Old 03-27-2014, 02:24 PM

Question New user confusion - PBIs vs Ports
Apologies for what is a really basic question. I'm a new user and have tried hard to do the usual searches to find the answer myself, but just can't get my head around it.

I'm using PCBSD v9.1 and am confused on the subject of the best way to install software. All the PCBSD guides I've read seem to strongly suggest using AppCafe and the associated PBIs. That's certainly an easy route, if the software is already in the Cafe.

But what if I wanted something like "Gallery3"? Should I be installing that through the regular FreeBSD ports method? Or using EasyPBI and turning the FreeBSD port into a PCBSD PBI? Or something else entirely?

Currently on my system I've ended up with some apps installed from the AppCafe and others built from the ports system, and it feels a bit odd like that.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-27-2014, 02:49 PM

PBI's and ports/package can co-exist just fine on your system, so don't let that bother you too much... :-)
We usually recommend PBI's if there is one available because it is simple and easy to use while keeping the base system unchanged. If there is not a PBI available in the AppCafe, it really depends on how much work you want to put into it.... :-)

If you want to convert your port/package into a PBI to take advantage of the additional security/stability of the PBI system, then definitely use EasyPBI to try built your own custom PBI. Other cases where you might want to build a PBI first is when the app you need conflicts with some package you already have installed on your system. Since PBI's are kept seperate, it should work just fine without having to resolve those conflicts. FYI: Going this route will take a bit more effort than just building the port/package.

However, some applications simply do not work properly as 9.x PBI's (because they build in a different localbase), so if you run into one of these then you definitely need to install the port/package instead. Other applications that simply work better as port/package installs are things like terminal emulators, application launchers, and DE-integrated applications (KDE apps are the worst offenders for this).

I hope this helps!
Old 03-27-2014, 03:19 PM

Hello Ken. Thanks for the quick reply.

So just to make sure I've understood you correctly, here's what I propose to do.

1. Search for a PBI in the AppCafe. If it's available then I'll install it.
2. Otherwise I'll build from the port, and it's nothing to worry about.

And I also get the impression that EasyPBI is more for the application developer to turn their own application into a PBI so it could be included in the AppCafe. That is, as I'm just a casual user, it's unlikely I'd use EasyPBI. Is that about right?

Thanks again!

PS: I should mention that my PCBSD 9.1 system has been running great since I built it a year ago. 24Tb of disks in a raidz2 configuration providing a NAS and webserver. I'm happy I chose this O/S !
Old 03-27-2014, 07:26 PM

Yes, that is all correct. PBIs are the easy way to get new software. However, when a PBI does not exist in AppCafe, then you can install the software from Ports.

EasyPBI is more for develoeprs or people working to create additional PBIs for other people. You can try to create a PBI from an existing port if you like, but in all probably you will just want to install your software from Ports.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:38 PM

I would say that EasyPBI really can be used by non-developers too. The only time you would need to have knowledge of programming or shell scripting is if you want to make special changes to an application (something not done by the port - like wrapper scripts and such). For a standard PBI conversion that hardest thing would be to create your desktop/menu entries for the application, but even that only takes a few moments for a regular user without development experience.

BTW: Using EasyPBI for 10.x only takes about 2% of the time that using EasyPBI for 9.x requires. This is mainly because on 9.x you have to actually compile the port to build the PBI, whereas on 10.x it is tied into the package system and will simply use the pre-compiled packages instead - taking almost no time and also removing the worry about whether a particular port is currently broken in the FreeBSD ports tree. The newer EasyPBI also pre-fills a lot more of the application information for the PBI by pulling that information from the port/package as well, again making it much easier to build custom PBI's as the need arises.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:43 PM

Default Software adding
I use 9.1 too under KDE, and as far as I can see there are at least 6 ways to add software.
1. App Cafe- pretty cool, I added FireFox, FileZilla, other useful stuff, easy!
2. Easy PBI- haven't used it yet, but sounds useful, not sure where the software comes from ( FreeBSD Ports Repository, ?).
3. pkg on the command line- Wow, put py27-tkinter on beautifully, I guess from the FreeBSD Ports Repository.
4. Beanpole-suggested github method, a little more complicated, but sounds good. Not sure where the software is coming from, github wherever that is.
5. Update Manager, under Control Panel. Looks like a major updater for the system, not something to add a minor piece of software with.
6. Build from source with make- May the force be with you, Luke.
just sayin ya' know.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:48 PM

Let me see if I can clear up some of this confusion with a quick (I.E. pretty bad) diagram to help you see the distinctions between all the different methods you mentioned and how they tie together.

Application development model on FreeBSD/PC-BSD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Code -> FreeBSD Port -> FreeBSD Package -> PC-BSD 10.x PBI

OR

Source Code -> FreeBSD Port -> PC-BSD 9.x PBI
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can technically install software from anywhere along the development chain, it just gets more difficult the earlier back you go, but you can get the most recent version of a utility the earlier you go as well. The "GitHub" method you mentioned is simply going right to the PC-BSD source code (the beginning of the chain), instead of waiting a bit for the simpler methods to become available.

EasyPBI is just a utility to make the jump from a FreeBSD port/package to a PBI on your local system, and the AppCafe if just a utility to download/install pre-built PBI's (usually from the PC-BSD project - but that is not required).
This is analogous to the relationship between FreeBSD ports/packages: packages are just pre-built ports that you fetch from somewhere else, while the ports system lets you build it yourself on your local system.

Does this help?

Last edited by Beanpole; 03-28-2014 at 05:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beanpole For This Useful Post:
bobk48 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 07:46 PM

Smile You're top of the line dude!
Very clear and articulate explanation, very helpful too! I haven't tried that github install of the new mount tray, I would like to look over the source code that's posted on your discussion thread to see if I can get a feel for what you did, I'm interested. I will be following this diagram for many installs on 9.1 and 10. Thanks!