If you're curious as to what files the installer edits when you choose your locale during installation, read through /PCBSD/pc-sysinstall/backend/functions-localize.sh.
Many thanks for these useful hints. Chapter 7 has just proved very useful. I was trying to rsync a FreeBSD box to the PC-BSD box and the ssh connection was refused. I found the firewall gui, and tried adding ssh to the list of Exceptions. It only worked upon using ifconfig to work out which of 2 NICs was being used. The Exceptions tab lists both NICs. Then restarting the firewall was essential to allowing ssh to work. Many thanks for a great text.

Last edited by embien; 07-25-2013 at 08:28 PM.