Old 10-15-2010, 02:49 PM

Default Where did you come from?/Why
Before you got to PC-BSD.

Well *nix wise, here is my chart.

Mandriva(1yr)-Ubuntu(3months)-Fedora(two weeks)-ubuntu(2 years)-Gentoo (3months) Then i landed here.

Add windows XP, and Seven in there between ubuntu and Gentoo. Thats my trail. I came here because my dad swears by BSD. When he managed an ISP every server that it could be was FreeBSD. When he discovered PC-BSD, he litteraly jumped. . I came to learn, found a small enough community that would be great to jumpstart!
Old 10-31-2010, 05:21 PM

I am from india . I am Multibooting gentoo , Ubuntu , pc bsd and tinyme . Have 2tb hard disk . I love testing new os . Gentoo and pc bsd are my default . Just change other 2 when new are release.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:05 PM

Off the top of my head.... UNIX-wise my journey went:

SunOS for two years, Slackware for a year, Mandriva for two or three years, Red Hat and Fedora for around six years and Mint for around a year.

I started playing with PC-BSD around the same time I started using Mint.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:12 AM

Since 1985, I have used CP/M, TP/M (Epson's proprietary version of CP/M), MS-DOS, DR-DOS, OS2 Warp, Windows 2, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Linux - Suse 10 to 11.3, Sabayon, VectorLinux, Mint, FreeBSD, PC-BSD, OpenSolaris and Solaris.
My favourties over the years have been Suse and PC-BSD especially since ZFS.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:20 PM

first os i used when i was a kid was windows 3.1. moved from that to windows 95, then to xp. got my first computer (thatwas actually mine, and not a family members) which had 98 on it and wanted to try linux. i got redhat 9 cause the isos were on fileplanet (hey, i was new to the scene). after that, moved to debian, then fedora for a year or 2, then ubuntu. got really sick of that ubuntu garbage, and have been stuck with windows 7 cause of school. possibly looking to pcbsd as a duel boot for my school laptop, or at the minimum, installed on a portable hard disk so i can boot when plugged in.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:58 AM

From DOS to windows 3, to '95, '98, 2000, XP. In the mean time experimenting with Linux from time to time (but didn't like it). Installed FreeBSD in the past but couldn't get it to work. Installed PC-BSD in the past but it crashed. Went back to windows. Am currently on FreeBSD 8.1, but seriously, it is still a pain in the ass. Getting the system itself + X installed isn't a problem, but then the problems start. Try to get a DVD-burner to work: K3B comes with a list of 10 'do this manually when installing on FreeBSD'. Try to install a normal parallel printer: CUPS, lpd, they refuse to work. It's a horror, which I regret because I really don't like MS crap anymore and really believe in FreeBSD.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:11 AM

Default from where to here at PC-BSD...
Back in 1986, Dos-5.0...on an xt computer, 8-mhz system, 1.5-inch tall fm-harddrive. That was my first computer that I bought from a friend.

286,s with Dos 6.20; 386's with Win 3.1; 486's with Win 95a; 586's with Win98se.

Then started playing with Redhat 5.2 back then. Went back to Mickey, Windows 2000 pro (the first good windows). Really got to like Mandrake. Went to Windows XP for a while, but it is really 2000 with more eye-candy.

Vista sucked on my first laptop, so found PCLinuxOS-kde through a friend of mine. Man...never had Linux so easy/great as it. Stayed with it for almost 2 years. It was good, but like so many Linux versions... one has something the other has not.

Yesterday started reading on the net all about the history-to-today of UNIX. Made me want to try it. Well yah right.

So links/sites were saying that if you/I want to try UNIX, we/I ought to try BSD as a starter. Downloaded the latest FreeBSD and burned it, and installed it onto my tower. Sad story........ it totally killed any chance of booting into my Windows-7-pro....grrr! Had to install Win7 and install everything from scratch....grrr!

Googled some more. It suggested PC-BSD as a more user friendly install/version of BSD. Downloaded, burnt, installed... and here I am.

Feels good to be more at the root of where it all happens. Still much to learn. So be patient with me......... :-)
Old 12-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sam2fish View Post

So links/sites were saying that if you/I want to try UNIX, we/I ought to try BSD as a starter. Downloaded the latest FreeBSD and burned it, and installed it onto my tower. Sad story........ it totally killed any chance of booting into my Windows-7-pro....grrr! Had to install Win7 and install everything from scratch....grrr!
Actually instead of completely reinstalling Windows 7 use your Windows 7 CD and choose the Windows Recovery option to repair or rewrite the MBR (Master Boot Record).
Old 12-01-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Galraedia View Post
Actually instead of completely reinstalling Windows 7 use your Windows 7 CD and choose the Windows Recovery option to repair or rewrite the MBR (Master Boot Record).
I did do that, it showed that the write was successful, but no windows mbr.

When you go the the command prompt window which shows up as an X:\

I did as googled, went to x:\windows\boot. Typed "bootsect /nt60 c:", also tried "bootsect /nt60 /mbr".

Both showed that they wrote to the drive, but still no windows boot.

I put in a Linux live-cd and checked the drive. The C-drive was still there, including all the folders. Just no way to boot to it.

The windows install was lagging a bit from a lot of installing and un-installing, so I wasn't that upset about it. Just having to admit defeat was the worst... Ce la vie
Old 12-02-2010, 04:18 AM

Smile
Well, I think PC-BSD 8.1 is good, even though I still have some problems. I believe someone in the Forums will find an answer for that, and I am not going to leave PC-BSD. The only problem right now is that I can't get the Seagate Expansion Drive to open up. Everything else works.

I downloaded the PC-BSD 9.0 to find out maybe this external HDD would work with it, but it didn't. I found out that this external HDD has ntfs, by using the Krusader. I have given a wrong reply to the Forum earlier.

I find the 8.1 desktop nicer than the 9.0 desktop, well it is a personal liking.

I wish the PC-BSD people and the FreeBSD people good luck! I hope they can find a way to make Google Sketchup and Autocad work in PC-BSD