Old 10-27-2013, 12:59 AM

Default Thinking about using PC-BSD
Hi,

I'm setting up a new workhorse pc. I don't need a whole lot, but I do some web development, and would like to have a winamp alternative to play net radio with, and do flash video. Got to watch Jon Stewart and listen to 3wk. I read a thread about some people having issue with Flash, although the thread was a year old. Is this a common problem? Is there a winamp alternative?

I've heard a lot of good things about ubuntu, I've also heard bad things too. But, it seems like ubuntu has an ease of use quality such as installing a workable user interface, and a usable application, os, security update/installation tool. How does PC-BSD compare?

I really don't care if program icons do back flips through hoops of flame. I just want the program to start. I understand that gnome is the less fancy of the windows lot. Is this a choice in PC-BSD, or is PC-BSD married to something like KDE or whatever the fancy one is?

It's been a long time since I messed FreeBSD. I set up a web dev box, but it was all command line. But, I liked it over Linux. It seemed to be easier to learn.

Thanks for any replies you might have.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:24 PM

Winamp alternatives are abundant, xmms, audacious etc, just check the multimedia and audio sections in AppCafe.
Flash can be tricky in Firefox, I myself have to restart Firefox sometimes to have it work, or just use Chromium for Flash where it works flawlessly (well, as flawlessly as Flash is going to get...).

Some people have called PCBSD the Ubuntu of the BSD world. Since I came to dislike Ubuntu in recent months/years, I'd say PCBSD is a better alternative. It makes things easy for new users without making it hard for more experienced ones. But you'd have to try it and make up your own mind here.

There are several supported WindowManagers you can chose from, including KDE and Gnome, and several unsupported ones that needs a bit more work on your side but still provide the nice PCBSD tools, so just try them out. PCBSD was married to KDE once, but they divorced a while ago; PCBSD now works with arbitrary WMs, just better with some (the supported ones) than others.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:24 PM

Thanks for your reply. Since I made that post, I did find a lot of info in the documentation, and some of my previous experience can back to mind. I might try to document my experience for other new users to use.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:43 PM

Flash for FreeBSD is certainly not as easy as I'd like. Linux has a better Flash it seems, and by chance, you can load Linux Flash and use that - see "bsdtutorials" for a video.

KDE is the default desktop in PC-BSD but you have other alternatives - Gnome 2, Xfce, Lxde etc. AppCafe and the PBI applications are an easy way to get familiar with FreeBSD (PC-BSD is effectively FreeBSD made easier).

Applications? Comparable in quantitiy and variety to Linux - but with the UNIX consistency.

PC-BSD's target is 64 bit systems with lots of memory and multiple hard-disks, to get the maximum benefit from ZFS (file system) and its RAID and snapshot capabilities.

Oh, I use PC-BSD as my main system, even though there are some things such as USB stick use that I have yet to resolve (you will need to install support for exfat from ports, and there are a couple of "features" that I'd like to see fixed regarding auto-mounting of non-file manager and permissions when copying files to a USB stick).

Rgds
Old 10-27-2013, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by GeoffShep View Post
Flash for FreeBSD is certainly not as easy as I'd like. Linux has a better Flash it seems, and by chance, you can load Linux Flash and use that - see "bsdtutorials" for a video.

KDE is the default desktop in PC-BSD but you have other alternatives - Gnome 2, Xfce, Lxde etc. AppCafe and the PBI applications are an easy way to get familiar with FreeBSD (PC-BSD is effectively FreeBSD made easier).

Applications? Comparable in quantitiy and variety to Linux - but with the UNIX consistency.

PC-BSD's target is 64 bit systems with lots of memory and multiple hard-disks, to get the maximum benefit from ZFS (file system) and its RAID and snapshot capabilities.

Oh, I use PC-BSD as my main system, even though there are some things such as USB stick use that I have yet to resolve (you will need to install support for exfat from ports, and there are a couple of "features" that I'd like to see fixed regarding auto-mounting of non-file manager and permissions when copying files to a USB stick).

Rgds

Hi GeoffShep,

Can you refer the bug reports in trac for the USB features that you want to be fixed? If the bug is confirmed and the bug reports are not created yet, please create the bug reports and post the bug report link here and on the General Bug Reports section of the forum
Old 10-27-2013, 11:40 PM

cab,

Sorry if I sound grumpy with the below, since I've been working all night however:

exfat - driver cannot be included with base install because of licencing - user must do it themselves - a howto is needed which I intend to do eventually. The lack of any way for many people to load exfat is a significant problem for PC-BSD and going to get bigger.

Firefox instead of file manager - well known problem, which may well be on the list of things that are almost fixed.

Permissions problem when copying to the USB stick - I've reported it multiple times over the last few months and there appears no interest in fixing it. It is on my list of things to look at with mount instructions, since Linux has no problems with the same thing.

Rgds.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:48 PM

@GeoffShep
Just a quick summary of the issues you referred to:

1) Exfat - as you mentioned - is out of our hands due to the licensing issues.
2) Firefox as a FM: This is a known issue with the "xdg-open" utility at the moment. Last I heard the utility was being fixed and should be updated here in the near future., although there is a workaround for the mount-tray here[1].

3) Permissions issues when copying files is a very vague issue. I can think of a couple possible problems off the top of my head:
(a) The filesystem on the USB stick does not support file/user permissions (like the FAT filesystem).
(b) The utility being used to copy the files is not working properly (or is poorly written).

Neither of these issues are related to PC-BSD, and need to be addressed individually.

[1] http://forums.pcbsd.org/showpost.php?p=109284
Old 10-29-2013, 01:18 AM

Ken,

First, don't mis-understand my critisism of the USB issues - it is more concern that this is a problem that needs to be fixed.

(I realise that this is thread drift, however .. )

I'm not so sure the ex-fat issue IS out of your hands. (I'm bringing this up as a suggestion to be thought about). Debian and a few other Linux distros have a fuse package for this that can be simply "apt-get install exfat-fuse" or whatever the package is. The source code is on Google code. There is a FreeBSD port. Even a "How To" on how to do the port would be good for people. It is my intention when I have the time to go through the steps of working out how to install the port and set the rc.conf settings (which I know is not hard, but will take me a quiet time to think about) Part of the answer is here ..

I have worked out a satisfactory way of copying files TO a USB stick, which involves manually mounting the stick to a mount directory INSIDE my home directory. Obviously I need to stop the mount-tray utility to do all this. Dolphin and the other graphical utilities then copy the appropriate files to the stick without setting a warning window that needs to be dismissed. (I'm still taking drugs to get over the time I had to dismiss 700 of these things).

This is for everyone else, since I know you know all this ..

Code:
% ls /dev/da*
... returns something like /dev/da0 and /dev/da0s1
... create a mount directory in home directory .. say ~/mnt

Code:
% mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 ./mnt
now open Dolphin or whatever and copy to your heart's content.

Finally thanks for listening. I'll post a copy etc to an appropriate thread later.

Rgds

Last edited by GeoffShep; 10-29-2013 at 01:21 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GeoffShep For This Useful Post:
anika200 (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 12:56 PM

I don't have any flash problems with PC-BSD, though I mainly use it with Youtube. Youtube vidoes are nicely viewable with Chromium or Firefox.

Generally I like this system quite much, in fact when I boot my desktop machine, I usually start PC-BSD, instead of OpenSuse or Win7.

There are some rough edges, like need to use sound configuration tool to headphones (in dedicated headphone jack, instead of auto recognising them when plugged in, but most things work just fine.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:43 PM

same here as duval..
i have set pcbsd as the default boot on my triple boot along side win7 and Arch.
something is there in pcbsd that makes me inclined towards using this as my default OS though Arch is eually liked and is faster in boot and work ways.... !
i watch movies, listen to audio from pcbsd and use html5 for chromium and firefox to render you tube videos !